Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Theres a lot of stop signs that could be yield signs around here.
Aren't all Stop signs really just yield signs anyways? At least that is the way it seems around my neck of the woods. Keep in mind that I live and drive in MA.

A relative of mine asked me if blinkers were illegal in MA after driving here a short time.

I do agree 100%, we need to keep the flow as much as possible. JoJo

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Here's some new research on traffic lights: "organic computing" that "learns" and adapts to traffic conditions!

Green Car Congress: Researchers Suggest Organic Computing Approach to Traffic Light Control

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
organic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Here's some new research on traffic lights: "organic computing" that "learns" and adapts to traffic conditions!

Green Car Congress: Researchers Suggest Organic Computing Approach to Traffic Light Control
Neil,thanks for posting that.Looks promising.Perhaps there's significant funding on the horizon.Competition in a global marketplace will require players unfettered by parasites like congestion.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai_vin View Post
Why do we even use redlights and stop signs anyways? On a trip to Europe I first got to experience traffic circles and roundabouts and I have to tell you it was a joy. Since then my city has seen fit to install some "traffic circles" too, but most turned out to be small traffic calmers on the side streets. There is one larger roundabout just a few blocks from my house and so far even the famously bad drivers of Vancouver have not had any trouble using it.
There is alot of places that could use them, my town gainedone not long ago. Clever.and there is no straight through like a lunatic beating a light, one has to slow to go around the median. I liked england like that, there is a natural common sense appearance. we'd have bigger versions, (as we do now).
The idling redlight suckling is injection. there is no stoich. it is the sickest think to happen to cars since the carb left. Me? I could care less about idle times. I drive some kind of freaky rarity. fuel mileage wavers like 5mpg.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A modest proposal would be to freeze any new safety or emissions requirements for new cars for say 12-years,and divert all this related money for R&D,tooling,manufacturing,and integration,to municipalities for traffic light synchronization.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Seriously?? Traffic lights?

rant brewing

at the mo THE WORLD needs to look for a new direction for fuel usage/alternatives rather than excuses to let us keep the drinkers we have. Sorry but freezing R&D to fund traffic light syncronisation?? That means current things Dodge Rams / F350's down to other 'good' MPg'ers of 20-30mpg will stay the norm. what kind of logic or progress is that when the US could drastically reduce foriegn oil dependancy / emissions just by simply saying 'the rest of the western world has a lower polution/head level why is that?' or do I really need a 5.7L V8 truck to pick-up a bag of groceries?? when there is technology out there that means you could have a SUV that does 100+% better on fuel or better yet a car that does 200-300% better? Don't get me wrong WE over here in europe do have similar issues but we're changing our habbits by taxing emissions - and we also have extortionate fuel prices that kinda forced our hand, but the average household across here would choke on their lunch if you said 24mpgus (taking a rough average of cars I've looked at in the states) was acceptable.

I applaud the Obama administration if they were to put in a 38MPG minimum, maybe I just don't understand but why is it so hard to get through an EPA test? is it a 'Big oil' issue that they don't want foriegn cars sipping fuel?

Sorry - rant over

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 07-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
IMO, the EPDM Coatings post is borderline Spam...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I would like to say we all know that work requires energy. Pushing extra weight, hard acceleration, braking, stop and go, high drag aerodynamics all create the need for work and the extra fuel to accomplish it. I'd like to say we all know, but sadly a vast majority of the people do not. Most of you here know what it takes to save gas. The average driver doesn't know and for that matter doesn't give a rip unless it's painful at the pump. Even then they find a way to justify the pain and believe it doesn't hurt “all” that much.

Asking the government to do something about it is like offering the Mafia a license to do business their way. Most government agencies once established have little incentive to create scenarios where the problem is solved and the need for their agency goes away. Instead you tend to see empire building and larger and larger drains on the economy with the absolute minimum of real progress. Real progress is only going to come from the grass roots. And my friends that is you!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...government is a never-ending cycle of obstacles and opportunities, where an obstacle is merely an opportunity for bureaucracy to control/manage something in-perpetuity with "completion" (ie: sunset rules/laws) neither the goal nor a defined requirement.

...existance merely for the sake of existance.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Love it!

I have contaced my local government several times in regards to TERRIBLE light timing. and have always received the response that the lights are timed that way on purpose. But then again I do live in an oil town . . .

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread