Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #91 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
I know that this is overkill and would cost more than you get back. But if you take a hybrid, even a full sized hybrid like the Toyota Avalon, you could drop one of those Enginer plug-in hybrid conversion kits and run it like an EV around town, and get blended fuel mileage on the highway. Plus it would improve efficiency on the mountains by absorbing more energy on the downhill grades and giving it back when going up hill. It's just a thought.

I do have a permanently mounted, 240V, 40A, J1772 charging station in my driveway and electricity is about 1/3 the price of gasoline. It would be nice to be able to use it.

Plus it would be fun to brag getting 60mpg or better in a full sized car.

Last edited by Isaac Zackary; 07-19-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #92 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Well I'm pricing the Avalon Hybrid and already got a pre-approved auto loan. I found one nearby (within 300 miles) that was less than $18k and that didn't have more than 75k miles on it. (Mind you I wasn't willing to spend more than $10k on a Prius a week ago). Although at first it looked promising, after I did a Carfax report on it I found it had a salvage title.

There's another Avalon Hybrid that's a 2013 clear over in Fort Worth, TX, about two days drive from here. It's being sold for $16k and has only 54k miles. The Carfax report checks out fine. I'll have to arrange a pre-purchase inspection when I get there. I'm thinking of driving out there the Monday after next, if the car is still for sale. So far the dealer says the car is clean, that it hasn't been flooded or anything. I don't know though. It sounds too good to be true. And to drive 800 miles just to turn around and come back isn't that exciting.

There are a couple in the NY City and NJ areas with good Carfax reports. There is a third one in that area for $17,000, but it had been used as a Taxi and was in a wreck. I might be able to ride a plane out and hope that one of the cars will work out.

If it doesn't pan out with the Avalon hybrid I guess I could shoot for a regular Avalon. But there are only like 2 used Avalons or sale in Colorado that aren't more than my new ceiling of $18,000 and that aren't high mileage. Or raise my ceiling a couple grand for a used hybrid in exchange for a fuel savings of around $750 per year. I'd have to save more for that though. Or consider an Impala. After my Mom's new Chevy I really don't want one though. She's had problems left and right. I'm not too fond of Dodge or Ford either. Maybe a Hyundai.

I can't believe I'm even considering a full sized car. I'm the kind of guy that loves VW's old ad, "Think Small".
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Since you’re raising your ceiling and looking at hybrids, why not the Chevy Malibu hybrid? Basically has a scaled up Volt powertrain and almost certainly had a lower sticker than the Avalon... when I looked at them new, they started around $28k, and certainly would depreciate faster than an Avalon...

My last Ecotec project...
The Following User Says Thank You to 19bonestock88 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #94 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Since you’re raising your ceiling and looking at hybrids, why not the Chevy Malibu hybrid? Basically has a scaled up Volt powertrain and almost certainly had a lower sticker than the Avalon... when I looked at them new, they started around $28k, and certainly would depreciate faster than an Avalon...
I'll look into it. I'm just a little afraid of buying a Chevy. My mom has had fits with her new Chevy. But I'll take a look at the CR magazine and see what it says.

Is the Malibu a full sized car?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Is the Malibu a full sized car?
The Impala is Chevrolet's full sized car and compares to the Toyota Avalon. The Malibu is a mid-sized sedan seating between the Cruze and Impala, and compares to the likes of the Toyota Camry.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 AM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
That’s correct, the Malibu is billed as a midsize model, but standing in the showroom between them, I found it hard to tell much difference in size... the way GM is developing the models, it seems as if the Malibu is the model that’s getting the newer power trains and tech...

My last Ecotec project...
Old 07-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
That’s correct, the Malibu is billed as a midsize model, but standing in the showroom between them, I found it hard to tell much difference in size... the way GM is developing the models, it seems as if the Malibu is the model that’s getting the newer power trains and tech...
Honestly an Avalon isn't that much bigger than a Camry to my eyes, either.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If seating for 4 is enough go Volt. 40+ miles electric, ksa8907 is averaging 40+ on gas, looked at 2, $13.xxxx for 2013 with under 50,000 miles. Reliability from my research has been great and no battery deterioration that I could find.

Last edited by roosterk0031; 07-23-2018 at 10:51 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to roosterk0031 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #99 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
You have good points, I must say. But you haven't proved or convinced me that the Charger is the safest car out there and if it's really so much safer that it's hands down the only

I am interested in looking at the Charger and it's statistics. If twice as many people are dying in the Pri as they are in the Chargers then I'll definitely think about buying one. Still I need facts, proof, test results, statistics, not just somebody's word for it. I can't just tell my wife, "hey I decided to use our son's college fund for this gas guzzler because some guy on some forum said this was the car we should buy."

This is the one comment that is uncalled for. Let me tell you something. I live just a few blocks away from where I work, from the only place where I make
The case of the Dodge Charger it’s more of a who, when and where.

Chargers are owned by
1. Old Farts and Women
2. Primarily in Areas of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio
3. Rarely driven during the danger times (see above why)
4. Chargers drive more weekend miles than most any other model of car.

So a Charger demographically is generally not on the road in the most accident prone parts of the country, it’s driven by “safer” drivers (as strange as that might sound), the type/time of driving its used for normally is least likely to result in a fatality
Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #100 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Family responsibility is vehicle spec in a nutshell.

FE is only one marker of low cost. Long life and high reliability trump it, especially when coupled with safety-related statistical data on design.
Are Small Cars Safe?

What car is as close to this as possible?
  • Safe enough. Something that I won't regret buying if I ever get in an accident. According to Edmunds, bigger is better in this category, even accounting for top heavy SUV's. Of course I think there's a balance between a Suburban and a scooter.
  • Affordable. I don't want to have to choose between eating and driving. According to experts, an average car owner shouldn't spend more than 20% of his income on his transportation needs. In my case that would be about $500 per month. Payments on an Avalon for me would be about $180 in payments, $100 in insurance and $180 in fuel. That's $460 per month right there. Is $40 per month enough for taxes, maintenance and repairs? Of course I also drive a lot more than average and make a lot less than average, so I'm not average.
  • Reliable and long living. Something that isn't going to leave me stranded out in the middle of nowhere. And we have a lot of nowhere out here without cell phone service. Lots of cars are reliable in their first 200,000 miles. But I will be putting a lot more than that on my car. To make financial sense, I'd have to keep a car for at least 10 years or 420,000 miles. Now I'm all for preventative maintenance and car care as the number one priority. But as far as brands go, Toyota seems to be up near the top.
  • Good for long distance driving. I just got back from Salt Lake City and plan on driving to Fort Worth next week. And I find my little Golf to be a bit of a pain in the rear end (literally).

Sounds like I need a full sized sedan that costs $10,000 or less, that gets at 40mpg or better and won't need anything major repaired for the next 500,000 miles. Mmm… maybe a... >>THIS<<

The more I think about it the more my head hurts.

Last edited by Isaac Zackary; 07-23-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread