Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #81 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs0u0155 View Post
I also thought about adding in control from the brake lights. i.e. if the temp is above a set minimum, then the grill opens up whenever the brakes are applied, adding alight aero braking and "free" cooling.
Interesting idea. However, in winter this would not be ideal. You could do it if you still referenced the coolant temp and made sure it was above the thermostat open temperature.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybarn
I'd suggest basing its control algorithm on ambient temperature rather than on coolant temperature (perhaps with overrides at low and high coolant temps). For example, the shutter might be fully shut at 30F and fully open at 100F, varying in between. The exact calibration would require experimentation. That way the grill opening would always be "just right" for the ambient temperature rather than being oversized at everything other than the maximum expected air temperature.

One could even consider a vehicle speed input so that the shutter gradually closes as speed increases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Interesting idea. However, in winter this would not be ideal. You could do it if you still referenced the coolant temp and made sure it was above the thermostat open temperature.
I would guess it would only open above your lower setpoint, and you would still only cool to that lower set point, but the external temp could be used as above... or, you may be able to have it only open so far depending on outside temps, this may even be a manual input (3 settings, COLD (<30F, 1/4 open), nice (<70F, 1/2 open), HOT (>70F, full open)). Basically, the colder it is, the less it opens when actuated. The user figures out what temp to move settings. This would help limit the number of actuations.

Personally, I have thought that having the temps on different things would be nice. Coolant, Oil, Transmission, Ambient. If you kept the LCD interface (like the MPGuino) you could display all four to the driver. This would help with determining the above temperatures, and help the driver to make sure their other components don't overheat.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #83 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
My thought would be
1)Coolant Temp
2) A/C On/ Off
3) Fans on High (so that when the A/C high side switch flips it would open wide.

Yes I use my A/C

That being said, a simpler approach could be coolant temp on/off switch + a tap on A/C fan High along with a pair of Diodes + a Relay.

Makes me want to break out the chopper gun and get to work.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
Makes me want to break out the chopper gun and get to work.
Do it! If you build it, others will follow! Daox has done a lot of the groundwork, but hasn't actually gotten it installed (to the best of my knowledge).

I know as far as I am concerned, I would like to have one, I have the abilities to copy/build the electronics, I have an idea on how it can be done (conceptually), but have no real understanding of how to do the programming. If someone shows me how, with a nice writeup and parts list, I would eventually get around to building one.

Oh, and as far as an AC fan/fan on high, you may be able to just tap into the wires running the fan(s) and get an LED to light on your dash (instead of having it displayed on the screen [if doing a screen]).
Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ford Ranger - '97 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
90 day: 21.28 mpg (US)
I'll begin working on a grill block soon for my Ranger. I've thought about some kind of open/close system. Engine over heating is not worth a few temporary mpg's; especially with a truck that might be used for hauling heavy loads. I am amazaed when I read about people who do a belly pan and full grill block, then act surprised when they blow their engine.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #86 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I have yet to hear anyone whose blown their engine...
Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
The only blown engines i hear about are those that redlined while turning around in circles or drove through a deeply flooded road.
But i suppose the point was that care needs to be taken with full or almost full grille blocks. You cant fit one and forget it. A bit of thought has to be put in. I have to remove mine whenever my wife drives my yaris. I don't know how she drives it but she got it fairly hot one day.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Look closely at recent cars - at least the European ones.
The grille blocks are already built in

It's not too obvious, but they all block those gaping holes from behind.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

large trucks have been using shutters behind the grill for years.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgrey50 View Post
I'm new around here, so excuse me if this idea has already come up. It strikes me the only time you'd want the grille door open is at a high coolant temp, which is exclusively a problem at low speed, and that you'd want it closed at lower coolant temp, which would generally occur at higher speeds. So hows about a nice simple spring-loaded flap which would stand open at low speeds and push closed at higher speeds?

A little experimentation with spring rates would allow opening and closing at a desired temperature.
I know there has to be a simply engineered solution I'm missing, but how do you get a spring-loaded flap to open under low pressure and close under high pressure?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
actuated, ardunio, automatic, grill block