Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #6021 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
A friend shared 'HOW NOT TO DIE' by Dr. Michael Gregor.The contents of the book try to stay as close to randomized,double-blind,placebo-controlled,large cohort clinical trials as exist in the available literature.He also does daily pod-casts.
Arterial plaque,hardening of the arteries,high blood pressure,high cholesterol,erectile dysfunction,type-2 diabetes,heart attack and stroke etc.,are all symptomatic of diet and lifestyle.And can all be reversed with a change in diet and lifestyle.
One of my physicals trended downward.The doctor said they could prescribe medication.I opted for a change in diet and more exercise.Next physical I had straightened out.
One thing Gregor mentioned was,that for anyone taking something for ED, the next step would be an operating table or the morgue.As to vascular health,ED is the canary in the coal mine.
A television show over here is about a county coroner/medical examiner in Florida.Often at autopsy,she discovers almost complete blockage of the coronary arteries.The deceased had no symptoms other than sudden death,either by heart attack or stroke.
Many cardiologists over here have gone vegan.I'm doing a flexitarian diet.I eat flesh and binge on fat,salt,and sugar,twice a week.So far,so good.
Glad you dodged a bullet!
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Thank you all for your well wishes.

As for diet and exercise, I always thought I wasn't doing too bad. I ate fruit and vegetables every day, kept meat and fat to decent proportions, did walk a mile and a half every lunch break and the stairs to the 4th floor at work. Then I drank one or two beers almost every evening, usually some 8-9% Belgian tripel at that. Never drunk, but seldom sober.

Then I got a recurring pain in my sternum. At first I thought it was muscle, cartilage or stomach related, it could be allergy, it could be Lyme's disease, search the net and it could be anything...
4 months ago it developed a pattern. One hour and a half after a meal, usually my light breakfast, I got a pressing pain (not stinging nor throbbing on either side of my sternum, often radiating to my throat, and maintaining for up to 4 minutes before disappearing in seconds.
It was impervious of outside effects (massaging, knocking, taking a deep breath did not make any difference) though in the end phase a good yawn sped up recovery somewhat.
Then 15 minutes later the next one came along, sometimes 4 in a row.
I was seeing a doctor for it who sent me to a cardiologist who did not recognize the symptoms as heart failure and rather suspected a stomach or liver problem. I got an acid blocker...

One Saturday morning I woke up with chest pain, arms and legs numb and tingling. I recovered within a minute. My wife who had a bad first half of the night was fast asleep, so I let her sleep.
By the 4th mini stroke she was awake. I told her not to worry, it was already getting less severe.
The 5th one was rather heavy though so we did call the doctor, who sent an ambulance. Just after the 8th stroke they arrived. I was getting up and noticed during that stroke that my toes were purple.
The ambulance nurses did an ECG but found nothing strange. Blood pressure and cholesterol were on the high side of normal.

Now even the cardiologist conceded that the problem might be coronary after all, I got a CT scan and it indeed showed some 'irregularities'. I got medicine and the advice to exercise more. I already documented each attack and found they were most frequent in the weekend and the first working day; apparently the lunch break walk is beneficiary. Also I found that attacks were more frequent right after eating pasta or in the days after drinking beer (I was already trimming that down a bit at that point), so I reduced that even more and finally eliminated it altogether when even a single 'sin' got to my heart. But even without I kept having attacks.

Last Thursday I got a heart catheterization and a stent to widen up the coronary artery. 3 days on I can fully use my arm again, and I had no further attacks of course.

A few weeks ago I enlisted in a half year 'health coach program' at work that just kicked of at the right time. It stressed what I was already doing: more fruit, unlimited vegetables, more exercise. But also: no free sugars (even fruit drinks), processed food, meat or animal product except for steamed or roasted fish, almost vegan. Google G-BOMBS if you like for the core of it.
Instead of 1 or 2 you mix 6 or more vegetables from different vegetable groups and they complement each other like the colors of the rainbow.

I was highly skeptical of that 'rabbit's diet' but to my amazement it completely satisfies and takes away any craving or hunger. I simply eat as much as I like, never go hungry and yet I do lose weight.

The most important part is the sugar balance.
Our blood stream contains about 5 metric gramme of sugar. If you drink a soda or a big glass of orange juice you get a sudden influx of sugar several times as big. No problem, for healthy people: insulin to the rescue to bring down the sugar to a normal level.

