Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2020, 05:22 AM   #201 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I finally set up my desktop in my room and my new router. The last one was giving me problems.

I had one of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" days. I was planning on working on a few projects when some guys from Church brought over two boxes of Thanksgiving food. I hesitated because we had a refrigerator full of food for Thanksgiving, so not only did I not know when we would eat it, but I didn't know where to put it!

However, I figured that we could find someone that needed it, so I thanked them sincerely.

Have I mentioned that Mom is morally opposed to dishracks?

If you didn't know her you would think she is crazy!

When she washes dishes by hand she leaves them on the counter. Once they are dry, she leaves them until she uses them again. Once in a while I will put them away and clean the counter, but usually only when I need to make room for all of her dirty dishes, once I have cleaned them.

I had my brother help me put away dishes, I cleaned a bunch more, and then I had my brother help me clean the table.

Mind you, I didn't wash all of the dishes, nor did I completely clean the table.

I didn't have the time!

Then I shut down my desktop, moved it into my room, moved the computer desk out back, and had my brother help me bring in the pantry cabinet that took me months to get.

He dropped it again!

I wasn't impressed by the amount of packaging material inside of the box, but there was another box, and it looked perfect!

My brother helped me open the boxes and remove the pieces. They were fully intact!

Mom was upset when she saw the cabinet. She said that she wanted more stainless steel shelves, which is weird, because she complained each time that I installed a set. They look nice though, and this doesn't.

It is just a plain white box and it holds bread and boxes of cereal as well as anything, but I am only putting heavy stuff on the bottom!

I don't know what would make it look better. Trim? Woodgrain? Maybe I could make it match the cabinets, but then you open the door, and all that you see is particle board.

Mom pointed out that I would have assembled metal shelves far faster. They would have been cheaper, too, but I felt that we already had too much open storage. What is the point of moving food from the floor and counter onto some open shelves? You would still be able to see it!

I put the ham in an ice chest and the rest of the boxes, everything that you need for a nice turkey dinner, went in the pantry, with all of the stuff that Mom had on the floor.

I also organized a corner of my bedroom, mostly by moving things into another corner, on top of everything already there, but I threw out and recycled a bunch of stuff, I found room for some of Dad's stuff on his old bookcases, and I realized that the metal filing cabinet was empty!

I can store stuff in there!

Since I still haven't made my loft bed rock solid, let alone built a desk, I put the 2-drawer filing cabinet in front of my bed, and put a shelf on it. For some reason Dad nailed trim around it; I have it facedown, so the shelf cannot slide off of the filing cabinet.

My television barely fits on top, although I should slide the cabinet forward, and center it under the shelf and television.

All of this is in front of the treadmill, which is piled high with stuff. Eventually I need to move the television somewhere safe, go through all of that stuff, disassemble the treadmill, and get rid of it!

My laptop has been freezing and that has been inconvenient with work. I haven't logged into World of Warcraft in a few days. I wanted to finish what I was doing in my browser, close it, and load WoW, but I never finished, and I did not want to try playing my game while my browser was running.

Some big expansion pack released on Wednesday--I think.

Tuesday?

This is what the cool kids do when a new expansion comes out:
  1. Level a character to the new maximum level.
  2. Gather every ore and herb node that you can find.
  3. Post the ore and herbs for ridiculous prices on the auction house.
  4. Make vast tracts of gold off of players with too much gold and laziness.
  5. Repeat with other characters or start running dungeons and getting ready for the first raid.
My phone recommended an article that compared the new expansion pack to alegebra homework.

I would rather do algebra! In fact, I am pretty sure that I did some tonight!

A first-year SLP makes x dollars. How many years would a teacher with a Master's need to work in order to make as much?

At least 14!

It sounds like there are three or four new systems that you need to figure out and players think that it is too complicated, but people tend to be lazy. However, it took months to understand everything in the last major patch.

At least I think that it was everything!

I love figuring out stuff, but this is the eighth expansion pack, all of this will reset in two years, if not before, and I really have too much going on!

The timing is awesome. I made a million gold during the first 12-18 months of this expansion just selling stuff that I had picked up adventuring. However, in the couple of months since I only sold another 70k, although I spent less and less time trying to sell stuff that didn't seem to be popular.

However, I learned that people were buying crafted gear.

I probably made several hundred thousand gold in two months. I usually logged in, collected my canceled auctions, reposted them, and crafted more stuff as necessary. I could log in a couple of times a day for a couple of minutes each, and I made 25-30k many days.

That was the easy part. The hard part involved buying 150k worth of cloth, but I stopped selling as much stuff, and then I didn't feel that I had the time to log in, so I still have all of that.

Maybe I could still get my gold back, but mostly I am concerned with canceling before I get billed again.

Since my laptop keeps freezing I have been trying to look at other Black Friday sales. 8 gigabytes should be plenty when I am not even playing my game, although I have wondered if it keeps running low, and then taxing the CPU shuffling everything around.

When I watch the task manager everything is allegedly under control, so I don't know what to do about it, except return this, and buy a nicer one.

I mentioned wanting a chromebook so I could maintain contact with single female Internet weirdos easier, since the popular apps are mobile-only, I cannot use them from the web, or download anything for Windows.

Target has an HP chromebook for $120 and I would have ordered it had it been as easy as it should have been, but I realized that, while it would have the larger screen and full keyboard that I wanted, it was drastically lower resolution than my phone, and probably slower.

Do you know what is faster than my phone and has a larger screen?

The Samsung Galaxy S20. Costco has it on sale for $350. My phone works fine, but I am sure this would have a number of advantages, and then I can get a USB-C to HDMI adapter, plug it into my 4k television, and use my bluetooth keyboad without needing to also hold the phone!

I also thought that they had a good Black Friday laptop deal, so I renewed my membership, and couldn't figure out how to buy the phone.

It is in-person only!

I am not driving 4 hours and fighting Black Friday Costco crowds for a phone that I don't need during a global pandemic!

Well, what kind of Black Friday deals does Costco have? $300 i5s?

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Touchscreen Laptop - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 - 1080p for $580
No SSD?!

Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop - 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 - 1080p for $600
I am 0 for 2 with Lenovos and I don't want a smaller screen than my $300 laptop.

New Microsoft Surface Pro 7 Bundle - 10th Gen Intel Core i5 - 2736 x 1824 Display - Windows 10 - Platinum
This one is interesting. It does stuff that none of my computers have ever done, but I have never wanted a Windows tablet, and I try to avoid touchscreens. It has the same amount of RAM, but half the SSD, and a significantly higher-resolution screen, while only being 12.3".
Then it says "Renew Membership for Price."
Funny. I have a receipt in my e-mail and I was able to see prices earlier!
Funnier. The price is in the ad! It is $800!

New Microsoft Surface Pro 7 Bundle - 10th Gen Intel Core i7 - 2736 x 1824 Display - Windows 10 - Black
Twice the RAM and SSD, with an i7? It still doesn't show the price and I wouldn't look it up, but it is still in the ad!
$1,250!

Does it come with a free car?!

They have another set of sales:
Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1
That looks like mine, but $100 more, with 50% more RAM, but a 1TB HD instead of an SSD.
Oddly, it allegedly doesn't have a full HD screen!

LG gram 14" 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop - 10th Gen Intel Core i7 - 1080p
LG's answer to the Surface. I am not comparing it. $1,150.

MSI GE75 Raider Gaming Laptop - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H - GeForce RTX 2070 - 1080p
I don't play WoW anymore and I am not paying $1,200. There are 3 reviews, one giving it 4 stars for playing Call of Duty well, one giving 1 star and ranting about the keyboard not lighting all of the keys, having an ugly font, and using lowercase.
The other person gave one star for having an ugly screen.
I like the screens on 2 $300 laptops. Do you know what? My old $300 laptop has a decent screen!

Gamers are spoiled babies!

New Dell XPS 13 Touchscreen Intel Evo Platform Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 - UHD+
A $1,600 13" laptop with a 3,840x2,400 screen.

Why?!

The regular weekly ad shows a $500 version of my laptop, i5, 12GB RAM, and still the 1TB HD.

It still isn't FHD.

I keep opening new browser windows and zooming into everything 200%. I would just reduce the resolution, but this is temporary, and I do not want to reset everything when I have a desk again.

It is 0320! I have a client at 9!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #202 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Do you touch-type that or use speech-to-text? At 02:22 AM?

What do you think about Apple's M1 system-on-a-chip? The Mini is $700. It has machine learning.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #203 (permalink)
Not Doug

Hey! When did I hit 10k posts?!

I don't use my phone if I can help it, but when I do, I use Swype.

I only do voice-to-text while I am driving and then I check it at my next stop.

How would that M1 do against a tank?

Mom's friend is back in the hospital. They think that it is the last time.

Some guy on Imgur shared Gary Larsen's Thanksgiving-themed comics and there were only a couple of comments, each saying that Larsen doesn't like his stuff being shared, and the poster didn't even link the website.

Someone linked the website and added that each comic was taken directly from the main page.

Several jerks replied and have more fake Internet points than the commenter. The poster replied "That's why I link the website!"

No he didn't!

Why did people upvote him?!

https://www.thefarside.com/
Old 11-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #204 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I had to look up Swype. DDG is confusing, Wikipedia and Swype's own page are past tense, but Living Language appears to be.... alive?

Is that an Abrams joke?

Since it's Thanksgiving and it's The Lounge here's a list of news aggregators I gave to a friend yesterday to get him through a three-day weekend, for which he thanked me.

thedonald.win
rantingly.com
knewz.com
newsammo.com

Not hyperlinked as an experiment but they are findable. thedonald has an amazing origin story and is currently listed by Alexa as in the top 500 websites in the USofA.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #205 (permalink)
Not Doug

The first time I saw someone use Swype I asked them to explain.

That was back when my phone had a physical keyboard, so I was probably faster.

That crazy friend that drove her 1990 Civic into the ground and the back of a truck said "I don't need a physical keyboard I have Swype!" and she tried to show me how great it was, but she wasn't great at it. I asked to see it and wrote my first sentence perfectly.

Not every sentence has been perfect since...

Staples has a 17.3" HP for $350. It has the same processor and RAM, only a 128GB SSD, but a 1TB HD.
My laptop for $400
15.6" HP, i5, 8GB, 1TB HD with 16GB Optane for $500.
Target has a 15.6" HP with an i5, Nvidia graphics, and backlit keyboard for $550.

Last edited by Xist; 11-27-2020 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: My $300 laptop froze. I couldn't finish my post, but I could submit.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #206 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

But what was the truck doing in the ground.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:58 AM   #207 (permalink)
Not Doug

My laptop froze while I was writing that. It seemed like it was just my browser. I closed everything else, but couldn't save my tabs, or close any.

However, I could submit.

Staples has an i5 version of that 17.3" HP i5 for $430.
i5 Lenovo with 512GB SSD for $500.
17.3" Lenovo i7
17.3" HP i7. It mentions an NVMe SSD, but I don't know whether the previous ones had it. However, it does mention having 1,600 x 900 graphics.

I swear that Target had many more deals, but maybe they sold out.

HP sells a 15.6" i5 with 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, and Nvidia graphics for $600. It looks like the Target one with twice the memory.

I felt that I was out of sales and out of ideas, but this list had this laptop, which is bizarre, because I had already looked at Best Buy!

It looks like the AMD version of the Target laptop. I think that we have discussed that Intel computers often have on-board graphics, while AMD ones have discrete video cards. Sure, that is another point of failure, which may have been the problem with my gaming laptop, but it seems like since the Intel version has Nvidia graphics, the AMD version has better graphics.

The AMD laptop at Best Buy is $100 less!

Since I don't play games, would that make Gimp faster?
Old 11-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #208 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
I went on a used computer kick maybe a year ago...scored myself a 3rd gen i7 PC for $100, a 4th gen i5 PC with a SSD for a buddy for $140, a 5th gen i5, 16gb laptop for a guy at work for $200 and a 7th gen i5 for my wife for $200 as well. All within about a month, and all in Canadian pesos...I enjoyed getting good deals.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #209 (permalink)
Not Doug

I missed some deals yesterday, but my back revolted, and I hardly cared about computing. Right now it looks like the best two options are the HP Ryzen 5 with nice graphics that I mentioned above, although I neglected to say that it is $450. The other is an Asus i7 that otherwise has the same specification for $520.

According to userbenchmark.com the Ryzen 5 is newer and faster than the i7!

The good deal is no longer available, but Best Buy doesn't say so until you scroll down.

Once again I am doomed
Old 11-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #210 (permalink)
Not Doug

Boys! Girls! You can buy an i7 for $350! :D

First red flag: It is being sold by Walmart. Mom is always talking about the same company selling quality products and cheap ones, depending on where you buy them, so never buy from Walmart!

Second: It is an Evoo. I have heard the name, but I have never known anyone that bought one.

Third: It is a sixth-generation i7 from 2016!

My $300 Lenovo has a faster i3!

https://slickdeals.net/f/14637340-ev...e-black-laptop

Also, whenever someone shares a Lenovo deal people talk about how unreliable they are.

One is an anomaly, two are a pattern?

The thing is, my Legion slowly became unreliable. My Ideapad started freezing pretty quickly.

Is the [more expensive] Legion faster and more capable, but the Ideapad is overwhelmed vastly easier?

Some people kept saying that nobody should sell computers with only 8 gigabytes. I thought that it would be fine if I used it lighter than my Legion with 16, but who knows?

By the way, I used Mom's $316 laptop [now $365] for a few days and it held up fine with 4 GB.