Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #1041 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It's a Sport-Utility Fit. Because Murrica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #1042 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've had a small flatbed trailer (that I keep 45 minutes away at my best friend's place) for several decades, and it's been great for most of the hauling needs that have faced me over the years.

Having said that, there are two reasons why I continue to consider getting a small to midsized pickup.

1. The convenience of having the utility "right now" versus having to spend time picking up and then dropping off the trailer when I need it.

2. The yearly licensing cost of the trailer has jumped significantly here in IL and my use of the trailer has decreased because it's a hassle to go get it.

I think that some people choose to go the pickup route because of the convenience of eliminating the storage headaches when you can't keep it on your own property (my issue). That said, I do acknowledge that I'm not sure I'd use a pickup often enough to justify the switch from the midsized SUV (Toyota Highlander Hybrid) that I currently drive. I actually really liked the idea of the GMC Envoy XUV with the retractable roof that was available fifteen or so years ago, but the fuel economy on that vehicle was not great so I've never tried to find one since...

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid
2010 Audi A4 AWD
Old 01-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #1043 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I don't know the IL law, but in Oregon small trailers have no licensing requirements.

Mine folds up to occupy a 2x6 foot space in my garage and takes about 2 minutes to fully attach to the car, depending on if I left the ball in the hitch or not.

The downside is it took an eternity to construct, and most people would need a hand folding it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #1044 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Assuming you don't need the full potential of a pickup (4WD + 10,000lb towing), then only if the pickup is your single all-purpose vehicle, then yes it could make sense.

But if you have to have an additional fuel mileage vehicle in addition to the pickup... then no. You're taking up the same amount of space with a trailer or a pickup and a pickup is going to cost you yearly in licencing fees as well. Except the pickup is going to need more maintenance and repairs than the trailer.

Convenience depends on what you need to haul and when. I hauled a piano just the other day on my little 4x8 trailer that I tow with my Avalon. It was very easy to load and unload by simply lowering or raising the rear so it matched the level of the porches. We were going to try to haul it in my brother's truck, but lifting a piano up 4ft off the ground to get it into the bed of the pickup would have been a nightmare. Plus my trailer's bed is made of wood which allowed us to screw down some blocks to keep the piano from rolling.

My trailer is also 4x8, which allows me to get construction materials without any problems. Again, the lower bed makes it so much more easier to load and unload.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:46 AM   #1045 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I haven't posted this in a while.

I have a Westpalia that stores on it's tail, but it's apart waiting for paint and powdercoat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-26-2021), PaleMelanesian (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #1046 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't know the IL law, but in Oregon small trailers have no licensing requirements.

Mine folds up to occupy a 2x6 foot space in my garage and takes about 2 minutes to fully attach to the car, depending on if I left the ball in the hitch or not.

The downside is it took an eternity to construct, and most people would need a hand folding it.
In IL, trailers need to be both registered and licensed, and the yearly fee shot up dramatically in the last year. It now costs almost as much, per year, for registration as I spent on the trailer to buy it! For an occasional use product, it has become excessive. On top of that, my local village has ordinances that now prohibit storing the trailer next to the house in a way that would be convenient. That's why we keep it at my friend's place, about an hour away.

If I need a "spur of the moment" hauling requirement, the trailer is often too much trouble to go get, and opportunities are sometimes lost. That is the reason why I'm entertaining the idea of replacing my midsized SUV with a four door pickup, like an Explorer Sport Trac or similar.

2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid
2010 Audi A4 AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Planecrazy For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #1047 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy View Post
It now costs almost as much, per year, for registration as I spent on the trailer to buy it! For an occasional use product, it has become excessive. On top of that, my local village has ordinances that now prohibit storing the trailer next to the house in a way that would be convenient. That's why we keep it at my friend's place, about an hour away.
What a pain in the butt! Sounds like you have a bunch of trailer haters there. Yes, if you have to keep the trailer an hour away then it's not worth it.

I hate it when places have to have so many rules and regulations about things that it almost makes it not worth the effort. Not being able to work on your own vehicle, not being able to use studded tires in areas that covered in snow and ice, not being able to insure a vehicle for it's actual worth, and now not being allowed to own a important vehicle accessory.

Sometimes I feel like giving up and just walking everywhere with my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy View Post
If I need a "spur of the moment" hauling requirement, the trailer is often too much trouble to go get, and opportunities are sometimes lost. That is the reason why I'm entertaining the idea of replacing my midsized SUV with a four door pickup, like an Explorer Sport Trac or similar.
My way of thinking is if you need a midsize SUV, an appropriate pickup would be the same thing, only more practical. You could throw a camper shell on it and it would be basically the same thing, only you could pop the camper shell off when you need the bed. Hopefully there aren't any rules and regulations there that don't allow you to temporarily store a camper shell by your home for a few hours.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #1048 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Back in 2014, when I was more productive, I created this — mainly to show off the Coanda nozzle exhaust stacks; but I included a folding [not]trailer with a swiveling wheely bar. So you could adjust your compliance per jurisdiction (stored/floating/riding).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-26-2021), redpoint5 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #1049 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I need to spend 20 minutes backing up in a parking lot with a trailer using the rearview camera. All my life I've been looking over my shoulder, and knowing how to steer comes instinctually. Using the video camera is not instinctual for me even though the process is the same.

When the sides are off my Harbor Freight trailer, often I'm unable to see it looking over my shoulder, so I have to use the backup camera. I have a somewhat dangerous technique in the truck (no backup camera) where I sit on the window sill with a toe on the brake pedal while I hang out the window to view the trailer that hides behind the truck bed.
If you're talking about the Prius I pretty much always pop the hatch up and then back up. You can see everything when you do that. So much better rear visibility than a pickup.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #1050 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Slide show of the Sport Utility Prius. Getting ready to fill up the new house with all of my crap.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_rv...ew?usp=sharing

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	29924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	29925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg