Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #5671 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The real problem is people who think it's a good idea to throw a few coins into the jet engine intake 'for good luck'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Right now, the market says barn-sized SUVs, extravagant reproduction, etc., etc., are the most efficient responses.
People throw money at big mechanical things for all the wrong reasons.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-24-2019), freebeard (04-21-2019), niky (04-23-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #5672 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
From the other multi thousand post thread i'm on:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...60703#p1460703
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastie post_id=1460666 time=1555835180 user_id=28169
I have watched these Nate Hagens videos you have provided and I think they are great.
I don't think its unreasonable to consider Nate Hagens a bit of an "energy genius" or at least expert.
So it seems that Hagens is under attack because he is not as well known as Al Gore. Here is some of his history that I know. Nate and his writing partner D.J. White are both brilliant. I have actually convinced him in these newer works to tone down the high level language somewhat so that regular people will find it easier to understand. See the list of words below that I was inclined to look up for example. His first masters degree was with honors from the business school at U. Chicago. He went to Wall Street and quickly rose past VP at Lehman Bros. to owning his own investment firm where he managed money for billionaires. He soon realized that his clients were actually quite miserable much of the time and that all of this consumption was ruining the Earth so he walked away from $half a million /year and went hiking with just him and his dog for two years to have time to read and study and clarify his thoughts. He went back to school at U. Vermont and received a PHD in a custom program that allowed him to pursue the seemingly disparate studies of evolutionary neurochemistry/ economy (already a former Wall Street genius)/ energy-petroleum geology/ ecology- resource depletion . How it all fits together (Synthesis). He then went on to write for an emagazine and forum. The Oil Drum.
The Oil Drum | Discussions about Energy and Our Future
And now teaches Reality 101 as an honors course at U. Minnesota.
https://honors.umn.edu/hsem-2624h
D.J. White is also an energy expert who saved his money from initially working in oil exploration and got out when he too realized it was a path to an inevitable resource depletion lifestyle as far back as the mid 70's. He decided not to have children and adopt instead. Dolphins. He went back to school to receive certification to set up a dolphin research facility and was instrumental in changing and enforcing worldwide laws for dolphin safe commercial fishing practices. And judging from his language skills in their writing is also a genius although I have never personally spoken to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastie post_id=1460666 time=1555835180 user_id=28169
Also, we live in a world where the most easily absorbable and likable ideas win, at least in the short term over what might actually work.
Tribalism. Confirmation bias. " It never fails to amaze me at the infinite capacity of the human brain to resist the introduction of useful knowledge"
Power words examples:
Narative and Metaphor. Conjur up shared images
Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias,[Note 1] is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.
asceticism=severe self-discipline and avoidance of all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.
mirror neuron sytem=shared pain
psychic numbing” which is a tendency for individuals or societies to withdraw attention from past traumatic experiences
Veblen goods= status symbols (Ferrari)
fundamental attribution error....In addition to the physical benefits of greater numbers, group delineations affect our psychology as well. Within our own groups we tend to attribute our successes to our own smarts and personalities, and our failures to misfortune or the bad actions of outgroups - termed in psychology as
Machiavellian =cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, especially in politics or in advancing one's career.
A collective action problem =a situation whereby if everyone performed a certain action, all would be better off, but the high cost to an individual of doing the action makes it likely that few (or no one) will perform that action.
tautology=the saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style
Mutable=liable to change.
nascent=just coming into existence and beginning to display signs of future potential.
omnibus=a volume containing several novels or other items previously published separately
aphorism=a pithy observation that contains a general truth, such as, “if it ain't broke, don't fix it.”
teological=a doctrine explaining phenomena by final causes
restive=unable to keep still or silent and becoming increasingly difficult to control, especially because of impatience, dissatisfaction, or boredom.
Profligate, as a noun or as an adjective, implies recklessly wasting your money on extravagant luxury.
monomorphic=having or existing in only one form, in particular.
apocryphal=(of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.
a widow's cruse = An inexhastable supply.
largesse= generosity in bestowing money or gifts upon others.
non-sequitur=an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy.
cornucopian= someone who thinks resources will never run out.
Immediacy Fallacy = As we’re all aware, sometimes a perfectly intelligent human will latch onto a notion and interpret all data in such a way as to confirm that notion.
axiomatic=self-evident or unquestionable
High excergy= eletricity can do more stuff, more versatile. often close to 100%
Pecuniary= of or relating to money
stochastic=random variable
solipsism=Philosophy. the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. 2. extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption
benighted =in a state of pitiful or contemptible intellectual or moral ignorance
Anthropic=a philosophical consideration that observations of the Universe must be compatible with the conscious and sapient life that observes it.
inimical=tending to obstruct or harm. unfriendly; hostile.
Tropism=The turning of all or part of an organism in a particular direction.
ab initio= from the beginning, right off the bat
pareto efficiency= in a system, changing one thing for the better little by little until it is as good as it can be without taking away from the best of anything else.
apoplectic= overcome with anger
plutocracy= government by the wealthy
summum bonum= highest good
verdical = truthful
Primum non nocere-"First do no harm."
Deus ex Machina = a person or thing (as in fiction or drama) that appears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.
eating the lotus=They started at once, and went about among the Lotus-eaters, who did them no hurt, but gave them to eat of the lotus, which was so delicious that those who ate of it left off caring about home, and did not even want to go back and say what had happened to them, but were for staying and munching lotus
asymptote = An asymptote is a line or curve that approaches a given curve arbitrarily closely

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-24-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #5673 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'm not going score myself on that vocabulary list; but my favorite unknown is 'a widow's cruse = An inexhastable supply'. Widows be cruisin'.

Quote:
fundamental attribution error

(NSFW language in the first ten minutes, then she gets down to business) To go deeper there's the playlist 'How I do Social Science: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9EIXOMYrwqEQJD

Last edited by freebeard; 04-21-2019 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #5674 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Battery shortages for Audi.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...duction-delays

aerohead (04-24-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #5675 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

"But saying that depletion is at the basis of our troubles is politically incorrect and unspeakable in the public debate. So, most Italians don't understand the reasons for what's going on. They only perceive that their life is becoming harder and harder, despite what they are being told on TV. Their reaction is to lash out at whoever or whatever they think is the cause of their economic decline"
https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com...%27s+Legacy%29

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-24-2019), Frank Lee (04-22-2019), niky (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #5676 (permalink)
Banned

That's because they wish a huge car with 400km range using standart battery technology. No way... it turns heavy, as it needs a lot of batteries, and if it get heavy if took more energy to run and so as results needs more batteries... A lost case...
It's like try to create a flying elephant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post

Last edited by All Darc; 04-22-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #5677 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
what every student..................

Quote:
Keep in mind also that the Hagens lecture I linked was just an off the cuff local Earth day presentation he threw together not even intending it to be any kind of Magnum Opus. Not a rehearsed and produced Tedx. And seeks to condense an 80 hour, 1,200 page class into 1 hour. Maybe it is just much easier for me to understand what he is getting at since I have taken the whole class?
There is a more thorough short video series available now which he just finished and that all incoming freshmen to the Honors College at U of Minnesota are required to view. The production is still slap dash but the information is excellent as usual. Again, he speaks deliberately when narrating so the videos can be watched at 1.5 speed to save time. Watch each group in order. 1, 2, 3. The last few in #3 I find very insightful.
There is no one else that I have ever read that has put together such a complete understanding. And I have read a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLL...pLsA/playlists
I hung in there for about six of the videos.Much was in the 2017 Earth Day video.
Without a table of contents,or index,it's impossible to navigate through the redundant information to get to novel material.
I appreciate what he's done,but I can't take the time to get to the finish.
Thanks for the link.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #5678 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I hung in there for about six of the videos.Much was in the 2017 Earth Day video.
Without a table of contents,or index,it's impossible to navigate through the redundant information to get to novel material.
I appreciate what he's done,but I can't take the time to get to the finish.
Thanks for the link.
Thanks for trying. I know a 4 hour video series with 30 videos is a huge amount for anyone to get through which is why I always just start people with the 1 hour lecture (which I happen to think is a good whirlwind tour although he himself doesn't consider it as any thing more than a one time Earth Day talk presented to 40 people and doesn't promote any longer). Hopefully the youtube play list for the longer series is stable so that people can dabble away at it over time when they get bored. I (him also) fully understand that the production is slapped together and contains a few mistakes like inserting the same spoken text twice since it was done with only a couple interns doing the production and under severe time constraints. But at least the information is getting out there.
https://youtu.be/YUSpsT6Oqrg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLL...pLsA/playlists

aerohead (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #5679 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Science of Energy

Partner in crime,AeroStealth,loaned me the Great Courses' The Science of Energy,24-lecture series of 2016,with PhD Michael E. Wysession,of Washington University,St. Louis.
I'm in lecture 16 right now,but have a few observations to share.
*while Michael says that fossil fuels dominate our energy landscape and probably will throughout our lifetime,he does discuss transitioning to clean,renewable forms of energy as a matter of health and safety,not to mention climate.
*true costs of coal are 3X the purchase cost.
*China will exhaust their coal by 2045.
*the rest of humanity's future will be dominated by renewable energy.
*anthropogenic greenhouse gases are adding 3-Watts/ meter-squared to Earth's surface.
*Methane is rising faster than carbon dioxide (20X more potent than carbon dioxide),from 715 ppbv (1750),to 1800 ppbv (2015).
*solar output has been decreasing since 1960,and rapidly since 1995,while Earth continues to set records for warmest temperatures in history.
*the last time Earth had today's carbon dioxide atmospheric concentration,sea-levels were 75-100-feet higher.
*while it took 3-weeks for the Larsen-B ice-shelf to collapse,the Wilkins ice shelf disintegrated in one day.
*grid-scale photovoltaic electricity hit economic parity in 2014,at under 10-cents/kWh.
*in 2015,large PV arrays came online at $0.05/kWh.
*in 2015,PVs made their cost back in 2-years or less.
*in 2014,wind-sourced electricity made up 4.4% of total US production.
*in 2014,aside from hydro-electric,wind power was the cheapest form of electric power,compared to coal and natural gas combined cycle-plants,if carbon capture and sequestration were factored in.
*in 2015,some US wind farms' capacity factor were as high as hydro-power (45%-world-wide average).
*while wind turbine rotors kill 200,000-400,000 birds/bats/year,cats kill 1.4-million-to-1.7-million,and cell-phone towers kill about 7-million/year.
*some carbon mitigation geoengineering schemes are estimated at $20-trillion/year.
*Professor Wysession considers it economically advantageous to not release the greenhouse gases in the first place.
*the extant,anthropogenic greenhouse gases will continue to warm the planet for the next 1,000-years,even if all emissions stop today (2015).
*Michael cited the U.S.Energy Information Administration and National Renewable Energy Laboratory of the US Dept. of Energy for data.
PS: passive solar homes would cut domestic power consumption by 50%.

Last edited by aerohead; 04-24-2019 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: add PS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-24-2019), niky (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #5680 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

shortage

Quote:
KIA/Hyundai ran into the same pinch-point with their EV's.The lead times for production of scale took them by surprise.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam