Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #111 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
RustyLugNut — Insofar as manufacturing, first things aren't different, then they are.

Shining a laser on the undersurface of a vat of liquid enabled a 100x increase in print speeds. Large scale manufacturing facilities are laid out like a capacitor, with a materials side and a product side with printers en banque as electrolyte. Bad analogy.

Do you use CNC? I respect tools from Yankee Workshop hand-powered wood-working, to AvE's Youtube channel about fabri-cobbling on an old Bridgeport, to the make's $350 4x8ft CNC router. It will never be like Star Trek everywhere. Oh yeah, there will be flint knapping demos at the Oregon Country Fair again this year. There are more people knapping flint tools today than there were in antiquity. Because more people.

The Sun. Who knows what it is, other than the 900-pound gorilla in our little room. The competing theory is Electric Universe. It's like this, only turned up to 11:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_globe

The mothership
www.thunderbolts.info/

This one is dismissive but informative. They claim lack of mathematical rigor, but ignore the predictive power:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...lace-thornhill

Links, social media, videos , gifts and presents:
Thunderbolts.info Electric Universe theory (EU theory) website

Fissile material: https://www.google.com/search?q=fissile+vs+fissionable

What's the d@mned rush? In a small fraction of that 1000 years we can engineer means of ameliorating the long tail of guardianship necessary after the energy has been used for any and all purposes. People run around like a headless chicken.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 AM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
RustyLugNut — Insofar as manufacturing, first things aren't different, then they are.

Shining a laser on the undersurface of a vat of liquid enabled a 100x increase in print speeds. Large scale manufacturing facilities are laid out like a capacitor, with a materials side and a product side with printers en banque as electrolyte. Bad analogy.

Do you use CNC? I respect tools from Yankee Workshop hand-powered wood-working, to AvE's Youtube channel about fabri-cobbling on an old Bridgeport, to the make's $350 4x8ft CNC router. It will never be like Star Trek everywhere. Oh yeah, there will be flint knapping demos at the Oregon Country Fair again this year. There are more people knapping flint tools today than there were in antiquity. Because more people.

The Sun. Who knows what it is, other than the 900-pound gorilla in our little room. The competing theory is Electric Universe. It's like this, only turned up to 11:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_globe

The mothership
www.thunderbolts.info/

This one is dismissive but informative. They claim lack of mathematical rigor, but ignore the predictive power:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...lace-thornhill

Links, social media, videos , gifts and presents:
Thunderbolts.info Electric Universe theory (EU theory) website

Fissile material: https://www.google.com/search?q=fissile+vs+fissionable

What's the d@mned rush? In a small fraction of that 1000 years we can engineer means of ameliorating the long tail of guardianship necessary after the energy has been used for any and all purposes. People run around like a headless chicken.
My second degree is in Industrial Engineering. But I grew up on a Pacific Island where some of the tribes people still used stone edged tools. I have little interest to return to such a lifestyle even if people here in the west have romanticized being primitive as the preferred life to live. I'd rather not deal with the scarcity of healthy food and water, no electricity and siblings passing soon after birth. I'll deal with the problems of nuclear power and climate change - thank you.

And yes , I have several CNC tools as one would suspect. I have used SLA printers going decades back and the technique you mentioned about shining a laser on the underside of the vat to gain a hundred fold increase in print speed is incorrect. They are using a high resolution projector to project each layer. And I still have the hand plane and hammer inherited from my grandfather. They still work. Unlike your fabled 3D printing factory.

And the emissions of the sun are exactly as those from the thermo-nuclear blasts in the south pacific A-bomb tests of the 50's. I am pretty sure the sun runs on thermo - nuclear fusion reactions as it's main motivator.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 AM   #113 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I had quoted and responded to four different posts when a virus called Win10 shut down Mom's computer.

97%?

Biogas is replacing coal? https://www.theguardian.com/environm...n-maize-biogas

You want warmer weather? Why don't you build fan farms along the Arizona\New Mexico border and import our summer?

People with pointy sticks are coming for my back yard? I am more concerned with all of the blisters they will get!

Oh wait: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11575.html

http://www.economist.com/news/briefi...me-renaissance

Some say China is producing so many solar panels because they are profitable.

This states that following the Paris Agreement until 2100 would cost $100 trillion, and reduce global temperatures by 0.3°:

He absolutely does not advocate for polluting as much as possible, but says current technologies will not make a difference, and we need to invest in R&D, like Bill Gate's Breakthrough Coalition.

I like to tell people I am smarter than many people. “Many” can still be a minority, right? I do not know the difference between fusion and fission.

Or mitosis and meiosis. Which one is the fun one, again?

Actually, fusion and fission would seem somewhat self-explanatory, but I am going to turn off filters and look up mitosis and meiosis.

This is the first climate change discussion I have seen without mentioning Bill Nye. I am not very familiar with this site, but they cite sources and do not rant. I like that. Please excuse when it gets specifically political: 9 Reasons You Shouldn't Listen To Bill Nye About Science | Daily Wire

I have been trying to find information regarding the professor’s claim the computer models have been inaccurate. Nye just yelled that was cherry picking. The people I expect to say they are accurate say they are accurate. The people I expect to say they are inaccurate say they are inaccurate. People still justify adjusting climate data. I found this graph, but can find absolutely no information on it: http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/...Comparison.png

I am not sure I have ever watched a video where I felt anyone destroyed anyone else. This is honestly a video where you will cheer on your team as hard as before, but Bill Nye never answered the accuracy of the computer models.

Nye refers to “engineers concerned about climate change.” I guess that is him. Mr. Bean has more credentials than he does.

Still more qualified than Scott Adams, who has an MBA, but he just argues that both sides are doing it wrong: Scott Adams Explains Pivot To Climate Change:

This supports what Happer said about increased CO2 increasing plant life, but only as long as there is enough water, nutrients, etc: Rise in CO2 has 'greened Planet Earth' - BBC News

There will be another “Inconvenient Truth,” but even a sympathetic judge found some points to be egregious: Al Gore Is Back With A Sequel To 'An Inconvenient Truth.' Here Were The 9 Biggest Lies From That Film. | Daily Wire

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (06-12-2017), RustyLugNut (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #114 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
... if you ignore all the previous climate predictions besides "it's getting warmer" which have been wrong.
Right.
Like 2014:
https://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/janu...-modern-record

And then 2015:
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...atures-in-2015

And 2016, too:
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ecord-globally

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #115 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
So it's getting warmer good.
I would actually be worried if it were getting colder.
Trust me you don't want to live through the coldest year on record, because you might not make it.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #116 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
This is a video series by a science reporter, that debunks the myths surrounding climate change:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (06-12-2017), sendler (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut
I rest my case.
Good, lets agree the tool-waving contest is pointless.

On the Sun, though, I'm not so sure. Is it gas or metal? Why do astrophysicists accept magnetism but reject electric currents?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The use of tools is what separates humanity from the rest of the creatures about us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Good, lets agree the tool-waving contest is pointless.

On the Sun, though, I'm not so sure. Is it gas or metal? Why do astrophysicists accept magnetism but reject electric currents?
This is not a pointless point.

Because I can use my tools ( science and technology ) I can manipulate my environment. Humans are now able to change the whole of the planet in measurable ways. It means responsibility is needed.

The technology we are using to communicate on this forum ( internet ) is a powerful one that allows us to exchange ideas over a wide range. One has to be careful because the ease of information exchange results in a large amount of the information being bogus unlike the vetting process that naturally occurred during the print years. However, the speed and immediacy of idea exchange is powerful. It allows us to move and shape ideas with far more rapidity than in times past. Now we just have to take ideas and turn it into action. That action may take time. Lots of time, as evidenced by this discussion on climate change. The internet age needs to be run in parallel with the simpler age of the hand-worker where patience was a virtue.

Global warming will need the tools of a modern age with the patience of the flintknapper.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Because of hollywood movies people think fusion reactors blow up too.
What do you mean, "too"? Fission reactors may get damaged in earthquakes, or they may even catch fire and melt due to bad design and really stupid operators, but they don't blow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut
...some of the tribes people still used stone edged tools. I have little interest to return to such a lifestyle...
There are people in the western world who use stone-edged tools. They're called surgeons: How obsidian Stone Age knives still cut it in surgery - CNN.com

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #120 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
This is the first climate change discussion I have seen without mentioning Bill Nye. I am not very familiar with this site, but they cite sources and do not rant. I like that. Please excuse when it gets specifically political: 9 Reasons You Shouldn't Listen To Bill Nye About Science | Daily Wire

I have been trying to find information regarding the professor’s claim the computer models have been inaccurate. Nye just yelled that was cherry picking. The people I expect to say they are accurate say they are accurate. The people I expect to say they are inaccurate say they are inaccurate. People still justify adjusting climate data. I found this graph, but can find absolutely no information on it: http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/...Comparison.png

I am not sure I have ever watched a video where I felt anyone destroyed anyone else. This is honestly a video where you will cheer on your team as hard as before, but Bill Nye never answered the accuracy of the computer models.

Nye refers to “engineers concerned about climate change.” I guess that is him. Mr. Bean has more credentials than he does.
I'm still a fan of Bill Nye, despite strong disagreement with some of his political positions. I'm impressed that he is willing to change his position on a subject, even if it's going to alienate some of his political base. He was anti-GMO for years before changing his position.

It is a logical fallacy to validate/invalidate someone's argument based on their assumed authority on the subject (or lack thereof). It's called the "Appeal to Authority Fallacy". If I assert that the world is spherically shaped, the truth of that statement has nothing to do with my formal education. The earth either is, or is not spherically shaped regardless of my authority on the subject. Besides, Bill's degree is in mechanical engineering, which is a science degree.

I have full confidence that Bill grasps science concepts better than the most people, despite being a bit of sci-fi dreamer and political activist.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam