Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2021, 02:43 AM   #61 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't know the specifics, but read when dodge put out the V10 in 1994 it was because the older 440 big block just couldn't get complete enough burn in the big cylinder holes to meet modern emissions. The v10 shared the same bore as the 360 V8 which had just been modernized in 1992.
I'd take such claims with a grain of salt. Just look at Ford replacing its 6.8L V10 with the Godzilla 7.3L V8 which BTW also moved back from OHC to OHV.

Quote:
So a reliable thumper like a Honda 90 may not scale up as well as you might think.
Sure making a thumper clean and efficient yet large enough to move a truck (or large car) would be challenging to say the least, but the mention to the Honda Cub engine was just a reference for its appearance.

Honestly something similar to those old-school Japanese horizontal-single Diesel engines which were fitted to Tobatta tractors would be closer to what I had in mind.

A random Chinese copy with a 1.2L displacement and roughly 15 to 20hp around 2200 RPM

There were similar engines up to 1.8L which actually could still perform quite reasonably compared to the Volkswagen 1.6L IDI fitted to the early Rabbit Diesel, yet at a considerable disadvantage when it comes to dead weight.

On a sidenote, some of those engines still feature a built-in 220V power outlet even when they're meant for other applications, so it wouldn't be so out of question to apply a similar concept to an engine meant to a hybrid vehicle. Let's suppose someone tried to convert one from Diesel to gasser...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
But that new 7.3 Ford is benefiting from 26 years of technology that the 7.3 Dodge didn't have. Technically the 7.3 Dodge was already 30 years old at that point so the 7.3 Ford is literally 1/2 century newer.

It does show that it can be done, even at the time Dodge dropped their 7.3 Chevy was making a 8.1 for another 10 years.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #63 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Doesn't 7.3 kinda equal the displacement of the old 460 which is really ancient.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #64 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

The old 460 was 7.6L actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
But that new 7.3 Ford is benefiting from 26 years of technology that the 7.3 Dodge didn't have.
Yet resorting to both a larger unitary displacement and OHV valvetrain in contrast to the V10, not to mention port-injection which may be inaccurately pointed out as somewhat outdated nowadays as direct injection is getting more widespread, are a sign that underestimating some "traditional" engine design features may not be such a great one-size-fits-all approach.

Quote:
It does show that it can be done, even at the time Dodge dropped their 7.3 Chevy was making a 8.1 for another 10 years.
I don't remember what was the last year for the Vortec 8100 in the full-size Chevy, but it's easy to guess the improvements to Diesel tech around that very same timeframe have led to a fierce competition for the big-block V8 among commercial operators.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Go Go Grocery Getter - '14 Mazda CX 5 Touring
So I have been very entertained by this thread. I wanted to redirect it back to building a hybrid truck though.

I tow all the time. I know that the new Tundra hybrid is specifically to help with towing, not MPG, and the F-150 hybrid can tow, but anything under a 1/2 ton sized hybrid vehicle has abysmal tow ratings. Could you take the OP's idea of a mild hybrid add on build to aid in towing and MPG and not effect the overall tow rating of a factory ICE vehicle much? I know, I know, have my cake and eat it too.....

Here is some background to help you understand where Im coming from and trying to accomplish. I currently drive a Mazda CX-9 (i know, not the best tow vehicle, and likely not a great candidate for a hybrid conversion, but great driver's vehicle and family hauler), and have an order in for a Ford Maverick Ecoboost (not hybrid). I need a minimum of 3500lbs tow capacity for my tool trailer. I currently get about 13 MPG with the 2.5 T Mazda when towing, and about 25 MPG highway when not towing. I could switch to an F150 or similar, but would just get like 20MPG all the time. Would it be fesible to take something like the Maverick and add an inline electric motor to keep the 4k towing capability, but bump the MPG up? Or would a 48v motor/gen attached to the ICE motor be a better way to accomplish that goal?

edit- also, if there is a thread this should be in rather than this one, let me know!

Last edited by narclepticfool; 05-01-2023 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: additional thought
Old 05-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Electify the tool trailer?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
narclepticfool (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Go Go Grocery Getter - '14 Mazda CX 5 Touring
That's certainly an interesting option. I know some OEMs are trying to do that for electric car towing range. I know there also was a guy who put a Tesla battery pack in his trailer as a range extender.

Any thoughts on controlling such a rig?
Old 05-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
No. Closest I can come is Bluetooth and Raspberry Pi.

The regen is nice, but there is also the option of having [up to] 3-phase 240V power onsite.

Edit: Now that I think about it, a trailer hitch that can resolve the force on it [forward back left right] and a microcontroller that can aid or retard motion and sense yaw for anti-jack-knifing.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:29 AM   #69 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by narclepticfool View Post
Any thoughts on controlling such a rig?
It has been tried commercially on big-rigs in my country.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...zil-38375.html
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-03-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 04:53 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
You will get 90% of the benefit on mpg of a hybrid truck if you get a manual transmission truck and add the following:

1. Electric power steering: So you can steer without being hercules. Quite a few diy electric assist steering column write ups now.

2. Kill switch: easy off without cycling interior electronics on/off every 30 seconds. Maybe even rig up a separate switch and relay to the starter to crank the truck without the key cycle when the stoplights turn green.

The only bummer here is:

No AC when the engine is off: Thats a no from me dawg. But if you could rig up an electric ac compressor or an e assist one you could have AC. That would be sick. Doable. But showing up every where sweaty is not doable.

*Also, I can go without the E assist brakes after the initial vacuum rolls off. Never really been an issue.

A Ford Ranger 3.0 5 speed manual or a First Gen Tundra v6 5 speed manual would be great candidates. Too bad you can't do the extra tall rear gear ratios like Fords in the Toyota or it could get some pretty insane gas mileage. But ultimate reliability makes up for it.

*I would love to see someone do a hybrid assist where there is a gear mesh of some sort. But not realistic. Getting the ac compressor to work engine off would be more useful to get working first.