Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Could be but most fuel here for sale in Reno is imported from the San Fran APCD refiners via pipeline and meets that spec, except for Maverick which has quality control issues. Drive 20 miles to Carson and they get their fuel elsewhere (modesto?) By truck.

Vegas and surrounds are pipeline from LAAPCD via 14" pipeline out of san berdue which is prone to leaking when trains derail onto it.
Oh interesting, that's why Carson City has much lower prices I guess?

I started off with a full tank of Costco summer fuel that sat around for a while, then I added a little E85 to it to boost the octane. Then I filled it with some winter fuel at a 76 and it seemed like the mpg dropped a bit.

Then I went up to Reno, filled at a Costco on the way. Seemed like I lost more mpg but it could have been the wind.

Finally in Reno I had a full tank of Raley's fuel and at that point I was extremely sure the gasoline was lower density because I could go downhill and still have less mpg than before.

All I know for sure is that I'm getting 10% lower mpg compared to the summer despite diluting my motor oil with some 0w-16 to reduce its viscosity. I still have the same piece of tape covering the oil cooler to keep the oil hotter, and I pumped the tires up more to compensate for lower temps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 25.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Oh interesting, that's why Carson City has much lower prices I guess?

I started off with a full tank of Costco summer fuel that sat around for a while, then I added a little E85 to it to boost the octane. Then I filled it with some winter fuel at a 76 and it seemed like the mpg dropped a bit.

Then I went up to Reno, filled at a Costco on the way. Seemed like I lost more mpg but it could have been the wind.

Finally in Reno I had a full tank of Raley's fuel and at that point I was extremely sure the gasoline was lower density because I could go downhill and still have less mpg than before.

All I know for sure is that I'm getting 10% lower mpg compared to the summer despite diluting my motor oil with some 0w-16 to reduce its viscosity. I still have the same piece of tape covering the oil cooler to keep the oil hotter, and I pumped the tires up more to compensate for lower temps.
we had all ready been on winter gas FOR A LONG time so it's not relevant

I mean they do put fresh gas in 2-3 times a day it's not like it still had summer gas in it from 5 months ago

the switch is done in oct 1
Old 03-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
CC has lower tax rate on the fuel and their sources are cheaper because it isn't SFAPCD fuel. Still CALI fuel, however, so it gets "oxygenated" after September.

If you bought left over summer fuel, it would be so full of water as to be almost unusable.

Reno is technically "up hill" but mostly the prevailing wind through Washoe valley favors southbound travel with a tailing portside flow. 70 posted with a 20mph headwind...........
Old 03-14-2022, 03:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
CC has lower tax rate on the fuel and their sources are cheaper because it isn't SFAPCD fuel. Still CALI fuel, however, so it gets "oxygenated" after September.

If you bought left over summer fuel, it would be so full of water as to be almost unusable.

Reno is technically "up hill" but mostly the prevailing wind through Washoe valley favors southbound travel with a tailing portside flow. 70 posted with a 20mph headwind...........
this is a new gas station the product is moving fast they have a weekly deal on gas so yes it's moving fast

maybe a miscounting faulty pump?
Old 03-25-2022, 03:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The fuel in my tank was summer fuel because I filled the tank in July and didn't drive the car for a few months (I put a few ounces of Lucas fuel stabilizer).
Old 04-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
I too noticed a drop in mpg with the switch to winter gas this year, new to me car so cannot compare to other years. However, it was a bigger drop than I ever noticed in my Geo Tracker and Chevy S-10 going back 30 years in memory collectively.

I unfortunately used twice a Shell gas station that was selling something else than Shell, just as bad as other gas stations.

If your car(s) use premium like my two cars (45 old Porsche, 10 year old Infiniti) the nitrogen additives in Shell make just as much of a difference as between summer and winter blends of gasoline.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 10-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I too noticed a drop in mpg with the switch to winter gas this year, new to me car so cannot compare to other years. However, it was a bigger drop than I ever noticed in my Geo Tracker and Chevy S-10 going back 30 years in memory collectively.

I unfortunately used twice a Shell gas station that was selling something else than Shell, just as bad as other gas stations.

If your car(s) use premium like my two cars (45 old Porsche, 10 year old Infiniti) the nitrogen additives in Shell make just as much of a difference as between summer and winter blends of gasoline.
i replaced both o2 sensor on bank2 it had a bad sensor causing issues with the DFCO and showing like 0.1volts randomly on sensor 2. when it should be 0.8v
Old 10-12-2022, 07:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't think additives affect mpg, they are very miniscule in concentration. I don't think the difference can come from ethanol either, because E10 is capped at 10%. However a lot of lighter aliphatic hydrocarbons do have much lower density and can be blended in to produce gasoline that has lower energy density, but they would need to keep the RVP down, so there are limitations too.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (10-18-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 10:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark Ls
90 day: 38.44 mpg (US)
Based on our fuel changes in Wisconsin I'm losing 3-5mpg even with my all season tires . I thought that maybe my winters had effected my mpg but it has to be fuel. My driving hasn't changed , my commute is the same and since right around late October my mpg has dropped significantly.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmugz88 View Post
Based on our fuel changes in Wisconsin I'm losing 3-5mpg even with my all season tires . I thought that maybe my winters had effected my mpg but it has to be fuel. My driving hasn't changed , my commute is the same and since right around late October my mpg has dropped significantly.
Same. I can barely push 50 mpg average on my Ioniq right now with dry sunny roads and ambient temps of 45 degrees and hyper milking techniques.

Reply  Post New Thread