Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Not killing animals for food makes sense to me. Not sucking petroleum out of the earth and then burning it also seems logical, but nobody likes people who say they are better than others.

Be like me! Don't tell anyone you are better than them, let that be your secret! :P
I understand the philosophy of veganism, and it doesn't bother me that people practice it. I'm not even bothered by people telling me I should also be vegan.

Arguments that it is murder don't follow, although I'm willing to entertain the discussion. Animals that hunt other animals for food don't murder them, they kill them, which is the way nature works. Our criminal system doesn't even prosecute on behalf of the victim, but instead on behalf of itself (The State of California vs *suspect's name*). The state is deprived of a person in their care when a person is murdered, so it seeks retribution and restitution from the offender. Animals have no such concept or awareness.

No doubt that anyone with an opinion differing from my own has a differing philosophical view, which is fine. The only time this becomes a problem is when someone is using virtue signaling to enhance their group standing with the intent of motivating that group to action against the person that does not hold that value.

Unfortunately our culture seeks to be as offended as possible as a means to create a divide and push conflict. Somehow being offended is considered a virtue, and thin skin a sign of strength of character.

Vegetarianism makes sense as it takes less land to produce sufficient food for people (it's more efficient). Much of the world lives on a diet of rice and beans, which I suppose I could tolerate if I had to. I'm more of a "eat to live" rather than "live to eat" type anyhow.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
There is a classic Usenet post I've got squirreled away who-know-where. A wall of text that hits all the points without divulging the area of concern. All-purpose, as it were.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
There is a classic Usenet post I've got squirreled away who-know-where. A wall of text that hits all the points without divulging the area of concern. All-purpose, as it were.
This gives a little insight into the abstract and wandering nature in which I think. You should see how bad all of it is before I edit.

Mostly I'm fishing for someone to entertain other interesting topics such as virtue signaling, the distinction between killing and murder, tribalism, groupthink, and philosophy in general.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's Xist's thread, let's ask him.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I just came from a thread where someone insists on bottom-quoting and I have started skipping his posts and gleaning what he wrote from the responses.

My brain is full. May I be excused?

Don't you remember? Rice is evil! Rice paddies produce methane!

I also despise rice milk, but I have not liked any "milks" that do not come from a cow. Then there is the technical argument that it is is not milk if it does not come from an animal.

Someone argued that livestock have a higher quality of living than wild animals. How many predators do they have? Which death is cleaner?

What happens when activists release farm animals?
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Don't you remember? Rice is evil! Rice paddies produce methane!
I knew you could be counted on to keep us on track.

Rice paddies are full of blood sucking leeches. There must be some way to vertical farm... Nevermind.

What happened after the Willamette Valley farmers released their Nutria when the market for their fur collapsed in the 1950s? I had them living in the sewer pipe in front of my house in the 1990s.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I understand the philosophy of veganism, and it doesn't bother me that people practice it. I'm not even bothered by people telling me I should also be vegan.
Once at the Manaus airport I met an Indian-American who was strictly vegan because of his religion, and I had to help him since he didn't speak Portuguese and some restaurant clerks didn't speak English. He didn't even try to push me into veganism, otherwise I'd be bothered. Well, a guy like that deserves more respect than the radical vegans who recently performed some virtue-signaling campaigns at a park where I usually go on Sundays to eat acarajé.

Quote:
Much of the world lives on a diet of rice and beans, which I suppose I could tolerate if I had to.
Never heard of feijoada, usually prepared with pork? Well, many bean-based dishes actually have some sort of meat or other animal protein added to them, not just pork but also some cheap beef (in Brazil some people use some meats with the bone on them, while in Mexico it's more usual to add minced meat to the chilli con carne).

Just look at this acarajé (which by the way was delicious): a fried dough made out of black-eyed peas (in Brazil they're considered beans instead of peas) traditional in African cuisines which had been incorporated to the tradition of some Afro-Brazilian religions, and a typical street-food in Bahia. Dried shrimp is a traditional filling for acarajé.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I heard something about a PETA woman shooting Facebook employees and then committing suicide. What I heard was that she was angry that her animal rights videos had been demonetized. Not interested enough to do a search for the story, but apparently some vegans are so fanatical in their religion that they are willing to kill and die for the cause.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Really? A copykat of the Youtube shooter?

Whom I won't name, like Ben Shapiro (or Scott Adams, I forget) to deny the infamy. Apparently her 'workout' videos were age restricted.

According to Lionel, this is a story about mental health, not the manifestations of it. I think she has a jaw-line like David Hogg. Human/alien half-breeds.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Vegetarianism makes sense as it takes less land to produce sufficient food for people...
Not to me. I don't see the sense in further encouraging overpopulation. Better to work on getting the Earth's population down to a sustainable level - say around 500 million - then we could all live as we choose.

Reply  Post New Thread