Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I don't know why people are so quick to buy a huge expensive vehicle they really wont need when a trailer will work.
THANK YOU!!!!
I have been telling my brother this for so long, but this is Texas so I guess he feels like he needs a big truck to fit in or something... He just bought a Chevy 2500HD Diesel about a month ago. It gets about 18mpg on a good day. He did get a good deal on it though and it came with a hard top bed cover, but the truck bed is ALWAYS nearly empty, maybe some tools in there but not much else. I tried to convince him to get a trailer since he hardly ever needs to tow around anything and he would get twice the gas mileage in a smaller vehicle. His arguements were "you can't go offroading with a trailer", "but I want to be able to tow my dirt bikes" (as if you can't tow dirt bikes on a flat bed... easier), "a car can't tow a trailer", and the BEST "but I would need the truck bed every day" (he hasn't needed it once).

Some day he will start listening to me... hopefully

P.S. Can;t find a rated towing capacity for the Del Sol some say it can pull over 700-1000lbs... I do know that I can pull my brothers truck with some tow straps and it weights 6,500lbs (don't worry, it wasnt far AT ALL), though that is a bit different than a trailer.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 04-25-2013 at 04:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
gone7 (05-09-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
A RWD sedan and a FWD minivan (of reasonable size) can pull most any aero load down paved roads. Well in excess of "ratings". For more miles than the owner will likely keep it.

However, when one gets down to the very smallest cars, the limitations become apparent quickly. One must be more careful about cooling system capacity, etc. Most states require trailer brakes at the 2,500-lb level. I'd stay well under this with a smaller car. The trailer itself probably has a manufacturer rating that -- with an inspection of tire rating -- ought to give an idea.

Trailer brakes are ALWAYS a good idea. And can be fitted to anything (there are DIY harness kits for the tow vehicles + brake controllers).

Be reasonable. Vehlcle life still trumps saving a few bucks in gas.

And check the U-Haul website for your car . . if they rent a trailer for it, you're likely good to go with what you buy.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
I have been telling my brother this for so long, but this is Texas so I guess he feels like he needs a big truck to fit in or something... He just bought a Chevy 2500HD Diesel about a month ago. It gets about 18mpg on a good day. He did get a good deal on it though and it came with a hard top bed cover, but the truck bed is ALWAYS nearly empty, maybe some tools in there but not much else. I tried to convince him to get a trailer since he hardly ever needs to tow around anything and he would get twice the gas mileage in a smaller vehicle. His arguements were "you can't go offroading with a trailer", "but I want to be able to tow my dirt bikes" (as if you can't tow dirt bikes on a flat bed... easier), "a car can't tow a trailer", and the BEST "but I would need the truck bed every day" (he hasn't needed it once).
We can't deny a Silverado is cool as hell, especially with a Diesel

If it could fit my budget, I'd privately-import one, altough for me it would be useful to haul a camper and go off-roading. Working around auxiliary drive for a camping trailer would be a PITA.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Our old Nissan 240SX was truly the incredible convertible car, though it only had a sunroof. For those not familiar, it had the 2.4L Nissan truck motor, rear wheel drive and a wicked chassis that is (still) all the rage nowadays with the tuner kids for drifting.

Saturday: haul 2 yards of beauty bark. In one load, with the trailer.
Sunday: haul ass around the autocross course, beating up on the WRX, Civic, etc. and frighteningly close to the good 911 drivers. There was a highly modified Dodge Dakota racing as well. It was fast. For a pickup. Still, no contest.

Now, having had a Mazda (Ranger) pickup for several years (and the trailer), I find the only redeeming qualities of a pickup are the off-road ability and convenience for large, dirty impulse purchases at Home Depot. Oh and maybe towing a large RV.

Going back to a Focus ST now and a trailer. Life is too short not to drive fun.
UltArc (04-28-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rapturee

Sippy2 - '15 Honda NC700XD DCT
90 day: 59.51 mpg (US)

Shorty - '02 Ford F150 XL
That is too funny! I have custom built, bought and used many little trailers for many years to haul behind my little cars. I drove a little Ford Festiva for many years before finally selling it. I cut/narrowed a 1 1/4" dodge caravan hitch and fit it to the Festiva and man it worked great! I drove that silly thing. pulling a trailer to hunting camp every year and was the talk of the woods for many years! I did have trouble once with the brakes over heating one year so I ebay'd a new set of front rotors that were drilled/slotted and that cured the problem. I was always, and still am very careful of what we haul with my little cars, but the little fold up trailer from Harbor freight, or where ever are the Boss! So simple and easy to use. I have made custom beds on the side and have delivered/set them up over long distances for many years. Over the years, Folks are always shocked when I pull up to deliver their bed set in my little Festiva(00' TDI Beetle now) pulling a little trailer with all their stuff in it! People are always passing me on the freeway, waving with big smiles on their faces and taking pictures of my towing set-up! One year, I traveled 6 hours south of me to Salmon Idaho for a Muledeer hunt that I was invited to. I have my little Festiva, little trailer, Polaris 300cc ATV and all my camping gear...now that was a sight! All the other guys in the caravan of hunters all had these big, jacked up 4x4 gas hog trucks pulling huge RV's. They stopped twice for gas and I topped off once, just to see what mpg i was getting. I arrived in hunting camp that year on one 8gal tank! The hilarious part was one night when they all got together and added up their costs and wanted EVERYONE to share in the gas costs..i laughed at them when they asked me to chip in $300.00 for my share. I happily stayed in my tent and paid my own gas there and back! Needless to say, I was not invited back that following year, lol!

I love my little gas sipping cars and my little trailers! I'll dig up some pictures and post them soon for everyone to get a good laugh! :{)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HHOTDI For This Useful Post:
gone7 (05-09-2013), MobilOne (04-10-2015)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
I am going to buy one of these next week:
Utility Trailer 4'x8' - Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer
$290, so how can I go wrong? It even folds up and stores upright on caster wheels.

The reviews say to expect Chinese in a bad way but with some tinkering it is alright. I plan to pull the motorcycle up to the cabin all summer with the Matrix.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #47 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I am going to buy one of these next week:
Utility Trailer 4'x8' - Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer
$290, so how can I go wrong? It even folds up and stores upright on caster wheels.

The reviews say to expect Chinese in a bad way but with some tinkering it is alright. I plan to pull the motorcycle up to the cabin all summer with the Matrix.
Yes that is the same trailer I have. With constant rain and nastyness I would expect it to last about 6 or 7 years before rusting out. They don't fold up and store as easy as you think they would. I never tried to fold mine up. You have to pull 2 bolts up front and 4 bolts by the axle.
I only figured it out when I tore my trailer apart for the rebuild.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 08-14-2015 at 02:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
HF Trailers

I have the non-folding trailer with the 1750 lb capacity. It is still light and easy to push around by hand. With any trailer you purchase, DO NOT get the 8" tires, get the 12" tires. Fewer rotations of the wheel at speed mean much lower bearing friction and heat, making them less prone to failure. Also the tires last much longer. I've never greased the bearings but check to see that they are staying cool when hauling heavy loads or at freeway speeds. The trailer is now ugly and due for rust treating paint and another 8 years of service, at least.

Mine is now 8 years old, a little rusty but not structurally unsound. it's been garaged about 1/4 the time. I've also adapted a Load Handler (Harbor Freight now carries them!). With this, my 10 year old son can unload 1500lbs of gravel in about three minutes. Recycle an old pick-up bedliner on the bed for slick surface to ease cranking.

The Load Handler makes the guys that convert a pick-up to a dump bed scratch thier head, wondering why they spent $1500 and a weekend instead of $39.95 and five minutes. A truly great product.
gone7 (05-09-2013), HHOTDI (05-05-2013), slowmover (05-01-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thumbs down

hahaha nice thier trying to get someone killed!
that website lists my dodge dakota r/t as 8500 pounds.
my old suburban 4wd at 5000
and my old 4wd w/t pkg 4x4 chevy at 4300
if you reversed those numbers and added about 2000 more pounds to the sub it works.
the dakota may pull it but maintaining lane and stopping it in less than 1/2 mile would be a challenge if you could keep the rear bumper hitch off the ground! 8500 pounds is 3/4 ton truck zone lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
Anyone else remember the Dodge Dakota R/T buyback in the early 2000s? Dodge sold them with an inaccurate tow rating, and after a few people got into accidents while towing trailers that should have been fine to tow with the truck, Chrysler decided it would be easier to offer to buy them all back than to deal with lawsuits. So I have no doubt that today it's just a lot less hassle for manufacturers not to publish any towing specs at all, that way they have an easy way out if someone gets hurt while using their Fusion to tow a boat trailer etc.
Exactly my point! I own one I have a 16' trailer also and the only car its ever pulled was the kia because you can yank the ball from the hitch with its pull but good luck maintaining a lane or stopping it in a lane from 55 mph.
and that crazy thing rates it at 8500lbs . . . death on the hiway there!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
pickup, trailer