Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My Mazda3 with variable valve timing and other goodies has a compression ratio of 13:1 and runs on regular gas, and in Europe the same engine is rated at 14:1, which is allowable there due to the higher octane of European RUG.

So, with proper engine valve and timing and etc. controls, modern cars are able to enjoy high compression efficiency and power.

I've found modern cars to be much more efficient than the ones I drove in the 50s, by a factor of two or three to one.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

All noted and thank for some of the comments - have some more thoghts to ponder over .

As far as the HHO - any combine accululative aid that can assist will make the end result .
Aquatune claim a 60%/40% HHO to water combination make their product work and some (perhaps same as running HHO plus water vaporized via ultrasonic .
Some misconceptions on the HHO is that it is being used as a fuel replacement - most of situations like myself it is a fuel enhancer only to assist the fuel burn and flame wavefront allowing for some benefits .

I had a look at the MPduino a while back and will have a relook into it .I am familiar with pi's and have done some arduino prodject so it should be interesting .

Do the very modern crs after 2010 measure the actual temperature of the fuel being delivered , reason is on carb setups a change in 20 degrees on the fuel can change AFR about 2 AFR .
Old 01-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,552 Posts
To my knowledge, if the flame front speed changes, ignition timing needs to change or it will, in theory, have a negative result. No ECU I know of does this automatically. If ignition timing is set to optimal for gasoline's flame speed, a faster flame speed will result in peak pressure too early and you'll have more negative work pushing against the piston on the end of the compression stroke, so ignition needs to be retarded. If this is done and the flame speed is really affected in a measurable way, it could help as much as 1-2%.

~

The ECU in my Honda has a compensation table for air, fuel and water temperatures. Fuel temperature has virtually no effect on AFR - it's actually far less than the effect of humidity. I believe this is because the mass of the fuel is so small, the intake manifold is heated, and fuel gets up to air temperature within milliseconds.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Which version of code of MGuino do you use - i see there are a few and the one has I suppose most if not all what a scanguage can do .
This one is also listed on ecomodders:
t vago's version of MPGuino
Do you have any pictures of your Mguino setup in your vehicle?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Years ago I assembled my own using an Arduino, and used the upper one from this page:

https://ecomodder.com/wiki/MPGuino

The one in my current car is a pre-made one. I bought the parts to assemble a new one but managed to get a pre-assembled from a forum member right before I started assembly.

The functionality for all of these is close to the same. Here's what mine looks like right now:

Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Very nice- I have a DMR mmdvm hotspot which uses the Nextion screen 3 or 3.2 inch which is touch screen so I can rob that to do a nice one in my vehicle in future , but for now I will do a 16x2 as a start as refinement can come later .
Old 01-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Brad what A/F ratio are you seeing when the Fuel Vaporizer is enabled?

Old 01-20-2020, 12:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Updated - I have put together the MPGuino on an arduino and all appears to be functional .
Next step is to change the code from indicating gallons to Liters - any pointers --I know I read it somewhere .
The Following User Says Thank You to bradlington For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I seem to recall the first time I booted mine up, it asked if units should be metric or not. Looking through the code, there are a few dozen flags for metric units. Try re-uploading the software and see if you're prompted for that.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update:
Did not take me long to figure out how to manipulate the code.

(1) I forced the program to boot up as default in metric by changing the following value from a 1 to a 2 under mpguino.conf file.(This was for version v0.97 credit to Meelis .)

#define CFG_UNITS 2 /* 1=US 2=METRIC */

(2) Changed start up text to display my name and vehicle and vehicle model .Mine now reads at same time :
Bradley top string on LCD
Subaru Legacy bottom string on LCD

(3) Changed Text startup to 5 seconds as the previous 1500 ms was very short .
All good and now to test it on the bench for a day or two and find a good mounting for it .

As mentioned I am using the arduino UNO as I was stuck on drivers for my arduino due boards and they were not being detected-thanks WINdoff.

With this I am hoping to be able to read real time especially when I am doing so much changes and a full tank of fuel is way too long to measure and react .

The Following User Says Thank You to bradlington For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-20-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread