Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #61 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Cant verify gassers, but the diesel Golf does not get a computer check except for engine check light being off. I can theoretically run any tune I want as long as the tailpipe stays below soot specs. I'm stock tune because the dealer does check and tunes void the dieselgate warranty.
If that is the case that is a very old program. Usually the bare minimum is check the status AND that the OBDII system has cycled through all the checks and is "ready".

Otherwise you can just reset the check engine light in the parking lot of the smog station and pass before the computer gets through all the test cycles.

(I got REAL familiar with running the test cycle when I was fighting with the evaporative emission system in my Astro Van.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Limiting wood stoves to only pellet is odd. If you click through to the list of approved stoves and you will find EPA approved pellet, crib wood, and cord wood stoves.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodsto...tion=app.about

Attachment 31078
Your link above https://www.missoulacounty.us/govern...-installations
Shows the rule. Pellet only inside the stagnation zone, other EPA approved outside.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #63 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If that is the case that is a very old program. Usually the bare minimum is check the status AND that the OBDII system has cycled through all the checks and is "ready".

Otherwise you can just reset the check engine light in the parking lot of the smog station and pass before the computer gets through all the test cycles.

(I got REAL familiar with running the test cycle when I was fighting with the evaporative emission system in my Astro Van.
Nope, newest stuff, diesels have weird easy requirements. Just a particulate test and verify no check engine light. I've never seen the techs turn a diesel off to check the light.

My last house had a woodstove that complied with EPA, had a swirl system and a cat, but out it came when the house got sold.

I am under the impression that it took a couple of cycles to cause the computer to go into test mode, AFAIK, RESET in the parking lot causes a fail here for gassers.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 07-24-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Old 07-24-2021, 08:30 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Nope, newest stuff, diesels have weird easy requirements. Just a particulate test and verify no check engine light. I've never seen the techs turn a diesel off to check the light.
That's super interesting, and I think it's actually kind of smart. They probably figured going after NOx in diesels is a lost cause, so might as well try to just regulate PM.

I did do a smog for my gas car in Reno and it was just plug into OBDII port, check for emissions monitors, none of the "visual inspection" they do in California, and it only cost 20 dollars. The smog guy seemed to be telling me you could pass with a modified tune when I asked him.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:27 AM   #65 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
They probably figured going after NOx in diesels is a lost cause, so might as well try to just regulate PM.
Going after NOx in a Diesel is absolutely harder than on spark-ignited engines, even though it may not be a totally lost cause. But as PM and NOx emissions used to be inversely proportionate to each other, other approaches more often seen on racing such as water + methanol injection could level the field, yet the average Joe who now swears the hell out against EPA because Diesels are now much more complicated might not be willing to try any other emissions-related device after having some bad experience with DEF.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #66 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

They should pop the hood and look for odd stuff, but maybe that is the ricer racers only.

I really don't understand this anti smog controls position. Engines make significantly more hp per cube efficiently than they ever did "back in the day" . yes they are not prone to shade tree tinkering and it takes knowledge to alter them, but they do tell you what's wrong with them generally to the component.

Anybody ever try to guestimate the HP fuel pump timing in a diesel?

Particulate matter otoh, that stuff will kill you slowly.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 07-25-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Old 07-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #67 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
I really don't understand this anti smog controls position. Engines make significantly more hp per cube efficiently than they ever did "back in the day" . yes they are not prone to shade tree tinkering and it takes knowledge to alter them, but they do tell you what's wrong with them generally to the component.
I'm not unfavorable to EFI for instance, but less suppose an engine certified for agricultural machinery could be fitted to a random street-legal vehicle while its emissions in real-world driving remain within the applicable rules pertaining to the model-year. Would it be fair to prevent people from swapping an engine that could serve them better? So, smog controls have a point, but they might not be implemented the right way.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
California: "we are going to be checking obd2 tunes to improve air quality."
Meanwhile in California:

Someone posted on here that a wood stove burning for a few hours can make more soot than a gasoline car does in a year....

Last edited by oil pan 4; 07-26-2021 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #69 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'm not unfavorable to EFI for instance, but less suppose an engine certified for agricultural machinery could be fitted to a random street-legal vehicle while its emissions in real-world driving remain within the applicable rules pertaining to the model-year. Would it be fair to prevent people from swapping an engine that could serve them better? So, smog controls have a point, but they might not be implemented the right way.
My experiences with a carbed 74 euro VW squareback indicate you can't do such a swap without a big checkbook fund even if the vehicle does pass emmissions.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Type III were fuel injected from 1966. [en.wikipedia.org] so what carbs did it have Solex or Weber? My 1971 Notchback had dual 40mm Webers, but the ultimate was a single two-barrel sidedraft 44.

Original fuel injection was swapped out when the sensors became unobtainable. IIRC Type II heat sensors were available for substitution.

Reply  Post New Thread