Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
FWIW, for a few weeks I had a somewhat sporty looking rear deck spoiler project on my car. Plus a "48 MPG" sticker on the side window. SOME women thought it looked really cool.

(I still have plans to pursue this project and make it work. Temporarily sidelined by weather and miscellaneous other responsibilities. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...c+rear+spoiler)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #52 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
It's been quite some time since I checked in on this thread.

Well said LarryBuck!! Lol Couldn't help but giggle on that second long post! (#42)
I totally agree with you. Entering into this realm of auto mechanics, hugely dominated by men, has been.... interesting. Being single, and very shy around guys has made me see things in a different way too.

Lets face it, the sources for hypermiling info is very limited. In a "normal" lifestyle you won't know about it unless you seek it out, or hear about it from somebody in person. I looked for ways to improve mileage on-line, to validate my wanting to get a 4Runner. Ended up coming across an article: "Ease on Down the Road: Fuel-Efficient Drivers" by: Dennis Gaffney. That's what started it for me.

Most woman only think of a vehicle as the necessary means to get from point A to point B. Guys know that most women don't like to talk cars one bit. So hypermiling is far from a conversation in most cases. I actually know a few ladies that would like to have a class on changing their own oil, tires, and simple maintenance stuff. They all liked the idea of me teaching them. Another lady. (Hmmm. Just had a job thought, and another reason to go to automotive school....)

It really bothers me when I hear about people that say they live month to month, or worse, are in debt. Yet they have expensive things, live in expensive parts of town, lots of car repair bills, etc. Ahhh!!! We live in a spend, spend, SPEND society!

Lately I've been thinking of starting a class for teaching women how to hypermile. Learning how to change your own oil, tire, etc, would go along with that well too! It's something I was thinking of doing in several years from now, when I have more experience, but if it was a free class, why not now? I know right where to advertise..... at the food bank!

Lol, I gave quite a bit of advice to a lady coworker on how to drive in the snow! I was actually humorously surprised that she didn't know how to drive in the snow! She thought the type of vehicle and good tires made all the difference. I know from experience, it's not that so much as it is the nut behind the wheel! For better or worse.

Teaching women how to drive a manual would be fun too! Though, nearly all of my experience is in an F250, and it was said to be very forgiving. I would love to learn how to drive a manual better! But... as shy as I am around guys.... lol, probably won't happen.

Lol, I find it interesting how you GUYS seem to find so much time to be on forums! I wish I had more time to be on this forum and my RAV forum more!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Lol, I find it interesting how you GUYS seem to find so much time to be on forums! I wish I had more time to be on this forum and my RAV forum more!

one word........multi-task!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #54 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I have it set up to email when someone posts on thread I do, so anything I am interested in so i get an email when new info is up

When is the boat tail going up on the rav4? That will be free adverting for your classes and for the right minded type of guys

Is you are ever in Michigan stop by and I will show you my very modded car!

PS you user name is a good reminder of a timeless truth of Who is our rock of salvation!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elise - '13 Hyundai Elantra GLS
I could give you a ton of reasons why women don't care about hypermiling, but most of them would make me sound sexist.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #56 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
When is the boat tail going up on the rav4? That will be free adverting for your classes and for the right minded type of guys

If you are ever in Michigan stop by and I will show you my very modded car!
That would be fun to see your car! And I've always wanted to see Michigan and the great lakes. Someday perhaps.

Lol, I'm not so crazy about the boat tail look. Maybe a partial kammback if it would help. Belly pan first, and it's about half way done! And rear wheel skirts are on the list too! That will be a pretty noticeable mod.

