Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
The civic is lugging.

Mmk, now, this is an extremely weird problem that I will try to describe the best I can.

When driving, even at a normal load (although it seems to do it more when accelerating) the engine will like, lug and bog down, the RPM's don't change, it just kinda sounds weird and jerks. I'm new to driving a stick but I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with me being new to driving a stick. It almost feels like L/B is kicking in but I don't see that the problem as the O2 sensor isn't dipping to 0.000 and on top of that, it does it sometimes when I'm at a constant load.

1. No, it does not do it while idling, it doesn't die if you rev the engine (red line it) and drop off the throttle at idle.

2. For those of you that know about this problem, yes it's still leaking oil. I'm thinking maybe I'm losing oil pressure? Could this cause it?

3. I have no idea when the last time the spark plugs/wires and oil was changed, along with the fuel filter. Could this cause it?

4. Oh I forgot to mention, no CEL.

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 07-03-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Even with no CEL, it sounds like a misfire to me. Have you checked the plugs in it?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
How many miles on the idle air control valve?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
you have a misfire, one that is load dependant, so i would start looking at the ignition system first, though a plugged fuel filter could contribute as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
3. I have no idea when the last time the spark plugs/wires and oil was changed, along with the fuel filter. Could this cause it?
plugs/wires would be a good place to start. how short of a period of time have you had it to where you don't know how long it has been run on its current oil?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
That sounds like lean burn kicking in, or trying to kick in. I've had my HX trying to kick in with no change in the 2nd o2 reading. I got a new o2 sensor, the wide band one and it no longer does it. Around $100 on ebay but it's a gamble.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Even with no CEL, it sounds like a misfire to me. Have you checked the plugs in it?
Nah I haven't bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainoil View Post
How many miles on the idle air control valve?
Probably 198k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
you have a misfire, one that is load dependant, so i would start looking at the ignition system first, though a plugged fuel filter could contribute as well.

plugs/wires would be a good place to start. how short of a period of time have you had it to where you don't know how long it has been run on its current oil?
Well the previous owner had it from 192k miles to 198k miles and he didn't change the oil. And he said the previous owner before him didn't say anything about changing it, so I'm going to assume 6k+ miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
That sounds like lean burn kicking in, or trying to kick in. I've had my HX trying to kick in with no change in the 2nd o2 reading. I got a new o2 sensor, the wide band one and it no longer does it. Around $100 on ebay but it's a gamble.
In every report I have seen of the o2 sensor going out, you get some TB's thrown, no check engine light, but still TB's that point to a bad or going bad o2 sensor and in this case, I'm not getting any TB's.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Well the previous owner had it from 192k miles to 198k miles and he didn't change the oil. And he said the previous owner before him didn't say anything about changing it, so I'm going to assume 6k+ miles.
this is a pretty effective way of turning an engine into soup cans.

changeitchangeitchangeitchangeitchangeitchangeit.

some engines/oils don't mind 6K+ miles, but it could also be 16K miles..... or 26K.... i've seen some REALLY stupid things happen all in the name to save a dollar.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
this is a pretty effective way of turning an engine into soup cans.

changeitchangeitchangeitchangeitchangeitchangeit.

some engines/oils don't mind 6K+ miles, but it could also be 16K miles..... or 26K.... i've seen some REALLY stupid things happen all in the name to save a dollar.
Like my dad who went 21k on his oil change just recently? Everytime I told him to change it, he would give me the 'no time' excuse. So I just unplugged his oil drain plug last thursday and drained all the oil out of the car to force him to change it :P.

Anyway, yea I'm gonna change it, but I don't have the money to do so. I'm gonna have to wait for me to get paid next week. With that being said, it does still have that oil leak so fresh oil has been continuously added for who knows how long.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

if it has gone this long, another week won't be the difference between an immediate demise and a million mile life.... but $20 and 30 minutes every 5,000-7,500 miles(i'm guessing what a normal interval for your car might be, follow your manual/community knowledge) is a drop in the bucket compared to the time and money spent swapping an engine only to potentially do it again if a swapped engine led a neglected life as well.

new oil helps, but an ancient filter doesn't. if i had something that leaked/burned more than a quart every 1,000 miles, i don't think i would change the oil often, but the filter would certainly be getting attention.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
if it has gone this long, another week won't be the difference between an immediate demise and a million mile life.... but $20 and 30 minutes every 5,000-7,500 miles(i'm guessing what a normal interval for your car might be, follow your manual/community knowledge) is a drop in the bucket compared to the time and money spent swapping an engine only to potentially do it again if a swapped engine led a neglected life as well.

new oil helps, but an ancient filter doesn't. if i had something that leaked/burned more than a quart every 1,000 miles, i don't think i would change the oil often, but the filter would certainly be getting attention.
Yea, I'm not driving it right now due to the fact I don't want to drive it on the old oil and spark plugs. I just noticed the lugging when I took it to the mechanic to get the oil leak looked at, and then last night around town to check out the L/B with UG. Tbh it rarely ever does it, but it does do it once in a while.

[Edit]: While we are on the subject of spark plugs and wires, what would you guys recommend for best economy? I was told Iridium spark plugs and NGK wires are the best bet for that sort of thing, but I would like some more input.

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 07-03-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread