Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #4031 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
cheap abundant energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I imagine machines are what largely eliminated slavery, not simply enlightened moral values.

Losing the productivity of machines and cheap abundant energy would put human morality at risk.
I would never use those words together in a sentence associated with fossil fuels.
In retrospect,they've turned out to be the most expensive,amoral, ever conceived.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (12-12-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #4032 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Incandescent light bulbs were 2% efficient and a great market success for 137-years!

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #4033 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Naw, having an opportunity to benefit others and refusing is amoral. This entire discussion is possible due to fossil fuels. Had we not utilized them, most of us wouldn't even be alive for starters, and those that were would be outside plowing fields with oxen only to die at 40 or sooner.

How many of us on here are over 40? We're all dead without fossil fuels. Everyone else has a foot in the grave.

There is a moral case for fossil fuels, and that shouldn't even have to be stated given the exceedingly apparent examples of it absolutely everywhere we look.

Since there's a moral case for utilizing fossil fuels, there's a moral case for utilizing it wisely, which entails using it efficiently. The idea being to maximize the good that it does and extend out the timeframe we have to leverage such a gift.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #4034 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

painfully quite obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It is painfully quite obvious to me that there is no chance of replacing even a fraction of the fossil energy we are now using. Things will be much smaller and simpler again in the mid future after the carbon pulse.
Rather than blindly wishing for a wind and solar transition to replace even half of that chart, we would be much better off to accept that it is not physically possible and start to focus on easing into the social changes that will be abruptly and painfully forced on us if no early actions are taken.
I'm kinda growing tired of the broken-record Nate Hagens' dissertation.
I'll continue to recommend the B.S.in Mechanical Engineering,then see if you change your song.
I thank those who've lost their carbon-vision and and have seen a different paradigm for the taking.
The only blindness I see now is from carbon scales covering people's eyes.
You'd make an excellent attack dog,or shill for the fossil-fuel lobby.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #4035 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I'm kinda growing tired of the broken-record Nate Hagens' dissertation.
I'll continue to recommend the B.S.in Mechanical Engineering,then see if you change your song.
I thank those who've lost their carbon-vision and and have seen a different paradigm for the taking.
The only blindness I see now is from carbon scales covering people's eyes.
You'd make an excellent attack dog,or shill for the fossil-fuel lobby.
Did you read MacKay or Murphy? To name just a couple more. You might respect their degrees in Physics better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I too have noticed that engineer types are more adept at understanding the scale of our energy consumption and the possibilty of replacing it with rebuildables than economists or politicians. Your growing disdain for Hagens is very surprising to me. But then again he walked away from a $500,000/ year career on Wall Street 20 years ago when he realized big money was ruining the planet. And went back to school only to get a doctorate in environmental science from a custom program at U of Vermont, and was lead editor at The Oil Drum for years and has since dedicated his life to trying to help us understand all of this. So what does he know.
You might like these physicists better.
David MacKay
https://youtu.be/E0W1ZZYIV8o
https://www.withouthotair.com/
And Tom Murphy
https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/post-index/

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #4036 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Aerohead, once again I do not see any correlation between your responses and the posts to which you are responding. Please show us where Sendler said "Burn it all!"

Please explain how we are supposed to transition from carbon to renewable energy, using small words, and spaces after punctuation. Please explain how renewable energy is supposed to keep the poor warm in the winter in this country, let alone in third-world countries. Please explain how semis, ships, and planes are supposed to go electric.

Please stop telling people to earn a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering until you have a P.h.D. in environmental sciences.

Or why don't you stop hanging out with unwashed heathens and find some intellectual peers?

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #4037 (permalink)
Banned

Fossil fuels made possible a lot of advanceas. But most of it was wasted.
Look what we do today. Most production it's for futility. We buy things that don't last, specially if from Cihna, thing that broke easy and we replace with new ones, and the new ones took energy and did polutes to manufecture. Cheap low quality things that polutes as much as high quality things.

Just a fraction of money/investments was used to science development, and only a fraction was used to study ways to go greener.

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #4038 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

comprehension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Aerohead, are you quoting Sendler and responding to someone completely different? At what point did Sendler say anything indicating he was pro combustion?

I worry about your reading comprehension.
I suffer from late-onset perspicacity disorder.
My formal,and informal education has exposed me to different realities than sendler advocates as the only path forwards.Every time he 'speaks' I hear only Nate Hagens,for whom I have extremely little regard.
I see 'dots' and connect the dots,and come up with a different take on potentialities for a path forwards.
'Pro-combustion' is the default reality,if you cannot imagine a change in American consumer/industrial behavior.
And I can tell you that,historically,the power consumption data,and mix he shares is 'provisional',contextual,and arbitrary,and with the stroke of a pen,can be extremely modified (downwards), if (and that's a big if) it were ever to be a priority.
And it can be done with everyone feeling good about it.The United Sates has a historical precedent for this very thing.
And like I've said elsewhere,you're not going to expect a lot from a troglodyte with a single synapse.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #4039 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no country

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
I must agree. I think solar plus wind plus biofeul and other will help, but probably not enough in terms of keep the same cost to produce electricity, unles new breakthroughs arrive.

Civilization needs to start to accept to be more humble, think in simpler life, end ostentation in order to keep safety and confort. We can keep confort, safety and health if we start to cut ostentantion and luxury.
Smaller cars, smaller homes, not junk food using plastic of foam, return to glass bottles to ice drinks instead o pat bottles using plastic.

Adapt home to capture rain water. Adapt washing machines to collect the soap water and rinse water, to help clean ground using it isntead of potable water. Shower water could be captured to use in toilets discharges.

Hot countries took a lot energy with air conditioned. So why not creat cold rooms, like small rooms to cold days, that would demand less air conditioned power, instead of try to cool large rooms ?

The problem is that nobody wants to get humble even a little bit. It's like a chubby guy that wants to lose weight but just waits for a magic chocolate without calories, isntead of reduce food consume and get some exercises.

In the same way countries are greed and competitive, and no country wants to reduce CO2 and polution, since the other countries would produce more and compete more if they forget about ecologic actitudes.

The most dangerous hazard to human species it's the own human species.
I would only argue that,there are many individuals trying to make a difference.You cannot regulate thinking and ideas.
Individuals have always made the difference.
Vote with your currency.It's a perfect democracy.It doesn't
matter what the government is doing.
There's fortunes to be made in renewable energy.Greed alone is enough to drive it.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #4040 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I asked before, how is pen-stroking working for Macron in France?

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam