Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you for all the replies.
I think my question has been answered, by the history-of-toyota information especially. Just not a good year - heavy car, inefficient drivetrain (a 5 speed would have been better, but again, I didn't pick this car out, it sort of fell into my lap).

To address other issues raised - my commute is part city, part interstate. I have to sit at lights for a few minutes on either end, and on the return trip have some traffic. New Jersey is a densely populated area (my part of it anyway) so there isn't always much you can do. Shutting the car off when possible doesn't make much difference, neither does driving with the terrain. On a strictly highway trip, I'm lucky to hit 28 mpg.
I know how to drive for efficiency - I drive a tractor trailer for a living, and in an industry that averages 5 -6 mpg, I'm proud to get 7.5 - 8. Different kind of driving, but some of the same principles apply.

The '99 Camry isn't that big. About the size of what a Corolla is now. I know by global standards it's bigger than we think it is here in America, but still if you get a measuring tape out it's not that much bigger than a compact. The Camry that's out now is definitely larger. Toyotas have gotten larger generally - the '91 corolla I had was practically a golf cart, and like I said, somehow burnt fuel like a much larger car (was also, unfortunately, an automatic). The Crown Victoria shown above, now that is a big car - and gets almost the same mileage I'm getting!

Selling the car would mean buying a new one - the savings in gas would take awhile to recoup the purchase price of the new one. Besides, someone else would be driving this one, probably getting worse fuel mileage than I do. Junking it would mean a new car would have to be manufactured, which is worse for the environment than keeping an older one running for it's maximum lifespan.

Thanks for the info, looking forward to doing more reading on here. I'll squeeze a few more tablespoons of gas out of this thing somehow

Last edited by DapperDan; 02-22-2018 at 09:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperDan For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-23-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Well I feel a lot better about mrs. spif’s 2005 Subaru Legacy. At least her 21mpg comes with 250hp, AWD and a turbo. Though, I’m sure the Camry is much more spacious...

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
The '99 Camry isn't that big. About the size of what a Corolla is now. I know by global standards it's bigger than we think it is here in America, but still if you get a measuring tape out it's not that much bigger than a compact. The Camry that's out now is definitely larger. Toyotas have gotten larger generally - the '91 corolla I had was practically a golf cart, and like I said, somehow burnt fuel like a much larger car (was also, unfortunately, an automatic). The Crown Victoria shown above, now that is a big car - and gets almost the same mileage I'm getting!

Selling the car would mean buying a new one - the savings in gas would take awhile to recoup the purchase price of the new one. Besides, someone else would be driving this one, probably getting worse fuel mileage than I do. Junking it would mean a new car would have to be manufactured, which is worse for the environment than keeping an older one running for it's maximum lifespan
Sure newer generations of most cars, not only Toyotas, grew quite considerably. OTOH the improvements in engine management systems and automatic transmissions overcome some of its side-effects. Well, in the end it sounds like picking engine and transmission out of a totaled newer Camry (or even a Corolla) and retrofit into the old beater is still more "sustainable" than getting a brand-new replacement car.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I must admit, i am really envious with your abilities to do transmission and engine swaps.

Over here they are not available, and absolutely no one can perform the task in their own home due to lack of space - tools - skill and interest.

Even if one did, the bureaucracy would be prohibitive.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
A 1.4 diesel from a corolla would be awesome in a camry body.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
I must admit, i am really envious with your abilities to do transmission and engine swaps.

Over here they are not available, and absolutely no one can perform the task in their own home due to lack of space - tools - skill and interest.

Even if one did, the bureaucracy would be prohibitive.
In the USA engine swaps are illegal on any vehicle made in the last 40 years or so but it is not enforced by the federal government. Instead enforcement is at the state level and the rules vary. Where I live vehicles are inspected every 2 years so I would have to swap the original engine back in to pass inspection. (Some people actually do this!)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Oh dear, so it is the same as over here,

If i could, i would swap the engine every 2 years and build something like one of vekkes creations.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
If i could, i would swap the engine every 2 years and build something like one of vekkes creations.
IIRC he's an engineer, which entitles him to overcome some of the bureaucracy.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
IIRC he's an engineer, which entitles him to overcome some of the bureaucracy.
How does one's occupation allow them to get around emissions testing?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Bureaucracy is a pain in the arse irrespective of age, gender, ethnicity and occupation.

To be able to do modifications you need a project drawn and approoved by an engineer. So in theory yes, it would be easier for me.

However, the project is complete bs. I.e more documentation and bureaucracy. To be able to sign the project you need to get extra documents, which involves more bureaucracy. And i think there is also an annual fee.

Last edited by teoman; 02-26-2018 at 01:01 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread