Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
It makes the rate variable from 6-20 amps at both 120 and 240 volts.
Factory EVSE will only do 120 volts 11 (same say 12) amps.
Basically it will allow me to level 2 (or level 1) charge from anyplace that I can access 240 volts via plug adapters at up to 4.8 KW. Also enables super slow charge if I get stuck on some craptaular circuit. For me this is in addition to my home 50 amp (40 amp continuous) EVSE that my car can only use 27.5 amps of for 6.6 KW.

EVSE Upgrade for 2013-2014 Nissan LEAF (high-power) [UN2R3H] - $287.00 : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions

You have a 2 pole 50 amp circuit breaker . You are allowed ( per NEC ) to load that to 80% for continuous duty . So you are correct , 40 amps .

This applies to almost everything .

God bless
Wyr

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I'm back in town, I haven't updated yet because I ended up with 2 right side headlights. I then returned the worse condition (which had 0 tabs remaining despite being advertised as "Like New") and tried for another Left, that one arrived today with 2 broken tabs (out of 4) a cracked lens, and 2 cracked trim components. Instead of dealing with another junkyard I decided to repair this one, it is 75% done at this point. I only knew about the tabs when I purchased.

I don't know what the difference between VW junk yards and Nissan junkyards, but out of the dozens of parts I have ordered from no less than 5 countries with language barriers I have never had a single part fall below expectations. So far my Nissan experience is 1 for 3.

The car continues to impress, I've let 2 oilfield friends drive it and both of them were amazed, one is ready to buy one when oil goes back up (his income will rise). Most people that I've shown it to has been amazed such a thing exist.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #43 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
You have a 2 pole 50 amp circuit breaker . You are allowed ( per NEC ) to load that to 80% for continuous duty . So you are correct , 40 amps .

This applies to almost everything .

God bless
Wyr
And as per circuit breaker heat loading, unless you have some sort of cooling going on in your breaker panel, not that I've ever done anything so stupid . . .

At some point I'll get a Model S to plug in and run over everything with the Flir, but with the LEAF the only things that gets warm are the breaker and the contactor
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 AM   #44 (permalink)
100 mpg 1 tonne truck

Z - '77 Datsun 280Z 2+2 custom
90 day: 31.85 mpg (US)

Bumble Bee - '06 www.mpgtrikes.com nomaOmatic x1
90 day: 76.46 mpg (US)

VW Caddy Pickup Truck - '81 Volkswagen Rabbit Caddy Pickup Truck
90 day: 33.1 mpg (US)

KLR - '09 Kowasaki KLR 650 Dual Sport
90 day: 54.65 mpg (US)

The Juggernaught - '65 Gillig 35' motor coach
90 day: 6.55 mpg (US)

hummingbird - '81 Volkswagen rabbit vx
90 day: 165.09 mpg (US)

HD Ruby - '12 nissan leaf sl
90 day: 99.66 mpg (US)

Eco Ruby - '12 Nissan Leaf Sl
90 day: 169.6 mpg (US)

Billy - '01 Dodge 2500 2wd
90 day: 18.38 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to teknomage2012 Send a message via Yahoo to teknomage2012
What to expect past turtle mode

Today I found a few pointers
When stretching the range it is better to coast than to regen.
When the turtle shows up find your parking of choice at the next most convenient space immediately.
Once you coast past turtle; the high voltage battery contactor opens, Regen no longer works, and the 12v dc/dc converter shuts down.
If your flashers have been on long enough, or any other total 12 vdc loads have pulled the battery low; windows roll down better than up, you may not be able to shift to neutral nor get it out of park, the instrument cluster, door locks, and things start to wig out...
Any car or 12 vdc can replenish a drained battery with a pair of jumper cables to get to nutral for towing.
If you don't go past turtle mode like I did, you can tow regen with up to full regen braking almost as fast as a QC L3 station (a 5 10 min tow to the nearest gas station can add a quite a few miles of range)

The street cred and karma credits of driving a leaf are amazing.
Within moments of crisis I had a fellow leafer flag me down and went the extra mile helping me through the ordeal towing me to the nearest QC station and ensuring it registered KWH charged.
Additionally a young couple in a sports car stopped and tendered assistance with communications through all this, within short order of my leaf finding it's uphill resting space.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I looked it up online & I find only one charging station in our city , at a Nissan dealership . Do not know if it is available to the general public .

Probably not too surprising , since I live on the outskirts of the oil patch .

If I owned an EV , I would have to be VERY careful . 99.99% of the recharges would have to be at home .

God bless
Wyr
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Answering to the first post:

- Lower the car by 20mm (www pro4x net ) 3% extra miles, tested
- Front and rear wheel cover - 6% lower Cd possible (publications lib chalmers se/records/fulltext/133661 pdf , pages 21-29)
- Smoother, continous bellypan ( www nissanusa com/content/dam/nissan/vehicles/2016/leaf/colors-photos/exterior-photos/2016-nissan-leaf-undercarriage-large jpg)

PS- I'm going to get a Leaf as well

Sorry for the links, lurker since 2009, first post!!!
Put dots instead of spaces and it works
Old 03-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paconassa View Post
... Sorry for the links, lurker since 2009, first post!!!
Put dots instead of spaces and it works
Fixed 'em for ya (and checked that they work):

pro4x.net
http://lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/133661.pdf
http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam...iage-large.jpg

And the pics are cool:

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-03-2016 at 02:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
paconassa (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
subbb...scribed
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #49 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknomage2012 View Post
What to expect past turtle mode

Today I found a few pointers
When stretching the range it is better to coast than to regen.
When the turtle shows up find your parking of choice at the next most convenient space immediately.
Once you coast past turtle; the high voltage battery contactor opens, Regen no longer works, and the 12v dc/dc converter shuts down.
If your flashers have been on long enough, or any other total 12 vdc loads have pulled the battery low; windows roll down better than up, you may not be able to shift to neutral nor get it out of park, the instrument cluster, door locks, and things start to wig out...
Any car or 12 vdc can replenish a drained battery with a pair of jumper cables to get to nutral for towing.
If you don't go past turtle mode like I did, you can tow regen with up to full regen braking almost as fast as a QC L3 station (a 5 10 min tow to the nearest gas station can add a quite a few miles of range)
I didn't know about the opening of the contacter part, thanks for the Info.

I haven't hit turtle yet, but came SUPER close the other day when I arrived at my destination with 15 miles on the Guess O Meter and got a call that I HAD to go back to the shop 19 miles away. I just took the back roads and kept speeds down until I saw a large 5th wheel RV behind me so I pulled over in a drive way for him to pass then drafted (closer than I would like to admit) for the majority of the way back,

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknomage2012 View Post
The street cred and karma credits of driving a leaf are amazing.
Within moments of crisis I had a fellow leafer flag me down and went the extra mile helping me through the ordeal towing me to the nearest QC station and ensuring it registered KWH charged.
Additionally a young couple in a sports car stopped and tendered assistance with communications through all this, within short order of my leaf finding it's uphill resting space.
Wow, another Leaf driver, I've only seen 1 (besides mine) in town EVER.
I have been shocked at the "Street Cred" / Karma of the Leaf as well, everybody just seems to like the thing which I amazed by in my part of the world.

Having a QC station makes me jealous, my nearest one is about 130 miles away, but my car doesn't even have the CHADEMO option so that is double moot.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #50 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
I looked it up online & I find only one charging station in our city , at a Nissan dealership . Do not know if it is available to the general public .

Probably not too surprising , since I live on the outskirts of the oil patch .

If I owned an EV , I would have to be VERY careful . 99.99% of the recharges would have to be at home .

God bless
Wyr
Where do you live?
I have made 2 signs for local business that include the phrase "At the Heart of the Oil patch". I'm sure you used PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! My options inside driving range are 2 Nissan Dealers (which to the best of my knowledge are all FREE) with the regular 6.6 KW+ Nissan branded AeroVironment EVSE's, 1 BMW dealer with a free Charge point station, and 3 houses that chose to list their chargers. I haven't charged at any of them yet, only the shop and 2 friends houses. So, yeah so far I'm 100% on my own "infrastructure".

I do however have the EVSE upgrade cord (details above in this thread) so I can charge from most any outlet at pretty much any rate up to 16 amps 120 and 20 amps 240 adjustable in 1 amp increments. I have a pretty good idea of which of my friends would let me plug in if I needed to.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
Reply  Post New Thread