Lol, speaking of noticeable... I'm learning P&G and was doing so in Spokane today, through the neighborhoods. I was EOC when I saw a guy looking like he wanted to cross the street but stopped. I kept moving at my, oh probably 10 MPH speed. So he waved his hand to signal me to go ahead. I giggled to myself. As I was passing him I felt like I needed another pulse, so I started her up and did a quick pulse before shutting her off again. LOL. The guy stepped out into the quiet street as I passed and watched me continue along my merry way until I was out of sight. I wonder what he was thinking?!?! My RAV has HYERMILING! printed on the back window, so maybe he'll look it up???

That was fun! But not nearly as fun as getting 117% above EPA today! I never would have thought I, or the RAV could do it, but I just have to share the stats of my drive today!
98.9 Miles / 2.17 Gallons = 45.57 MPG
(80% hwy)
The trip in, we got 50.6 MPG,
in town was 39.52 MPG,
and going home was 44.0 MPG. Totally cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
PS your user name is a good reminder of a timeless truth of Who is our rock of salvation!
Yep yep!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #57 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrefugeisintheLord View Post
I'm learning P&G and was doing so in Spokane today, through the neighborhoods. I was EOC when I saw a guy looking like he wanted to cross the street but stopped. I kept moving at my, oh probably 10 MPH speed. So he waved his hand to signal me to go ahead. I giggled to myself. As I was passing him I felt like I needed another pulse, so I started her up and did a quick pulse before shutting her off again. LOL. The guy stepped out into the quiet street as I passed and watched me continue along my merry way until I was out of sight. I wonder what he was thinking?!?! My RAV has HYERMILING! printed on the back window, so maybe he'll look it up???

That was fun! But not nearly as fun as getting 117% above EPA today! I never would have thought I, or the RAV could do it, but I just have to share the stats of my drive today!
98.9 Miles / 2.17 Gallons = 45.57 MPG
(80% hwy)
The trip in, we got 50.6 MPG,
in town was 39.52 MPG,
and going home was 44.0 MPG. Totally cool!

Yep yep!
Impressive mileage, but can your auto trans handle EOC?
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-18114.html
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #58 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Impressive mileage, but can your auto trans handle EOC?
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-18114.html
Gasoline Fumes: I have done some research on this subject. When I learned that RAVadoodle should not be flat towed I stopped EOC all together. Then I read that most autos can be towed at or below 30 MPH and for short distances. So, with that in mind I try to EOC at curtain times, when there's less distance and less speed. I'd love to EOC during P&G, but we're usually going too fast and coasting so often that I'd also be thinking the starter might get too much of a workout. I'm still looking into the option of an electric pump for that system. But in all reality I wish she was a manual, which is what I wanted, but for a particular reason I went with an auto. A reason that has yet to be beneficial.

So, most of my mileage increase is purely due to P&G. I NEVER would have thought that my natural lead foot would help me get better mileage!! P&G never worked for us before because I didn't take the engine load up high enough for the efficiency benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
I could give you a ton of reasons why women don't care about hypermiling, but most of them would make me sound sexist.
Soichiro, I'd be curious to know what you think. As much of the 2,000 lbs as you'd like!
There are a lot of reasons. But I believe the biggest reason is simply lack of awareness, and then understanding.

(I'll try to keep this short!) I was raised very old school and conservative. I automatically believed cars (liking them, working on them, talking about them), was a guy's thing. There were a lot of circumstances and the way I was raised, that kept me from doing much in the way of mechanical things. I didn't get interested in vehicles until I was 21. I'm only JUST starting to not feel completely awkward working on our vehicles. And I'm having a very difficult time staying feminine doing any mechanical work. I'm not a girly girl, but I still like to be feminine. (That doesn't mean staying clean.)

The two families that my family is good friends with, the girls that are driving don't seem to be interested in my hypermiling, but they'll say they don't drive fast. Their brothers are more so interested, but never take the step in that direction.
Even my sister thinks I'm silly, and we have a VERY close relationship. What kills me is they drive a manual '93 Mazda 323! They say they got it because it gets mid 30 MPG withOUT any work. I keep telling them they could get over 50 MPG but they just laugh....

What confuses me, is as stay-at-home wives and or mothers, we can be such a huge blessing to our husbands by finding ways to make their hard earned money go further. In our circle of friends having gardens, canning food, raising meat is common place to save money. Why not save 100s a year in just the fuel bill??? Yes, it might take 1-30 minuets more in a commute time, depending on your distance or severity of hypermiling. But how much time does it take to do other things that save money? Lots. That's the point, time is money.

Then there's the other side of things, which I'm not too familiar with, and that's the girls that are only interested in their appearance and their next relationship. Those poor girls! Not a lot to say there....

Last edited by myrefugeisintheLord; 07-12-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elise - '13 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Quote:
Soichiro, I'd be curious to know what you think. As much of the 2,000 lbs as you'd like!
Lol, well from a psycho-sociological standpoint, I think it's as you said, girls are raised to not be interested in cars. Boys get Hot Wheels to play with, and girls get Barbies. This is the same reason why fields like engineering and mechanics are dominated by men--because girls are taught at a young age not to be interested in those things.

Of course, from a cynical standpoint, I could say that it's also because most women don't care about saving money. They're already spending $250 at a time on clothes, so gas money is a drop in the bucket compared to that. :P Although, on the flip side of this, one could notice that women tend to get excited whenever there is a sale on clothes, and ask, why is saving money on clothes exciting, but saving money on gas isn't?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #60 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
c

Gasoline Fumes: I have done some research on this subject. When I learned that RAVadoodle should not be flat towed I stopped EOC all together. Then I read that most autos can be towed at or below 30 MPH and for short distances. So, with that in mind I try to EOC at curtain times, when there's less distance and less speed. I'd love to EOC during P&G, but we're usually going too fast and coasting so often that I'd also be thinking the starter might get too much of a workout. I'm still looking into the option of an electric pump for that system. But in all reality I wish she was a manual, which is what I wanted, but for a particular reason I went with an auto. A reason that has yet to be beneficial.

So, most of my mileage increase is purely due to P&G. I NEVER would have thought that my natural lead foot would help me get better mileage!! P&G never worked for us before because I didn't take the engine load up high enough for the efficiency benefit.

There are a lot of reasons. But I believe the biggest reason is simply lack of awareness, and then understanding.

(I'll try to keep this short!) I was raised very old school and conservative. I automatically believed cars (liking them, working on them, talking about them), was a guy's thing. There were a lot of circumstances and the way I was raised, that kept me from doing much in the way of mechanical things. I didn't get interested in vehicles until I was 21. I'm only JUST starting to not feel completely awkward working on our vehicles. And I'm having a very difficult time staying feminine doing any mechanical work. I'm not a girly girl, but I still like to be feminine. (That doesn't mean staying clean.)

The two families that my family is good friends with, the girls that are driving don't seem to be interested in my hypermiling, but they'll say they don't drive fast. Their brothers are more so interested, but never take the step in that direction.
Even my sister thinks I'm silly, and we have a VERY close relationship. What kills me is they drive a manual '93 Mazda 323! They say they got it because it gets mid 30 MPG withOUT any work. I keep telling them they could get over 50 MPG but they just laugh....

What confuses me, is as stay-at-home wives and or mothers, we can be such a huge blessing to our husbands by finding ways to make their hard earned money go further. In our circle of friends having gardens, canning food, raising meat is common place to save money. Why not save 100s a year in just the fuel bill??? Yes, it might take 1-30 minuets more in a commute time, depending on your distance or severity of hypermiling. But how much time does it take to do other things that save money? Lots. That's the point, time is money.

Then there's the other side of things, which I'm not too familiar with, and that's the girls that are only interested in their appearance and their next relationship. Those poor girls! Not a lot to say there....
it sounds like we had similar childhood there is something to be said for traditional Godly family values. Not to mention women who strive to be Proverbs 31. Hypermiling should be on the modern list