Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #211 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

recreating data points by estimating along the lines could be a good way but it must surely exist some published "csv" data for any BSFC chart or mathematical equations or measurements about specific fuel consumption of vehicles anywhere?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #212 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I doubt that the raw data must be published anywhere: Just the charts are hard to find, and I don't see any reason why the engine's maker would want anyone to have access to more detailed data.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #213 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I mean that somewhere raw data for one single chart for a 10 year old engine or something like that should be available
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #214 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OHRALLY - '99 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
90 day: 34.06 mpg (US)

COROLLYPOLY - '02 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 46.97 mpg (US)
Is there a link to how I can make one of these charts? I haven't seen anything on this topic anywhere. 22 pages of info will kill my phones data! Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #215 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I doubt that the raw data must be published anywhere: Just the charts are hard to find, and I don't see any reason why the engine's maker would want anyone to have access to more detailed data.

"I mean that somewhere raw data for one single chart for a 10 year old engine or something like that should be available "
I would love to have BSFC charts for every motor I have but think yourself lucky you get one at all, let alone raw data.

I really want a full chart for my 6.2 C code and the 2.2 cobalt I have but I doubt that will ever happen.

Heck I would like one for the 1ltr Yugo I have laying around, again not gonna happen.

Ah well
Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #216 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
Is there a link to how I can make one of these charts?
It's easy, all you need is an engine dyno that can impose loads on the engine, plus very sensitive fuel-flow instruments, a bunch of gas, and a bunch of time.

OK, it's easy if you are an automobile manufacturer. Maybe not so much for the rest of us.

-soD
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #217 (permalink)
Southern Squidbillie

JHC, i just read thru 22 pages, 216 posts. Unfortunately the Signal to Noise ratio was very low.

It would be nice if the first post contained the link to the wiki page that actually has all the BSFC charts known to mankind that exist on this great whirled wide websticle of tubes known as the internet--instead of plodding thru this monstrous thread...

Many thanks to the chart contributors, and to the wise folks who understand these things and shared their knuggets of knowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to kennybobby For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #218 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
That is a good idea. I've added the link to the first post and I'll also be going through this thread to see what BSFC maps haven't been added to the wiki. I know there are some.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #219 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
That is a good idea. I've added the link to the first post and I'll also be going through this thread to see what BSFC maps haven't been added to the wiki. I know there are some.
Noise - its too bad there are so few of them.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #220 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BSFC for turbo engine

Hi guys, I have been lurking for a long while now. I stumbled onto your forum a couple years ago looking for BSFC charts. A buddy of mine had turned me on to autospeed.com and I was really interested in their article on BSFC. They had a link to a Transport Canada report by Sierra Research which supposedly had BSFC charts for turbo engines, but the link didn't work. Sierra Research sells the report, I called and said I only needed the single BSFC chart, they do not allow that, I'd have to buy the entire $60-70 report.
A year ago, I purchased a 2012 Chevy Sonic with 1.4T, 6-speed manual, double overdrive. I was really curious what the turbo did to the shape and location of the efficiency island. I was thinking the turbo, extracting some energy from the exhaust and driving the compressor to overcome the pumping losses would allow the efficiency island to expand down to lower load.
I tried calling Chevy customer service and asked them if they could get the BSFC from powerplant engineering, I also asked for Cd and frontal area. OK, stop laughing, I knew it was a long shot!
My dream would be to have a BSFC chart with lines of constant hp and turbo-boost.
I looked thru your BSFC figures and there are no gasoline turbos in there. Any idea where I could get one? I may just cough up the money and buy the Sierra research report.
I'm a mechanical engineer with 20 years experience in jet engine design and analysis, so I really love this kind of stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Rich

Reply  Post New Thread