Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
These guys are more commonly known as a "Sachs Madass", which came in 50cc and 125cc flavors.
In my country only the 125cc had been available, branded as FYM-Sachs Madass.

Quote:
I first saw a Madass parked outside of the local scooter shop, which was just a few blocks away from where I lived at the time. I loved the looks of it, young as I was at the time. Couldn't afford one...young as I was at the time. Rather like the Fiero, I put it on the back-burner and never forgot about it, unlike some other things.
I first saw one about 9 years ago when there was a FYM dealer in front of a tyre shop that a friend used to have. Loved the looks of it at the time, even though it doesn't seem to be nearly as versatile as a Cub-type or as a more conventional 125cc utilitarian motorcycle. The smaller fuel tank would become a matter of concern for me, even though I'd still not disconsider getting one for short errands.

Quote:
These 2-speed automatics aren't stellar.
The only fully-automatic Honda Cub engine copy I have ever seen had a CVT. Wasn't yours actually a semi-automatic? BTW I haven't seen neither a real Honda or a Chinese clone with less than 3-speed.

Quote:
The electronics(ignition)/charging systems were a bit different. The 110cc uses a crude center-tapped magneto, whereas the Sachs engine (even though it was a Nitro, Sachs was stamped on the engine case) had a proper 3-phase generator. The 110c was designed to run without a battery, if necessary, and the CDI did not depend on the battery to provide power. The Sachs did.

Comparing the spark between the two while cranking the engine over, the battery dependent CDI gave a far superior spark, no matter how fast or slow the engine turned over. The magneto-dependant one would either not spark or spark weakly except at the fastest/hardest of kick-starts. So I re-wired the 110cc to use the battery-powered CDI, for dependable starts.
Even though I understand your reasoning to do so, I must confess I'd be tempted to improve the magneto-dependant ignition instead of converting it to a battery-dependent setup.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Umm...Ok.

Reply  Post New Thread