Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Bob [He Who Likes to Make Stuff] made a slide-out pantry! :D

I was trying to figure out how to make the best use of a spot Mom has in her kitchen. Right now she has a 2-drawer filing cabinet there.

Dude, we have so many 2-drawer filing cabinets!

Obviously I could replace that filing cabinet with a 4-drawer one, but a year ago I was trying to find something that looked better in the kitchen. You know, something that I would have a one-in-a-million chance of Mom approving.

So, you're saying there's a chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I discovered slide-out pantries:

That looks perfect! I didn't look on-line at the time, but I figured that this would be excessively expensive, so I tried to find plans. I finally gave up and tried to figure out how to make my own and encountered this:
Have you had recent orders canceled?

I finally got the standard pantry that I ordered and Mom promptly bought enough food to fill it and still live on the floor. I recently bought one from Home Depot, but I haven't had the time to set it up. She doesn't want me to, she keeps telling me to drag it into the garage and open one end, because that would be totally adequate to air out the boards, despite the one that I assembled almost a year ago still smelling!

I keep trying to explain surface area, but she has zero tolerance for math, reason, and logic.

The thing is, in order to make room for the cabinet, I need to get Dad's old printer stand out of there, which would require emptying the printer stand, and relocating Dad's old office printer onto the filing cabinet next to my television in my room.

I use it as a computer monitor.

I am sure that I would finally use the drawers in the cabinet to store stuff because there would be a giant printer where I currently have some random stuff.

Before I can bring out the printer I really need to move my computer, 43" television, and my table out of the way, drag out my old twin XL mattress, and push everything 8" deeper under my loft, virtually guaranteeing that I will start hitting my head again.

Did I work on any of that last night?

No, I visited my girlfriend.

Am I working on any of this tonight?

No, I am visiting my girlfriend.

It is sad that I would rather have a helper than a meaningful relationship, but do you really want me to list all of the things that I need to fix?!

Anyway, I didn't have the time to watch [or post about] this, but Bob made a video about one of my many projects!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
It is sad that I would rather have a helper than a meaningful relationship, but do you really want me to list all of the things that I need to fix?!
I'd settle for either one. I had a son thinking I'd have a helper. It lasted until he was about six.

And I'd use the heavy bottom mounting slide inverted on the top instead of the side slide.

.....have you clicked the lenny-face link? ヽ(⩾ ͜ʖ⩽)ノ

Old 07-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

She has helped me far more with projects than anyone else and we have dated five weeks.

Bob mentioned wanting to remove the pantry, but not being able to reach the tabs, so he figured he would use a stick.

Access holes?
Old 07-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My parents built a lot of cabinets like that. They had a wall of diminishing [closet] doors under a staircase faced with t&g cedar. They used 'push to open touch catches' and the carpenters felt the need to 'test' them each time they walked by.

duckduckgo.com/?q=touch%20catch

Old 07-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'd settle for either one. I had a son thinking I'd have a helper. It lasted until he was about six.
I've had people tell me I'll regret not having children because I won't have anyone to take care of me when I'm old. I tell them I'll pay someone to take care of me.

How many kids are willing to be full-time care givers for their parents these days?
Old 07-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

I don't know, but I help out a lot.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
We inherited grandma when my wifes sister went all witchy (there is an word exclusion editor here?) and evicted her during christmas last year Covid. Does that count?

My hope is to go suddenly during a cataclysmic local event. With my recent nagging small health decline, lingering doesn't have a ton of benefits.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I don't know, but I help out a lot.
You're a good example for the rest of us. My parents moved from McMinnville to Willamina so my grandmother (confined to a wheelchair the late eight years) would be more comfortable in her own home. Then they moved back.

Quote:
(there is an word exclusion editor here?)
Try making a link to Bit Chute.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
lingering doesn't have a ton of benefits.
No it doesn't. My aunt has Parkinsons. She was diagnosed at about 60 and is now 76. She has required full-time care for almost 3 years and now is almost completely home bound. Her "life" revolves around struggling to fulfill the basics of eating and visiting the bathroom. She has been ready to pass for awhile but her body keeps on.

My father is her care-giver for 3 1/2 days with the other days covered by a paid care-giver. The last 3 years has taken a hard toll on him both mentally and physically and he is basically burning what may be the last good years of his life just as my aunt's spent her last good years caring for my uncle.

Getting old sucks.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Getting old sucks.
Amen