Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #41 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I wasn't joking, I've seen the regulations. So if they were the blue ones then yah, they are awful for everyone elses night vision. A shift towards red would be preferrable.
I do agree that the blue ones suck (I had a set for almost 6 hours); but these are the stock ones. Hmmm Maybe I'll stop by and pull one out of his vibe just to see what gm/ toyota threw in there.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #42 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBsGarage View Post
How's this for a sticker?

***CAUTION***
Angry Hypermiler on Board

Or My therapist says I wont be a threat to society (as long as I keep taking my meds) on one side and NRA on the other.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #43 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Those blue headlights do suck though. I'm sure they are out of wavelength spec in many jurisdictions despite the fact that they came that way.
In any case, they're DOT certified for on-road use, which trumps any local or State code. The problem with HIDs is the "non load-leveling" aim of the beam.

Very few vehicles have an automatic (or even manual) adjustment for having a load in the trunk or rear seat passengers.

My old EVO had a 6-position rotator knob to move the beam up or down. The top of the beam had a flat cutoff to tell if it intruded on other drivers' vision. More vehicles need this (likely automatic since drivers tend to just put gas in the car and drive).

RH77

_
_
Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '02 VW Golf TDi
For most of the nearly 25 years I served in the AF I was a pilot. However, mid-way through my career I injured my right hand in a power tool incident, lost my medical for four years, and ended up spending those years as a cop. So, I'll give you some clues about life on the other side of the flashing lights.

As has been pointed out above, cops are generally looking for anything out of the ordinary...speeding, drunks, running red lights, obstructing traffic, etc. That's NOT profiling...that's doing their public safety job. Think about it this way, how would the public react if the cops announced they could no longer pull someone over they suspected of DUI because to do so would be "profiling"? Kind'a ridiculous, eh?

Nearly everyone here applauds Trikk's standing up for his rights, so let's use his example of how to deal constructively with LEOs. First of all, driving 10 mph under the speed limit on an empty road late in the evening is one hallmark of a drunk driver, and since getting drunks off the road always up near the top of every jurisdiction's priorities, you can expect to attract attention if you fit this mold. Flipping your mirror to night-mode when the spot light comes on is another, as drunks often forget to do this when they climb into a car at night. Also, a drunk's eyes are slow to constrict from a sudden increase in bright light, so Trikk now has two indicators of DUI, and any cop would be warranted in investigating further.

So he flips on the lights. Now, every State has laws about how you are required to react to a cop's implied order to pull over (the lights and/or siren). The details differ, but in short, you are required to stop in a safe and expeditious manner. Coasting for a mile to show your irritation just sets you up for an evading arrest charge if it comes to writing paper.

Likewise talking back to the officer. Every State has laws requiring you to follow the orders of the police. If he/she tells you to shut it except for answering questions, you fail to do so at your legal peril. And beat the ticket with a fancy lawyer or not, you are still sucking up local taxpayer dollars spending a night in jail and/or having to make a court appearance because you couldn't resist shooting your mouth off. As Forest would say, "Stupid is as stupid does". From the evidence submitted, it strikes me that the officer showed considerable restraint.

So, how DOES one hypermile with a minimum hassle? First of all, know the local traffic laws.

1. For instance, in Arizona the minimum speed is 10 mph under the posted limit, except on the freeway, where it is 55 (max 75). If your jurisdiction doesn't have a minimum, you're good to go unless you're obstructing traffic. You can no more flaunt the minimum than you can the maximum, so know the local requirements.

2. Second, if you are pulled over "for hypermiling", keep in mind that to a cop you may "look" like a drunk. If he/she pulls you over, this is your opportunity to educate/convert him/her. Acting like a morally indignant asshat does not leave a good impression, nor expedite you on your way, so keep your attitude in check. Here are some practical tips:

a. Pull over safely and promptly and turn off the engine. Leave your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. If he/she wants your documentation, they'll ask you for it. Open the appropriate window so the officer can speak to you. If the cop asks you to step out of the car and come back to theirs, what they are doing is observing you to see if you move like a drunk. So get out promptly and alertly and follow the officer's instructions. Move normally...in other words, allay their suspicions.

b. Make eye contact, speak clearly and smile as you would in a normal conversation with a customer, coworker or supervisor. That's what sober people do when the interact with each other. Drunks vary from head down and mumbling (excessively submissive) to aggressive and belligerent. Show the officer through your actions that you are a sober and responsible member of the public who happens to be doing something a bit out of the ordinary, and not some cleverer-than-normal drunk driver.

3. When the officer asks what you are doing driving 10 mph under the limit ("Do you know why I pulled you over?"), this is your chance to explain that you are safely hypermiling...saving fuel by driving slightly slower than the posted limit. Keep it short and to the point. If the officer wants more information, he will ask for it. Chances are you will now be on your way, but if the officer writes you a ticket, sign it. Save the arguments for court. That is your chance to argue that you were not a hazard to traffic, driving too slowly, etc.

4. Finally, watch Chris Rock's video, .

Cheers! Stan

Last edited by Stan; 07-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Trying to embed the video...
Old 07-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #45 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Great advice Stan. Funny vid and why its all about the common sense. If I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have to worry.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The ClownCar - '91 Geo Metro Base
Send a message via AIM to TrikeKid Send a message via Yahoo to TrikeKid
Thank you stan, those were my thoughts exactly. Being a belligerant jackass is just begging for a ticket, why don't you just deck the cop while he writes it too? If you didn't do anything wrong, explain what happened and you'll probably get off with a verbal warning at most.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2017 Honda Civic LX - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Likewise talking back to the officer. Every State has laws requiring you to follow the orders of the police. If he/she tells you to shut it except for answering questions, you fail to do so at your legal peril. And beat the ticket with a fancy lawyer or not, you are still sucking up local taxpayer dollars spending a night in jail and/or having to make a court appearance because you couldn't resist shooting your mouth off. As Forest would say, "Stupid is as stupid does". From the evidence submitted, it strikes me that the officer showed considerable restraint.
So if the cop tells you to bend over and take it, you better do what he says. Gotcha.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
Wonder if Basjoos has gotten stopped? hes got a lot more miles on his oddity on wheels..
Six times so far, mainly to satisfy their curiousity. They'll pull me over for trivial reasons (dew/moisture obscuring the back window, etc.), go through the license/registration routine, then when they return the docs, pop the key question (and the whole reason that they pulled me over in the first place), "What's all the stuff on the car for"?. I'll then explain it and also pointedly ask them if there is any features about my car that are illegal. If they make a suggestion, I will act on it. The main ones so far has been the clear cover over the license plate (the clear vinyl boattail when the plate was still in its EOM location, then the clear lexan cover on the 2nd gen boattail, I now have the plate uncovered), and the location of the plate (when I had it behind the muffler on the underside of the boattail, clearly visible from behind but too close to the ground and not on the "rear of the vehicle"). Only one cop so far has been honest about why he pulled me over, saying "You haven't done anything wrong, I just wanted to ask you some questions about the car". Another cop followed me into a grocery store parking lot and stopped to ask me questions about the car when I got out to go in the store (no blue light). I've gotten fairly blase' about seeing a blue light in the rear view these days. I haven't been bothered by the cops for quite some time now since my car has become fairly well known in the area.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Diva - '07 Scion tc semi-custom
90 day: 27.11 mpg (US)
excuse me for saying this stan, but how many people bother to flip their rear-view mirrors to night mode at night? that's right... 99.999999% of the driving public do not, and that includes LEOs. why is this considered a sign of drunk driving again? the use of that criteria as even a partial justification for a stop is the very essence of entrapment. just because somebody is sober doesn't mean that they wont be irritated and possibly blinded when a cop throws his high beams on them from behind at point blank range, so the officer performing that action should be well aware of the state of mind he is forcing his target into.

I also have to state my unequivocal support for the fact that the tactic of speeding up on a vehicle and tailgating, then throwing on high beams is patently unsafe, and in fact is exactly the kind of thing one would expect a drunk driver to do - without the slowing down part. what happens if the cop misjudges his approach and rearends the person he is looking to intimidate?

in all I find that far too many cops use intimidation tactics on the road in an effort to force people to drive suspiciously or break the rules of the road outright. it all goes to the fact that law enforcement and government in general has come to rely on the revenues generated from ticketing a tad too much, so it is an encouraged behavior. why else would traffic enforement have ticket quotas? and dont you dare tell me they dont - I know that lie all too well as I have relatives in law enforcement myself.

officer showing considerable restraint... I have to go with the founding fathers on this one. abuse of authority must not be tolerated, and persons in authority should only be respected as far as they show respect for those they hold authority over. granted I am not going to go and show my ass to a cop in the field, but you are damn sure if one crosses me sufficiently, I will have his badge in court - if he bothers to show up.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #50 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
trikkonceptz -

You're my Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarloSW2

Quote: