Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Boattail without boattailing

Is there a way to boattail a small sedan without doing a full on boattail?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
Mount a force field generator in the trunk, and tweak the "shell" until it's about the right shape. Another effect is that the tailgater who doesn't stop in time may be vaporized by the field, but that's his own fault, right?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
I have been pondering an inflatable decklid extension for my Toyota Echo sedan. It could be controlled manually by a switch or automatically depending on vehicle speed. That way, it is less imposing (size-wise) when deployed and easily hidden when not needed. I believe that would be a good compromise and yield interesting results.

Here is what my car should look like when fully done !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_echo1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	9962  
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I think I will remove the bumper and turn it into a pan that flows to the trunk. I may shave the edge of the trunk lid down a little and see about shaving the sides of the car. I don't mind doing the boattail, just seeing if there were any other options.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've kind of wondered about the feasibility of a windsock style boattail. Something along the lines of a sea anchor, but fitted to the rear end of the car with just enough of an opening to fill it with air at speed.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentraguy View Post
Is there a way to boattail a small sedan without doing a full on boattail?
Kamm and Korff recommended cars with enough boat-tail such that the wake would be 1/2 the frontal area of the vehicle.That occurs at about 50% of aft-body boat-tail.Thie recommendation is based on 'practical' length for operating in traffic,negotiating streets,turns,curbs,ramps and parking.
Your design drag coefficient will determine how much you add.
I looked over my materials and it looks like a car with 'no' aft-body streamlining at all would be limited to a Cd minimum of 0.20.An extreme example would be the Blue Flame rocket powered land speed record car.It's rocket ship body has a higher drag than the blunt and 'stubby' Renault Vesta II.
It would basically be impossible to achieve lower drag without extending the rear.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (01-04-2012), Cd (01-04-2012), drmiller100 (01-03-2012), KamperBob (01-03-2012), landsailor (01-04-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Kamm and Korff recommended cars with enough boat-tail such that the wake would be 1/2 the frontal area of the vehicle.That occurs at about 50% of aft-body boat-tail.Thie recommendation is based on 'practical' length for operating in traffic,negotiating streets,turns,curbs,ramps and parking.
Your design drag coefficient will determine how much you add.
I looked over my materials and it looks like a car with 'no' aft-body streamlining at all would be limited to a Cd minimum of 0.20.An extreme example would be the Blue Flame rocket powered land speed record car.It's rocket ship body has a higher drag than the blunt and 'stubby' Renault Vesta II.
It would basically be impossible to achieve lower drag without extending the rear.
Half wake sounds pragmatic.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffremle View Post
I've kind of wondered about the feasibility of a windsock style boattail. Something along the lines of a sea anchor, but fitted to the rear end of the car with just enough of an opening to fill it with air at speed.
Wouldn't this work like a parachute, sucking energy from the car?

Here's how I see it. To inflate the sock it would have to have at least equal pressure inside than out. This would mean it's got to pull in a lot of air. So, to keep it from deflating or rippling at speed it might add more drag to your car than it actually solves. If you closed off the back and had small intakes at the cant rails like a Ford RS200's air intakes you might be able to keep it inflated. But I still doubt the real-world viability. Venturi intakes, perhaps?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I noticed today as the cold air made it where vehicle exhaust was visible, that the air behind certain vehicles is very violent. Awesome to see first hand that all this is true. Is there a template for the perfect boat tail design?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentraguy View Post
I noticed today as the cold air made it where vehicle exhaust was visible, that the air behind certain vehicles is very violent. Awesome to see first hand that all this is true. Is there a template for the perfect boat tail design?
Check this link for starters: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post116392

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread