Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Best Seats for Back Pain

Well, age and abuse are starting to get the best of my back and seats. Looking at different seats to put in the Civic VX. Thinking of Saab or Volvo seats. More than likely Saab since they'll tilt forward. The will need to be manual, narrow enough to fit, and without side airbags. I can weld, and fabricate, so I'm open to almost anything reasonably priced (used is best).

General question is for you older folks, what are the best seats you've ever driven for back and all around comfort? I drive 3 hours, and after about 2, my back is killing me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Not a seat recommendation but I have had serious back issues going back 20 years.

Two things have made a huge difference.

A teeter inversion table.
A sleep number mattress.

I can't overemphasize the difference in quality of life. My back is mostly pain free without any mind numbing medication, which I could get if I wanted by just asking the doctor, who used to be my customer when he was in med school.

I've had the mattress for almost 9 years and I don't think I could live without it unless I ate pain meds constantly.

The inversion table is a more recent purchase. Once while hanging upside down I felt a disc realign and my upper body actually moved lower, in relation to my lower body, (inverted) as the disc found its comfortable location.

I can drive all day without back pain now, in the Ranger or Fiesta. The bike I can handle for about an hour without a break but it is very rare that I ride the bike that long.

I sleep on my side and 20 years ago I was in constant pain. Chiropractors were useless. I even tried home made rigs to pull my head upward to relieve the pressure. Symptoms included numbness in my left arm, terrible back pain between the shoulder blades, parkinsons type tremors due to pinched nerves. I told my wife that if this was all there was left I was ready to die and I meant it.

I feel better today than I did at age 40 before it got really bad. My solutions were therapudic and required no surgery or medication, so in my opinion they are the ONLY REAL solutions. I used to eat aspirin heavily, now I take no aspirin. The only exception is an advil (half the recommended dosage). with a 25 MG sleep additive before I got to bed at night after a very hot shower.

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
chumly (02-16-2014), Superfuelgero (02-18-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For a seat, get a recaro. Most VWs use recaro seats, but installing it is another issue.

Plan b, get a massage back pad in the medical isle of your favorite store. Most come with a cigar lighter plug and a strap to put it around your seat. I have one with heat and 4 massage zones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
mcrews (03-02-2014), Superfuelgero (02-18-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sizematters - '08 smart 4-2 passion cabrio
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)

escape - '06 Ford Escape xlt
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Buick - '04 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
I've had an inversion table for about a year now and there is NO way that I'll get rid of it. It has helped me a lot and I would recommend it before having any back surgery done. Chumly

The Following User Says Thank You to chumly For This Useful Post:
Superfuelgero (02-18-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I sleep on my side and 20 years ago I was in constant pain. Chiropractors were useless. I even tried home made rigs to pull my head upward to relieve the pressure. Symptoms included numbness in my left arm, terrible back pain between the shoulder blades, parkinsons type tremors due to pinched nerves. I told my wife that if this was all there was left I was ready to die and I meant it.

I feel better today than I did at age 40 before it got really bad. My solutions were therapudic and required no surgery or medication, so in my opinion they are the ONLY REAL solutions. I used to eat aspirin heavily, now I take no aspirin. The only exception is an advil (half the recommended dosage). with a 25 MG sleep additive before I got to bed at night after a very hot shower.

regards
Mech
Several years ago I experienced the same thing. My left hand was going numb while I was sleeping at night and it was awaking me. Fortunately I have an excellent medical plan. My doctor did an EKG. Negative. Then a cardio stress test. Passed it. Then a cardiac sonogram. Negative. Then a MRI (a very expensive test). After twenty minutes of being on the MRI platform my left side was so stiff I could hardly get off the table. The MRI was negative. Then I went to a neurologist. All tests, including the one for carpel tunnel came back negative. The neurologist told me my options were physical therapy, or pain patches and pills, or surgery. I said "I'll take the physical therapy."

I had had back problems all my adult life since I was in my 20's. When this occurred I was already doing 20 minutes of back exercises every morning. The neurologist told me to focus on my neck and gave me a few exercises to do. After two weeks with a follow-up appointment I noticed improvement.

As it turned out my entire left arm and my neck were the problem. Instead of actually going to visit a therapist, I did my own research on the web and found the necessary corrective exercises to do. I now do 30 minutes every morning, including situps, pushups, chinups and pullups. The only piece of equipment I use is a chinup bar and a weight (sledge hammer) to strengthen my arm. All the other exercises utilize my own body weight. I now have no pain at all. I have been shoveling and lifting heavy snow almost every day now for several hours per day, with no aches or pains.

My advice may not be welcome, but the problem is not with the seat. If you are in pain it's a deficiency in your physical fitness that can be overcome with the right corrective exercises. As we grow older doing daily exercise becomes essential for most people.

As for car seats, I have a lumbar support cushion that is basically a cushion that has a hard backing. You simply strap it into place on the seat back. There is no need to replace your car seats. Even the cheapest car seat can be improved by bolstering the back with an add on support, and you can also add a cushion for your butt if you want it comfy.
The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
My advice may not be welcome, but the problem is not with the seat. If you are in pain it's a deficiency in your physical fitness that can be overcome with the right corrective exercises. As we grow older doing daily exercise becomes essential for most people.
Second that, in the majority of cases anyway. I've had back issues since my 20s, but as long as I keep up with the exercises, they stay minor irritations at worst. If for some reason I don't (or can't, as the last couple of months with a broken wrist), sooner or later the pain will be back.

Of course comfortable seats could be worth doing for their own sake, especially for 3-hour drives. But I think you'd get better results, and much cheaper, by stopping halfway through the drive for 5 minutes or so of stretching exercises.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
mcrews (03-02-2014), Superfuelgero (02-18-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Back and such pain in general? Assuming there is no under lying issue its like the guys have said, muscle. Either tired muscle, muscle spasm, weak muscle, soft tissue damage.

Me, I self crack my bones and align stuff. I use a yoga ball and I also do deep stretches. I have a low back chair that comes to middle of my thighs. I have a belt neat the bottom rear legs. I stand behind the chair and loop the belt behind my ankles. I then bend over the back of the chair with my legs straight.

Make sure to do this when no one is around or looking or you may feel a swift swat to your rear end.

The reason the seat hurts you is that its not supporting your body right and putting stress on your muscles, joints, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I feel your pain brother.

After head on collision friend and I had very much same issue with pain and subsequent numbness from exaggerated sitting positions.
We were doing salvage rebuilds at that time and after suffering through groups of Japanese cars, we won auction bids on a few thunderbirds and craigslist purchased 2 late 90s super coupes. After rebuilding them we always drove the cars for a month before resale so Long story short not just the seats but the cars ride itself matters.
If you believe I am incorrect I challenge you to put a clear glass of water in cup holder on next trip and see what your car is really doing.
We kept one of the Super Coupes just because of its ride quality.
P.S. The New Ford trucks are so posh you cant even feel the road go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
Well, age and abuse are starting to get the best of my back and seats. Looking at different seats to put in the Civic VX. Thinking of Saab or Volvo seats. More than likely Saab since they'll tilt forward. The will need to be manual, narrow enough to fit, and without side airbags. I can weld, and fabricate, so I'm open to almost anything reasonably priced (used is best).

General question is for you older folks, what are the best seats you've ever driven for back and all around comfort? I drive 3 hours, and after about 2, my back is killing me.
The Following User Says Thank You to justme1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Without a doubt Volvo seats are the best, or my own personal choice would be Lexus RX450h seats

Generally I find people who sit upright in the seats often suffer back pain, reclining the seat takes more of your body weight off of your spine & into the seat back bolster. Having a long reach steering wheel adjustment helps lots too.

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
The Following User Says Thank You to cptsideways For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Thanks guys for the advice. My pain is upper and middle back.

VW and Toyota seats do it to me too, just takes a little longer.

I'm going to work on the ride also. first step will be to go back to stock, then wait for a deal on airbags.

Reply  Post New Thread