Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
it's still a 4 cylender...I had a 2.4 liter in my altima and with tire pressure and some aero mods i would be able to squeeze out 38-39mpg at 70+mph on the freeway...

Since the car has more "performance" they can lower the gearing of the OD or they can put a 6 speed automatic and make the 6th gear pretty low while still achieving great accelaration...

33mpg is great in the city but since the car has more power since it's a hybrid the gearing should be lower..
Yeah, but all things being equal you can get better mileage with a smaller volume engine. You are totally right of course. I still am somewhat surprised that the mileage isn't a bit higher.

There are many other reasons for buying a new car, if you're earning $120,000 a year and have no free time then it probably makes economic sense to purchase a new car. You might actually end up losing money by purchasing a used car since you need to spend more time mucking about going to mechanics instead of just dropping it off at the dealer and getting a loaner car.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvatum View Post
There are many other reasons for buying a new car, if you're earning $120,000 a year and have no free time then it probably makes economic sense to purchase a new car. You might actually end up losing money by purchasing a used car since you need to spend more time mucking about going to mechanics instead of just dropping it off at the dealer and getting a loaner car.
People always say this, that their spare time is worth what they make an hour at work. I doubt many people can actually decide on the weekend, instead of fixing their car, they are going to work and make their $X/hour...

I think of it as I spent 2 hours putting front brakes on my car, I saved $150 or made $75/hour which equals $132000/year!

Also, who loses time at work taking their car in? I know my boss wouldn't let me take the afternoon off to go watch someone do the brakes weither I was being paid or not...

I think that buying a new hybrid only makes sense economically and probably environmentally, if you are going to buy a new car regardless, then it might as well be a hybrid. As people have said their older Camry's get the same mileage, cost 1/3 or less and don't create all the pollution it takes to get that shiney hybrid on the dealers lot. In my head a $30,000 car took about $20,000 in fossil fuels to be made.

Of course the new hybrid Camry is safer but I often wonder if you could far exceed a new cars safety level by upgrading your old car, or who knows, maybe just wearing a bike helmet would statistically make you as safe in your old car as in a new one.

Ian

Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
I really don't see the point in buying a new car because i don't have time to take my car to get fixed. I make time.

besides my crappy civic seats 5, 4 comfortably, has enough room for me to put a bike in there and have one of the rear seats up for a person to sit. And my last 2 tanks were 40mpg+...why do i need a hybrid?

Part of the people buying a new car is for us to impress the people that don't like us. My cousin bought a brand new TL 2 months ago. None of his friends cared. In fact the car drinks so much gas that his mom drives it to work 5 miles to her work and he only drives it on the weekend and he pays $60 for gas every week. well now $65 a week. How sad is that to be driving your mom's car to work because you can't afford to fill up your shiny new car..

Last edited by Compaq888; 05-02-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
besides my crappy civic seats 5, 4 comfortably, has enough room for me to put a bike in there and have one of the rear seats up for a person to sit. And my last 2 tanks were 40mpg+...why do i need a hybrid?
People driving the Civic Hybrids are getting 60+ mpg and some into the 70s. Plus, the environmental aspect that the Civic Hybrid is one of the the cleanest burning vehicles in the US currently ahead of the Prius.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
On the topic of safety I think Greg House summed it up best in this weeks episode of House.

"If you want people to drive slower and safer then strap a machete where the air bag is, pointed right at their throat. I'm sure everyone would slow down and drive safer then."

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
People driving the Civic Hybrids are getting 60+ mpg and some into the 70s. Plus, the environmental aspect that the Civic Hybrid is one of the the cleanest burning vehicles in the US currently ahead of the Prius.
That's the thing there is more to the equations then just MPG.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That's the thing there is more to the equations then just MPG.
this guy hit the nail on the head.

I believe I shouldn't spend 20 grand on a new car that will get better mileage when my car that gets 40+... I would be losing more in the long run if I bought a brand new civic hybrid or camry. Now if I was driving some 10mpg truck and driving a lot of miles then that would make sense.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
In his book, R.Q. Riley makes a good point: people buy with their emotions and only use reason as a supporting argument.

People buy a Prius because it makes a statement about who they are, not because they primarily want save money or help the environment.

Ask the average Prius buyer why they bought their car, and their likely to support their choice with logic..."it gets 50mpg, access to the carpool lane, is environmentally friendly."

Deep down, the truth emerges: "I bought a Prius to buy the experience of owning a 'Prius.'"

- LostCause
Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Quantum Flywheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I agree. I'd pick the Prius in a heartbeat based on those reasons, and because it's a more versatile cargo hauler (not to mention has much better fuel economy potential).

But my sis & bro-in-law bought their Camry hybrid over the Prius because it's got more airbags (and stability control?). Safety was their thing.
It sounds like they were misinformed about the Prius. Mine (an '07) has front, front side airbags, and side curtains that cover both front and rear. Stability control came with Package 2 (what I have) and up. TCH is a nice car, though. I might have considered it if not for the FE hit and how much I hated not having a wagon-like car for the previous four years.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Being misinformed is entirely possible. Do you know if they score equally in crash tests too?

I didn't get a chance to grill my bro-in-law about the car's mileage this week, but they're dropping in tomorrow, so I'll try to remember.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread