Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #1181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Surprise surprise... water levels don't always rise, or rise uniformly.

And adjustments do have to be made, because the land itself either rises or sinks.

Scientists do note areas where the sea level is going down, either due to the variability caused by heat distribution:

https://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/news...-coastal-areas

Or due to land masses rebounding after glacial melt:

SitNews: Melting glaciers boost sea level; however, sea levels will actually drop in Alaska By MOLLY RETTIG

Also, yes, there is debate. And fighting:

Tides Gauge vs. Altimetry
(That was an interesting read)
Another effect that is a big part of sea level - is the gravitational pull of land ice.

When the Greenland ice melts, the sea level around it will drop, because the gravitational pull of the ice is shifted to the sea. Same for Antarctic ice.

Antarctic ice is about 2.5 MILES thick, and it is pushing the land under it DOWN a bit less than 1/2 MILE. The sea level around Antarctica is pulled up a lot.

The bulge of sea level around the equator, that results from the earth spinning on its axis (making the shape of the earth into an oblate spheroid) - is shifted southward by the gravitational pull of the Antarctic ice. A LOT.

Since we measure elevation of mountains above sea level - AND since sea level is NOT consistent (i.e. not "level"), there is a mountain in Ecuador called Mount Chimborazo THAT IS TALLER THAN Mount EVEREST, relative to the center of the earth / space.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=9428163

Science is complicated, and checkable. Without science, we would not be discussing this on the Internet.

We have GRACE satellites - that measure elevation and gravity <i>very</i> precisely. They can measure the elevation change due to pumping of ground water in the California drought.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
niky (03-22-2018), redpoint5 (03-22-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #1182 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
If we had a meat alternative, really tasty and with good texture, we would solve a lot of the cow fart (methane) that also induce global warming.

Vegetarian steak has been created from LENTILS at Dutch University | Daily Mail Online

Easier than try capture the gases :

Um, when cows eat grass, they don't have ANY net effect on the climate, or greenhouse gases.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 03-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #1183 (permalink)
Banned

Women are taking america :

But men is always the vilain... at least it's what third wave feminsm always tells.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-22-2018 at 06:01 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #1184 (permalink)
Banned

For CO2 perhaps, but for methane... I don't think so.

And forests are take down to open space to cows. ALso they farm a lot of graim for some kind of cows systems. Water its another issue.

It's just a matter of time to sceince create a fake meat that tastes better, feel better as texture, and get better for health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Um, when cows eat grass, they don't have ANY net effect on the climate, or greenhouse gases.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-23-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #1185 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Interesting video on the decline of men, though not very relevant to the global warming topic except in the very abstract way that population growth is decreasing, and I expect the slowing growth to accelerate as men find other ways to channel their masculine desires.

I expect there will be the opposite problem of too few children in the next hundred years or so. Globalization will continue to bring up the standard of living for all people, and as this happens, birthrates will decline. Perhaps this will be good in the short term, but not so great in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
It's just a matter of time to sceince xcreate a fake gmeat that tastes better, feel better as texture, and get better for heasth.
I look forward to cheap, delicious, animal-free meat. Hopefully science will get there. Until then, I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-23-2018, 02:18 AM   #1186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Women have taken America. Tucker Carlson recites the dry statistics. Carl Benjamin casts an observant eye on the result: [umm, Not Safe For Work language, I guess]

Black Pigeon Speaks take a more bird's-eye view... and delivers a black, black pill:

edit: The verge ran an article on climate and it's denial:

Chevron’s lawyer, speaking for major oil companies, says climate change is real and it’s your fault
In a court hearing in San Francisco, oil companies publicly backed the science of climate change

They just pumped it out of the ground, they didn't know what we were doing with it!

Last edited by freebeard; 03-23-2018 at 03:16 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #1187 (permalink)
Banned

What was the movie I once saw... ? ...where a virus killed 99% or more of men and women took the world, lived as lesbians, had kids using genetic tools...

We need to choose. A society with a lot of old people or a society with many youth people and a lot of death rates by deceases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Interesting video on the decline of men, though not very relevant to the global warming topic except in the very abstract way that population growth is decreasing, and I expect the slowing growth to accelerate as men find other ways to channel their masculine desires.

I expect there will be the opposite problem of too few children in the next hundred years or so. Globalization will continue to bring up the standard of living for all people, and as this happens, birthrates will decline. Perhaps this will be good in the short term, but not so great in the long term.

I look forward to cheap, delicious, animal-free meat. Hopefully science will get there. Until then, I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-23-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #1188 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky

Surprise surprise... water levels don't always rise, or rise uniformly.

And adjustments do have to be made, because the land itself either rises or sinks.

Scientists do note areas where the sea level is going down, either due to the variability caused by heat distribution:

https://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/news...-coastal-areas

Or due to land masses rebounding after glacial melt:

SitNews: Melting glaciers boost sea level; however, sea levels will actually drop in Alaska By MOLLY RETTIG

Also, yes, there is debate. And fighting:
Quote:

NeilBlanchard

Tides Gauge vs. Altimetry
(That was an interesting read)
Another effect that is a big part of sea level - is the gravitational pull of land ice.

When the Greenland ice melts, the sea level around it will drop, because the gravitational pull of the ice is shifted to the sea. Same for Antarctic ice.

Antarctic ice is about 2.5 MILES thick, and it is pushing the land under it DOWN a bit less than 1/2 MILE. The sea level around Antarctica is pulled up a lot.

The bulge of sea level around the equator, that results from the earth spinning on its axis (making the shape of the earth into an oblate spheroid) - is shifted southward by the gravitational pull of the Antarctic ice. A LOT.

Since we measure elevation of mountains above sea level - AND since sea level is NOT consistent (i.e. not "level"), there is a mountain in Ecuador called Mount Chimborazo THAT IS TALLER THAN Mount EVEREST, relative to the center of the earth / space.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=9428163

Science is complicated, and checkable. Without science, we would not be discussing this on the Internet.

We have GRACE satellites - that measure elevation and gravity <i>very</i> precisely. They can measure the elevation change due to pumping of ground water in the California drought.

So in other words, it's a "self regulating system."

Got it...

>

Old 03-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #1189 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Oh come on guys, don't be so afraid of women. They are people too you know.

The Following User Says Thank You to UFO For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #1190 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I'm certainly not against women, I'm married to one that is better than me in most of the practical ways that matter. I am against bad ideas though, and most groups that are for advancing one category of people by tearing down another category of people are wrong.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-23-2018)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam