Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Honestly I’m surprised they used a 3.0L in-line six diesel when they already had the 2.8L Duramax that’s being used in the Colorado and the G series van... seems like they coulda bumped boost pressure a little and that woulda worked fine. We’ve already seen what that engine is rated in the Colorado...
Semantics my friend.

GM has a fully designed 4.5 liter duramax diesel intended for the Suburban and other 1/2 tonners mothballed

Suburban folks already asked GM for the 2.8 and got the its too small answer.

GM is saving face and avoiding cross shopping issues

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Also: inline-6 = doing god's work. The best, smoothest engine layout there is, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
ctmaybury@yahoo.com (06-01-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
active thermal management

Didn't see this engine efficiency feature in the original article:

Quote:
Active thermal management can direct heat as well as cooling to different regions of the engine for faster warmup, more efficient combustion, and high-load cooling.
Source: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...on-2-cylinders

This, in combination with the electric water pump, can keep providing cabin heat in cold temperatures even when the engine auto-stop feature is active.

I know most conventional heaters will quickly run out of heat within a few seconds of stopping the engine, if the HVAC blower is still on.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Honestly I’m surprised they used a 3.0L in-line six diesel when they already had the 2.8L Duramax that’s being used in the Colorado and the G series van... seems like they coulda bumped boost pressure a little and that woulda worked fine. We’ve already seen what that engine is rated in the Colorado...
They also want best in class, they need every bit of 3 liters to be best in class with new 3 liters coming out from Ford and Dodge. If you want almost class leading the 2.8 was probably fine but that doesn't make for a good ad. Making it an inline 6, as there is plenty of room for it on the full size, might also land you a new legendary powerplant rather than another also ran.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I think the 2.7 turbo 4cyl will be great. My only fear/doubt is that it won't be the base engine but an option... that no one wants.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
I thought the great movement to smaller turbo engines was for fuel economy, but all I read after weeding through the performance specs was:

"The automaker also claims greater fuel economy than either of its rivals, though it didn’t provide any MPG figures."

Isn't this all a bit tone-deaf?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
I thought the great movement to smaller turbo engines was for fuel economy, but all I read after weeding through the performance specs was:

"The automaker also claims greater fuel economy than either of its rivals, though it didn’t provide any MPG figures."

Isn't this all a bit tone-deaf?
Can't count your chickens before you've inseminated the hens.

Last edited by niky; 05-24-2018 at 04:20 AM..
Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Whenever I see reports about this 4-cyl engine and the straight-6 Diesel, it reminds me of some talks I had about 10 years ago with a guy who claimed to prefer a straight-4 over a V6 in the same displacement range or a straight-6 over a V8 under the same circumstance. It's still quite surprising to find out a 4-cyl would make its way into a full-size truck in America, not to mention Ford with a V6 becoming the top of the range in the F-150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Does that mean 3 cylinder sedans are in the future (besides the Mirage)?
It would be quite surprising if GM ever releases a 3-cyl sedan in the American market. Well, IIRC the 3-cyl engine offered in the Metro was only available for the hatch... But anyway, sometimes it seems quite reasonable to envision a broader usage of 3-cyl engines instead of confining them in the entry-level segment. But anyway, if Ford wasn't going to focus on trucks and SUVs, it has a 3-cyl 1.5L engine already on the shelf (maybe it could make its way into the Transit Connect)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Seems like a lot of wasted space up front, maybe they could add a turbo heated BBQ grill up there. Have some ribs ready when you get to your destination.
Search for "costela na turbina" on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I think the 2.7 turbo 4cyl will be great. My only fear/doubt is that it won't be the base engine but an option... that no one wants.
I wouldn't hold my breath for this engine to become a best-seller, but it may become a good contender to the 2.7L Ecoboost, since most Americans still tend to look at the amount of cylinders either as a premium feature or as a sign of engine efficiency. Pointless at all, but that might eventually work as a sales argument.

Quote:
Honestly I’m surprised they used a 3.0L in-line six diesel when they already had the 2.8L Duramax that’s being used in the Colorado and the G series van
Considering this engine already has better power and torque figures than a version of the Cummins ISF2.8 (which served as a base for the R2.8 crate engine) currently used in the Brazilian F-350, the 2.8L Duramax would serve just right. Well, let's wait and see if that could eventually become available for fleet order.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
GM has a fully designed 4.5 liter duramax diesel intended for the Suburban and other 1/2 tonners mothballed
Even though that 4.5L Duramax seemed quite promising, not just for the 1/2-tonners but eventually also making its way into the HDs (when I saw some reports on that engine in 2007, there were speculations that it would effectively replace the 6.6L Duramax across the entire range, much like the 5.6L variant of the Cummins ISV5.0 which was quoted to be used as a replacement for the ISB5.9 in the Dodge Ram range), the upcoming inline-6 seems to be more competitive. Well, even though I wouldn't hold my breath for the 4.5L Duramax V8 to be released anymore, I'd actually be curious about the eventual acceptance for a chain-driven DOHC Diesel in the class 2 and 3 trucks in America (considering that Ford keeps the OHV valvetrain only in the 6.7L Powerstroke, it might be a sign that a transition to either SOHC or DOHC in the Diesels might not be so straightforward as it seemed to be with the gassers).

Quote:
Suburban folks already asked GM for the 2.8 and got the its too small answer.
Unless the current generation of the Trailblazer eventually makes its way into the American market, that wouldn't be a valid excuse for GM to not offer the 2.8 in the Tahoe at least... But anyway, since the 2.8 is good enough for GM to use in the vans, it's clearly not too small for a Suburban.

Quote:
GM is saving face and avoiding cross shopping issues
Considering that GM has previously shared some engines across their compact and full-size truck ranges, such as the 4.3L V6 which used to be the top of the range in the S-10 and a base option from the C/K-series to the Silverado, some cross-shopping seems quite unlikely to happen at all.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I love the idea of a 3 ltr i6 diesel. I can get 20 plus mpg empty with a 2500 ram with the 24v isb. That motor in a 1500 should be able to break into the 30mpg range.

The i6 is my favorite engine configuration.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I love the idea of a 3 ltr i6 diesel. I can get 20 plus mpg empty with a 2500 ram with the 24v isb. That motor in a 1500 should be able to break into the 30mpg range.

The i6 is my favorite engine configuration.

Reply  Post New Thread