Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #2211 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
I've never settled on a number for a natural carrying capacity,sustainable population for Earth.
Which number depends on the technology used to sustain them.

Quote:
*Innovation will be something to watch as things unfold.'Necessity is the mother of invention' has now become,'The necessity of invention is a mutha.'
*We are a technological society,and as my dad would say,'It's a lot easier going forward,'I suspect that we'll see new technology in the pipeline to at least cushion our transition to who knows where.
Thanks again for all the data.We can use all we can get!
This all depends on a correct understanding of the underlying principle. Since the 1930s we've been up against the inability to reconcile astrophysics and quantum physics. The latest attempt to come up dry is String Theory (11 dimensions but 8 are rolled up so tightly we can't see them). Unfalsifiable and non-predictive.

Now comes Quantum Gravity Theory. I like it a lot because of some correspondences to Fuller's Synergetics. Everything is part of an eight-dimensional figure called the Gosset Polytope. We see a four-dimensional shadow and experience it as three. Would you like to know more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
I don't really blame a municipality that has come to the conclusion that recycling certain things doesn't make financial sense.
Eugene, OR tried to make a separation tower. It blowed up real good when it ingested a half-empty propane bottle.

Packaging [is/should be] the responsibility of them who purchased it.

edit:
Quote:
We don't know anything before Sumer,except for maybe China
What we do know is the remnants available to us show technologies that we can't replicate. But we've surpassed them in astronomy.

Quote:
*Nihilism is alive and well.I know plenty who are addicted to it.It's an easy path once begun.
All the nihilists think they are anarchists. Sad.

Last edited by freebeard; 07-07-2018 at 03:20 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-07-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #2212 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Scientists Trace Heat Wave To Massive Star At Center Of Solar System

Quote:
PASADENA, CAGroundbreaking new findings announced Monday suggest the record-setting heat wave plaguing much of the United States may be due to radiation emitted from an enormous star located in the center of the solar system.

Scientists believe the star, which they have named G2V65, may in fact be the same bright yellow orb seen arcing over the sky day after day, and given its extreme heat and proximity to Earth, it is likely not only to have caused the heat wave, but to be responsible for every warm day in human history.

"Our measurements indicate the massive amount of energy this thing gives off is able to travel 93 million miles and reach our planet in as little as eight and a half minutes," said Professor Mitch Kivens, an astronomer at the California Institute of Technology. "While we can't see them, we're fairly certain these infrared rays strike Earth's surface, become trapped by the atmosphere, and just heat everything up like a great big oven."

"We originally thought that if this star was producing temperatures of 100-plus in the South and Midwest, it must be at least 100 degrees itself," Kivens added. "But it turns out it's far, far hotter than that, with a surface temperature of nearly 10,900 degrees Fahrenheit."
https://www.theonion.com/scientists-...-of-1819572838

>

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #2213 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Have any of you heard of The Thought Emporium on YouTube? He uses "Super worms" to eat styrofoam:

He also mentioned then-teenage Daniel Burd who developed bacteria that ate 43% of a sample of plastic in six weeks:

He followed up with 2,000 "Super Worms" in a 5-gallon bucket, with a screened hole in the bottom emptying into another 5-gallon bucket. He fed them 70% recycled styrofoam peanuts, misted them with water periodically, and started testing the styfoam by-product, but that was two years ago, he has moved five times since, and the project is shelved indefinitely:

He has other cool projects and mentioned The King of Random twice and Cody's Lab once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel Burd.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24532  

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #2214 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Great, now we'll have plagues of hungry bacteria going through and eating 90% of everything we own.

There really isn't much of a problem with plastic not decomposing. As long as it makes it into a landfill and not a body of water, it's fine to sit there. Consider it carbon sequestration.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #2215 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Great, now we'll have plagues of hungry bacteria going through and eating 90% of everything we own.

There really isn't much of a problem with plastic not decomposing. As long as it makes it into a landfill and not a body of water, it's fine to sit there. Consider it carbon sequestration.
Another name for human burials? He wasn't buried, he was carbon sequestered.

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #2216 (permalink)
Not Doug

Funny, I thought the bacteria would be great for the giant floating islands of plastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #2217 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Plastic, schmastic.

redneck reminded me that The Onion is facing layoffs.

splinternews.com:Inspiring: A Small Number of Jackasses Put Minimal Effort Into Remembering Some Onion Inc. Blogs

Quote:
The Daily Beast reported today that Univision, the parent company of both the Gizmodo Media Group and Onion Inc., is planning to layoff a significant number of Onion Inc. employees in the coming days. Included in the Beast’s story was this anecdote about a recent all-hands meeting between Onion Inc. employees and Univision head of digital, Sameer Deen:
When asked during an all-hands meeting with staffers from one site earlier this year what his favorite article was on an Onion Inc. site, Univision’s head of digital Sameer Deen would not answer.
Employees at Gizmodo Media Group found this to be strange. In their experience, anyone who is not some kind of ****ing freaky sicko has at least one favorite Onion blog. To demonstrate the veracity of this theory, something like 14 Gizmodo Media Group employees spent something like 17 minutes recalling their favorite Onion Inc. blogs from memory. Here are some of the posts they were able to remember without thinking very hard at all:
My favorite shall always be:

politics.theonion.com/:Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'

Old 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #2218 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Today in his 'Summer of Love' podcast, Scott Adams said nobody's talking about global war-ming lately. This thread certainly has lost headway.

He mentioned three methods of carbon sequestration that are scalable, without naming them. I'd guess making limestone, feeding bacteria and producing hydro-carbron fuel out of thin air and water.

Any other possibilities?

https://www.weeklystandard.com/tony-mecia/u-s-greenhouse-gas-emissions-falling-under-trump-european-emissions-rising?

Quote:
Environmental data for 2017 are pouring in, and the results might not be what you’d expect.

In the United States, where President Trump has promised to unshackle the coal industry and to abandon an international climate change treaty, greenhouse-gas emissions fell last year and are expected to continue falling.

In Europe, where political leaders consider climate change an urgent priority, emissions rose last year.

In the United States, a report released last week by the Rhodium Group says that even though Trump “continues to unravel Obama-era climate and clean energy policies,” falling costs of renewable energy and natural gas are “keeping U.S. greenhouse gas emissions on the downswing.”

The latest government data show emissions have fallen 12 percent from 2005 to 2016. The Rhodium Group report estimates that by 2020, emissions will have fallen between 15 percent and 17 percent compared with 2005 levels.

In contrast, emissions are rising in Europe and much of the rest of the world. According to the BP data, Europe’s carbon dioxide emissions rose 92 million tons, or 2.5 percent. That includes increases in France (2 percent), Germany (0.1 percent), and Spain (7 percent). Carbon emissions rose in a majority of European countries last year, according to European Union data.

Other countries had increases, too, including China, the world’s biggest polluter, with an increase of 119 million tons, or 1.6 percent. Canada’s rose 3.4 percent.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #2219 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
I have noticed places where "they care about the environment" tend to have the worst pollution. Like California.
During trumps second term 2 new nuclear reactors could be coming on line. Producing a few gigawatts of near carbon free electricity 24hr a day 7 days a week for around 360 days a year.
On a more personal level I will likely have 10 to 12 kw of solar installed and may be off grid by then.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-14-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #2220 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
During trumps second term
Are you trying to drive people to suicide?!

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam