Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A friend has an older MB Turbo diesel van, he got it used from a transport company, had a blown transmission, so he got it really cheap. He is planning on putting in a(used) manual transmission imported from Europe. These would get 28MPG on the highway with the auto trans, so he is expecting to get around 35MPG with the manual. Plus, you can easily convert these to run on used vegi oil- This one is the older, IDI engine- I have sucessfully run my VW IDI engines on used vegi oil for over 20 years. You have to be METICULOUS in cleaning the oil, on your install of your system, , ONLY running on vegi when the engine is 100% up to operating temperature, and switching back to dino well before before shutting the engine down. If your meticulous, you can be successful-and, here in NC, you are legally exempt from fuel taxes if you run on vegi.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #72 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrl22 View Post
A friend has an older MB Turbo diesel van, he got it used from a transport company, had a blown transmission, so he got it really cheap. He is planning on putting in a(used) manual transmission imported from Europe. These would get 28MPG on the highway with the auto trans, so he is expecting to get around 35MPG with the manual. Plus, you can easily convert these to run on used vegi oil- This one is the older, IDI engine- I have sucessfully run my VW IDI engines on used vegi oil for over 20 years. You have to be METICULOUS in cleaning the oil, on your install of your system, , ONLY running on vegi when the engine is 100% up to operating temperature, and switching back to dino well before before shutting the engine down. If your meticulous, you can be successful-and, here in NC, you are legally exempt from fuel taxes if you run on vegi.
Why is he expecting such a huge jump in highway mileage?

The 1st gen Sprinter (1995 - 2006) had a 5 speed manual or 5 speed automatic. The Mercedes 722.6 auto locks the torque converter in 3rd - 5th gears. I can't see a 25% boost in fuel economy for steady state highway cruising from just a transmission swap

Last edited by JSH; 01-05-2021 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #73 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
A pig is a pig. A manual's real mpg boost comes from being able to not be in gear all the time, and a full size can can't do that well at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 01-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I'm actually talking to a dealer about a new 2020 Pacifica Hybrid. I believe the 2021 Toyota will be a better van long term, but they have a bunch of incentives on the Pacifica (probably because of the Toyota) and this year I'd qualify for the full $7500 federal tax credit not available to the Toyota. So a Pacifica with a $45000 msrp ends up around $29000 bottom line. That's still a hard swallow. If Toyota would do a Sienna "Prime" like the Rav4 Prime, then it would probably be a no brainer. I aslo wonder if I should wait for the 2021 Pacifica as they seem to show incentives available as well but probably not quite as much. My dealer has 4 2020s to chose from with the same 45k msrp. I was going to try and get in on the 2020 tax year but now there is no hurry except those Van's might sell and I'll have to wait a whole year to file the 2021 taxes for the credit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #75 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Don't know what the competition is there in Missoula, but I generally send a request for best price offer to every dealer within 60 miles and make them compete against each other.

I've got a friend that went from a Leaf, to a Prius V, to a Pacifica plug-in. Really enjoyed the trip to Sacramento in it. It's got some very minor quirks as far as braking and acceleration go, so if you're sensitive to those things certainly do a thorough test drive first. I find the quirks interesting and nothing else.

The Pacifica is still on my radar as well, but I've never spent more than $17k on a vehicle, and am in no hurry to part with the money I've saved.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Don't know what the competition is there in Missoula, but I generally send a request for best price offer to every dealer within 60 miles and make them compete against each other.

I've got a friend that went from a Leaf, to a Prius V, to a Pacifica plug-in. Really enjoyed the trip to Sacramento in it. It's got some very minor quirks as far as braking and acceleration go, so if you're sensitive to those things certainly do a thorough test drive first. I find the quirks interesting and nothing else.

The Pacifica is still on my radar as well, but I've never spent more than $17k on a vehicle, and am in no hurry to part with the money I've saved.
That dealer is actually Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho which is the #1 selling Dodge dealer on Earth last time I saw. A small town that brings in buyers from all over the country with their pricing. Missoula doesn't even have one in stock and they have about 8 or 10. Had it been in town I probably would have pulled the trigger in 2020 but I was too busy to drive over 2 hours and over the pass with only Christmas day off in the last 3 weeks. Now I'm back in no hurry mode. It doesn't look like the 2021 hybrid is anything more than a facelift. The regular van has some better stuff mainly AWD but that's not an option on the Hybrid (although the Toyota can be had in hybrid and AWD). We already have a Town and Country so I doubt it's much different but I should try and drive one first. Hopefully the Toyotas will be in stock so I can see if they are head and shoulders better to be worth the $10,000 extra they will cost.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
It's not much different, it's just the newer version. My only recommendation is that if you plan to keep it for the long haul, don't get the AWD. Traditional platforms with a regular t-case are great, but an FWD platform with a PTU just doesn't have that kind of mechanical reliability.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
It's not much different, it's just the newer version. My only recommendation is that if you plan to keep it for the long haul, don't get the AWD. Traditional platforms with a regular t-case are great, but an FWD platform with a PTU just doesn't have that kind of mechanical reliability.
Do you know how the Toyota AWD works? I know on the Rav4 Prime the added rear drive is all electric. We have had a couple of AWD Dodge minivans in the past and they have actually been flawless. One had over 250,000 miles on it 3.8 motor, 4 speed auto and AWD all untouched. The 2001 we had tore its front fascia off driving it in snow so deep it was plowing.

That said, the Pacifica in general hasn't gotten the best reliability reports. One of my best friends bought the first year and it almost qualified for a lemon buyback, while our 2011 Chrylser is just about to turn 100,000 miles without anying but brakes and fluids changed.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #79 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
I don't know the Toyota, but I do know the Dodge. I'm in Parts, and without a lifetime service contract from the factory (which they aren't currently offering), you couldn't give me one. The platform itself is great- our 2011 has almost 235k right now. It would be higher, but she's been working from home a lot this year.

They've done a great job upgrading the minivan over the years, spreading upgrades over the years so when a "new platform" come out, a lot gets carried over. We've had a couple rentals over the last few years and we're happily replacing the 2011 with a 2021. An FWD.

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (01-07-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 AM   #80 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Oh man! For the longest time (and probably still) my dream van was a Toyota Previa with the diesel option. Living here in the States meant it was never available, but I so wish I had jumped on an imported Previa diesel engine I saw years ago on eBay and had gotten a Previa to put it in.

I don't know what it is about the Previa, but if I ever need a hauler I'd probably get an old Previa instead of anything else. Preferably a diesel engine imported on an older stick shift Previa or the super charged engine that came out circa 1995 onward on an older pre-1995 stick shift Previa. I might even go for an AWD version.

Reply  Post New Thread