Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2023, 04:21 AM   #1251 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
VW before 1992 was a different beast
VW really started to derail around 2003, when it started planning to phase out non-turbocharged engines and released the first DSG.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #1252 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard
Arcimoto's faltering is quite sad - there had to be more than the former CEO's DUI and firing, I am assuming.
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

I stopped by the Arcimoto Rental location to see what's up. As I rolled up and saw moving trucks backed up I was ....concerned. But I talked to John Bryant (sales) and it turns out they are consolidating locations. They're down to four. Still taking orders for the 2023 model, and selling used FUV.

What everyone is seeing is a forward looking statement compounded by the short squeeze. Don't count them out.

But wait there's more. He was willing to listen to my thoughts on how to hang doors and converting my Superbeetle to an EV. He even told me about a West Side business named Vintage Underground (their showroom is at 4085 West 11th). Turns out to be a restoration shop with an XKE conversion in progress. But they want to see the Lexus axle I'm hoarding. That's money I could roll into the XFi.

If you've never seen Abarth's Italian craftmenship under the skin...... it's rough. Not a hammer weld in sight. They have an MG Magnette in the showroom, perfectly restored, one of 6 or 7 in the World.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-30-2023 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: typos :(
Old 01-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #1253 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt....

... What everyone is seeing is a forward looking statement compounded by the short squeeze. Don't count them out.
Nope. Massive losses and lack of orders. People are looking at their past history and deciding to stop throwing good money after bad.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:53 PM   #1254 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There's big Federal money dangling just out of their reach. I think it has to do with with their doors.

More importantly for me, I'm looking for someone who wants to negotiate a group buy of full drivetrains and batteries and engineer a swap into Types I, II and III. I found out the battery pack only fills the first half of the backbone. I didn't put a tape on one but it looks like it would fit crosswise in the luggage space behind the back seat of a Beetle. Given the whole drivetrain and suspension, I think it could be a reversible bolt-in. Maybe some cutting of the inner fenders for the A-arms.

The Old World craftsmanship was eye-opening. Redneck as is gets with aluminum bomber seats.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:12 AM   #1255 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
Had them tried to approach the corporative fleet segment prior, and maybe finding some launch-customers with a stronger backbone, it could overcome much of the uncertainty and doubt among possible individual buyers. And at least one ICE-powered version would've been more likely to succeed too. I guess I have already mentioned a rather similar project which was initially developed around a 250cc Yamaha thumper (the same fitted to the XT 250 Serow which had been even available stateside) in Brazil, and it actually did seem promising, but it started to derail once it shifted toward becoming an EV.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:01 AM   #1256 (permalink)
EcoModding Noob

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Shitty Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL Single Cab
90 day: 16.65 mpg (US)
I think these are neat little vehicles, but 20k for a brand-new Arcimoto FUV is a lot of money. The brand is unproven and who knows if in 10 years it will still be around. In Q3 of 2022 they only delivered 74 vehicles, which was "the highest quarter of customer deliveries in Arcimoto’s history" What happens if I need replacement parts for my vehicle and Arcimoto is no longer around? There may not even be another FUV in my entire province...

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/new...te-Update.html

A brand new Mitsubishi Mirage, whilst not an EV, gets 36 combined with a 5spd, and 39 combined with a CVT. Not close to the efficiency of an electric car, but the company isn't likely going anywhere, and if it does, there were almost 16,000 sold last year in the US alone. Not to mention a 10yr / 100,000mi warranty. Mitsubishi also doesn't charge an extra $40 for cupholders...

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mitsub...es-usa-canada/
Old 02-02-2023, 03:13 AM   #1257 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I know in 10 years if they'll still be around.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Christian (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #1258 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I think these are neat little vehicles, but 20k for a brand-new Arcimoto FUV is a lot of money. The brand is unproven and who knows if in 10 years it will still be around. In Q3 of 2022 they only delivered 74 vehicles, which was "the highest quarter of customer deliveries in Arcimoto’s history" What happens if I need replacement parts for my vehicle and Arcimoto is no longer around? There may not even be another FUV in my entire province...
Trying to go mainstream with such a specialized product is always risky.

Quote:
A brand new Mitsubishi Mirage, whilst not an EV, gets 36 combined with a 5spd, and 39 combined with a CVT. Not close to the efficiency of an electric car, but the company isn't likely going anywhere, and if it does, there were almost 16,000 sold last year in the US alone. Not to mention a 10yr / 100,000mi warranty. Mitsubishi also doesn't charge an extra $40 for cupholders...
Sure it might not be so appealing to the average redneck either, but Mitsubishi not having tried to reinventing the wheel resulted in a more sustainable opportunity to sell the Mirage even in SUV-hungry Redneckistan.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #1259 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As I wander around town, people often comment on my Arcimoto hat.

In this case, today, I was standing in line to buy a pair of shoes at Goodwill and someone -- let's call him Kelly -- asked if I work there. I said no I just have a low reservation number, and he said "Well, I do!" And the person behind me said "Me too".

So this is only from a single source and I await confirmation, but his claim was that the production line is starting back up.

He assembles the upper frame so we got to talk about diecast frames and fusion drilling a threaded hole with a boss in round tubing.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #1260 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The second source is Arcimoto themselves. Via email:
Quote:
Greetings from Arcimoto! We are excited to announce we have started production on our 2023 FUV and Deliverator with first deliveries starting in March!

As we get ready for Spring deliveries we are thrilled to share our 2023 vehicles come with some new features and improvements. Headlining the model year 2023 product update is the new steering system that will deliver improved handling and maneuverability at all speeds while reducing steering effort by more than 40% from prior models. Additionally, this is not restricted to 2023 models. Our team is committed to creating a post-production version that prior model year FUV owners could elect to deploy for a $500.00 fee through our service organization.*

Our 2023 FUV now comes standard with our new steering system, cargo box, phone mount, cup holders and choice of colored vinyl. You can continue to add personalization to your design with seasonal vinyl prints, west coast half doors, Corbin diamond colored seats, and add a fun design pop with powder coated colored wheels! Order your FUV today with just a $250 deposit and get ready for FUV in the sun this Spring!
Available in thirteen states, plus the lesser Dismal Swamp.
Quote:
We are thrilled to announce our new pre-approval process to make it easy to get prequalified for your vehicle purchase with no SSN or DoB, and no affect on credit score. We are accepting orders for FUV and Deliverator from California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Hawai'i, Florida, Georgia, Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
I have no idea why preapproval would affect one's credit score. Nor do I care. Is it something like an ESG score?