Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I like how the trailer skirts go all the way back... have often wondered why all of them don't.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I like how the trailer skirts go all the way back... have often wondered why all of them don't.
Frank,tell me if sounds crazy.
Long ago I was told that essentially every rig would have to have at least one 'HUB-O-METER' on the trailer.Highway Patrol officers would be able to compare the mileage off the meter to logbook entries,to make sure drivers weren't cooking the books.
If so,would the officers want ready access to the axles in order to 'read' the numbers?
Could this explain perhaps why,so far,the wheels have been 'open'?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Any scraping issues with that big long low nose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Here in the Denton area you'd never be able to make a delivery without shredding the nose off the tractor.
Between the crown for runoff during torrential downpours,gutters,and driveway ramps,vehicles already designed with SAE specifications for approach,brake-over,and departure angles are being torn to pieces attempting to enter or leave delivery areas.
I'd hate to see that beautiful snout do a ground strike!
The low clearance and front overhang is definitely a concern. This vehicle will be used to document the aerodynamic concepts. I just have to be careful with that clearance. But I have owned Corvettes where one has to go up and down ramps and inclines at a 45 degree angle, so as to not scrape in front. You definitely could not give the keys of this truck to an average or below average driver, and expect him or her to not bust it up. In a perfect world, with a lot of cash and a little engineering, the whole front end would be ground effect dynamic. High when slow, and low when at highway speed. The guys with the real expensive motor homes have a lot of low overhang. Of course, if they can afford one of those, they have the cash on hand to repair any accidents.

http://www.airflowtruck.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Shepherd777 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-16-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Normally, there is not enough clearance between the inside of the skirts and the tire sidewalls to completely cover the tires.

We worked with the engineers at Alcoa Wheels, Michelin Truck Tires, and Strick Trailers to approve a wheel/tire super-single combo that uses an inboard offset that is as stable as a trailer with 8 conventional tires. This combo has the same track as dual tires, in other words. So there is now 4" of clearance between the inside of the skirts and the tire sidewalls.

This is the only trailer in the world with this exclusive feature, as far as we know.

Last edited by Shepherd777; 03-10-2012 at 05:44 PM..
aerohead (03-16-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great looking rig. As for blowing follow ecomodders off the road, don't worry since our front airdams provide enough downforce to keep us in our lane. Just make sure the mirrors are adjusted so you can see us surfing the vortex wave at the back of the trailer.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Re: skirts all the way back: they couldn't bulge out a bit by the tires to clear 'em?
Nope. Commercial motor vehicles, other than expensively temporarily-permitted wide loads, are limited to 102" wide, and no more. And that trailer and those skirts are already 102" wide.

Cd (06-27-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
Nope. Commercial motor vehicles, other than expensively temporarily-permitted wide loads, are limited to 102" wide, and no more. And that trailer and those skirts are already 102" wide.
Indeed, and there are many states with limited access roads posted at a max of 96".
Bravo on this, I really hope to check it out in person some day. I lived by that 102" rule with the excavator I moved about. It was exactly 102 and you had to load it perfectly to keep the man happy.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Was eastbound on IH-10 in a 367 Pete and a single hopper pneumatic very near Houston on Sunday morning and this truck passed us on the westbound side . . . or the OP needs to be looking to see who is stealing his thunder!!

Shoulda heard the CB chatter (all you others).

Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

That was us slowmover. We delivered yesterday in Brownsville, and picked up a load of Sony products in Laredo this morning. We are currently north of Austin after a one hour traffic jam having a dinner break. We are trying to get past Big D traffic towards Texarkana. Delivering in Ohio on Friday morning.

I have a CB radio, but I never have it on as most of the truck drivers are not as "enlightened" as you are. If I had it on, we could have met there in Houston.

Anyone have anything good to say on the CB???

Last edited by Shepherd777; 05-01-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
The low clearance and front overhang is definitely a concern. This vehicle will be used to document the aerodynamic concepts. I just have to be careful with that clearance. You definitely could not give the keys of this truck to an average or below average driver, and expect him or her to not bust it up. In a perfect world, with a lot of cash and a little engineering, the whole front end would be ground effect dynamic. High when slow, and low when at highway speed.
Id hate to barge in on the thread or anything(respectful newbie here), but boy do i love editing pics for an example.. so ill just throw them in the attached section? Maybe this has been thought of already?, but if not. May give others and yourself somewhere to brainstorm along

1)) A small section of nose piece(this area, looks to me as an additional extending piece from stock dimensions)
...Could be attached to a rail/guide system. Driven by a window actuation motor/electric actuator? controlled by a rocker switch somewhere in your cabin. By which, shortening your distance to the wheel and decreasing your approach angle for uneven surfaces.

2)) A much larger piece(the entire nose)
Again... With same rail/guide system^^
This time, Eliminating all hanging objects in front of the wheel for additional clearance.

OR

3)) A large piece(just like #2) or however large piece you'd prefer...
Using a simple Top mounted Pivot Point to the front.(Inspired by large cargo planes opening from the front)
Again operated with the same drive system idea above.

(#2 & #3 may be a bit overkill, but would be nice just encase for that extra clearance when IF needed)

Not perfect by any means, fabrication would be involved. just some ideas. I'd hate for you to alter that nose in any way, its awesome the way it is.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	10789   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	10790   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	313