Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'd hazard a guess that it will. However, seeing that you appear to be a driving instructor, it may well not see enough high-speed driving to show a difference.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I still have to drive between customers - and pupils nearer the the test will certainly be driving at the national limit - 60 or 70 mph, depending on the road!

Just as a matter of interest - I've started making pupils aware of my Ultraguage. I show them the difference in consumption -which can be quite a lot - when using the correct gear. I also find DWB (Driving without brakes) is an excellent way to encourage planning and anticipation. They often drive and change gear much more smoothly....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Out of curiosity: do you actively teach efficient driving techniques? (Meaning: is it specifically part of the curriculum?)

I taught driving part-time for a couple of years while I was a university student. Efficiency techniques were the focus of one of the 12 in-car sessions that made up the course, and it was part of the classroom section as well.

A ScanGauge/Ultragauge for that in-car lesson would have been a fantastic tool.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsway View Post
I still have to drive between customers - and pupils nearer the the test will certainly be driving at the national limit - 60 or 70 mph, depending on the road!

Just as a matter of interest - I've started making pupils aware of my Ultraguage. I show them the difference in consumption -which can be quite a lot - when using the correct gear. I also find DWB (Driving without brakes) is an excellent way to encourage planning and anticipation. They often drive and change gear much more smoothly....
No doubt. That was how I was raised by my dad, look far enough ahead to not need brakes.
For the last 25 years I have made a game out of it with my wife. My family is a 3 hour drive across the mountains, and she can sleep in the car. My big challenge is changing freeways and negotiating interchanges without waking her up.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DWB is certainly a more relaxing way to drive!

'Ecodriving' with the emphasis on producing less CO2, is a small part of the syllabus here in the UK. But only a very small part.

I'm considering the idea of trying to offer some coaching sessions on how to be more fuel-efficient. Having immediate feedback on the dashboard is the key... Driving to a vacuum-gauge is much more boring, and you start to wonder if it's worth the trouble!

This would only be viable with my bigger car. With the little automatic, if I hypermile my brains out I can get a maximum of around 39mpg (imp) as against 36mpg (imp) normal driving...

However I did another coast down test from 50-40 today in the little car.
When the engine has just reached running temp, it takes 9 seconds to slow to the lower speed. When the car is thoroughly warmed-up, the time goes up to 15 seconds (today there was a headwind on both tests)

So the temperature of the transmission appears to make more difference than anything else! I looked for some fully synthetic ATF today. but could see only semi-synthetic... Might help a little?

Last edited by kingsway; 03-07-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I've now done some slightly more valid test-runs. I found it very difficult, if the traffic is quiet, theirs too much wind or vice versa...etc etc !

Having discovered what a big difference in drag there is between a warm and a cold transmission, I pretty much convinced myself I was originally mistaken when I thought it was the airdam that seemed to be reducing drag.

I tried some coast-down tests today with the dam both on and off the car. I made sure both engine and transmission were properly warmed-up..

I'm not going to claim any great accuracy, but the airdam undoubtably has a quite noticeable effect!

The time to slow from 50 to 40 is, on average, about 3 to 5 seconds longer with the airdam in place.

The most suprising thing about this is the fact the dam is so flexible, it could only be folding back under the car to at least some extent under the influence of the oncoming airflow - so perhaps if the final version is more rigid the effect may be increased?

On my last tank-full I saw an average consumption of 43mpg (imp) - up from 36mpg previously. (P&G was the major reason for this)

When I get time, I'd like to try a full under-belly pan..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingsway For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-12-2012), MetroMPG (03-10-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Infiniti - '11 Infiniti G25X AWD
90 day: 29.82 mpg (US)
Does anyone have any test data on a front air dam?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Panzerwagon - '02 Skoda Fabia
90 day: 53.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsway View Post
Just a quick OT, do you tend to start learner off-street in car parks and such?

My first lesson involved driving on the street 10 minutes in and doing 60 mph on the way home.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningStrong View Post
Just a quick OT, do you tend to start learner off-street in car parks and such?

My first lesson involved driving on the street 10 minutes in and doing 60 mph on the way home.
Where possible, yes. But it usually isn't possible *, so it's a matter of finding an area that's as quiet as possible - one of the challenges of being a Driving Instructor in this crowded little island! ( I have great sympathy for those ADI's who work in places like London....)

I do have the advantage of also having a little automatic car - so I usually start a novice off in that, and switch them to the 'manual' once they're a bit more confident with the basics of making it stop, start and go in the right direction.

* We are usually banned from most car-parks! The chances of a learner in a dual-controlled car, under the supervision of a qualified ADI, hitting a car in a car park are almost zero - but a customer will complain to the supermarket, who are then worried they might be liable if something did go wrong, so we get kicked out. Not sure where people think novices are supposed to learn... Most of my pupils can park a lot more safely and accurately than the general public! (Like all Instructors, BTW, I carry a couple of million Pounds worth of Public Liability Insurance)

Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Panzerwagon - '02 Skoda Fabia
90 day: 53.88 mpg (US)
Ah the wonders of living near one of Thatcher's enterprise zones, an empty car park is never far away.

Reply  Post New Thread