Once that's achieved insulin production stops again. But the remaining insulin in the blood keeps binding sugar, so we get below our normal level.
Nothing that a big glass of soda can't fix! So again we go up in the sugar rollercoaster, and at the end of the day we've been overstocking our body for 75% of the time.
Now solid fruits and vegetables also contain sugars, but they are locked in the cellular plant structure and therefore are released more gradually, won't prime the rollercoaster and won't cause the dip. Instead, if they peter out the sugar level drops very gradually so our body has time to switch to burning fats. And almost without noticing we're slimming.
I weighed in at 92 kilogrammes 2 months ago. 83.3 yesterday, 83.4 this morning...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2019), freebeard (06-16-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #6022 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Team Honda
Today, for the first time, I felt more energetic than before getting the stent - more energetic than I've been since I don't know how long.
I took a long walk and noticed how I hardly had to breathe once in 4 passes (8 steps), that's less than half as often as I was used to. My heart is healing fast!

Right now I'm kind of sleepy but not tired. That's new. I think I'm going to sleep well tonight.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #6023 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Could be you'll be around for the Pole Shift (thousand mph winds and 300ft tsunami).

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #6024 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Temperatures leap 40 degrees above normal as the Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 PM   #6025 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RedDevil — What do you know about that stent procedure? When they took a look at my heart they went in through a vein in my right wrist.

Do you know if the stent was inflated with a bladder, or was it made from nitinol? Because that is being developed for a future Mars rover.

Of course since you can see through them, they'll show up on low-riders and ricers with lights inside.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #6026 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
RedDevil — What do you know about that stent procedure? When they took a look at my heart they went in through a vein in my right wrist.

Do you know if the stent was inflated with a bladder, or was it made from nitinol? Because that is being developed for a future Mars rover.

Of course since you can see through them, they'll show up on low-riders and ricers with lights inside.
The stent went through the right wrist too, right after they took a look. It is made of a polymer, pulled tight to the rod when inserted, but tries to jump out to a centimeter wide tube (about) when released. The stent, even initially, was yet wider than my vein. Just to prevent you from ever relaxing your diet and exercise! It still hurts 5 days on...
It was the only real pain though. Didn't feel a thing in my heart. One past the elbow the vein is wider and all bad things end.

After the stent was put in place it was pushed firm against the artery with a balloon (see PCI), opening up the passage.

Last edited by RedDevil; 06-18-2019 at 10:04 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2019), freebeard (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #6027 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not the same as the wheel then.

hardware.slashdot.org/.../siemens-gamesa-unveils-world-first-electrothermal-energy-storage-system
Quote:
The heat storage facility consists of around 1,000 tonnes of volcanic rock which is used as the storage medium. The rock is fed with electrical energy which is then converted into hot air by means of a resistance heater and a blower that, in turn, heats the rock to 750C/1382F. When demand requires the stored energy, ETES uses a steam turbine to re-electrify the stored energy and feeds it back into the grid. The new ETES facility in Hamburg-Altenwerder can store up to 130 MWh of thermal energy for a week, and storage capacity remains constant throughout the charging cycles.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #6028 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
GREEN TYRANNY

I finished the book.The contents will be familiar, I suppose, to the denial community.I would recommend it to climate believers,for no other reason, than to walk around in someone else's shoes for awhile.
Observations,with out going into detail:
The Contents page is cryptic and affords the reader little efficiency in targeting specific topics.
The book reads like a B-Movie screenplay, with multiple authors, who never communicated between one another.Without a continuity director,the narrative is incoherent and self-destructing,with so many contradictions,it's difficult to sort it out.
Darwall will attack an entity for some behavior,only to demonstrate the same behavior himself,elsewhere in the book.He presents information supposed to damn a certain party,which any reader with perspicacity will realize,not only exonerates the entity under attack,but also reveals an inability of critical thinking and comprehension on the part of Darwall.
The most important themes (my opinion) are not listed in the Index,which again,makes for difficult navigation.
One is expected to read all the way through the work,in order just to have a rudimentary acquaintance with the material.
I'm doing some fact-checking,but early impressions are that his (their) premises about acid rain, nuclear winter,and global warming are based upon non-factual,cherry-picked,ultra-minority,sources,whom present data which undermine their own arguments.
It's a very bizarre reading experience.A mirror into the soul of one I'd rather avoid.Much open hostility.
A look at the publisher,and the funding mechanisms behind them will be interesting to any conspiracy theory buff.And insight into why there's been little meaningful effort to mitigate climate change since the 1950s.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #6029 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I finished the book.
Observations, without going into detail:
I'm impressed. How many pages? I can't read an entire book anymore [thanks, Internet!], the most I can consume is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Rupert Darwall's Green Tyranny | NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW THAT
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...green-tyranny/
Rupert Darwall's Green Tyranny. Post-1945 West Germany appeared normal, but anti-nuclear protests in the 1970s led to the fusion of extreme Left and Right and the birth of the Greens in 1980. Their rise changed Germany, then Europe and now the world. Radical environmentalism became mainstream.
Close enough?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #6030 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'm impressed. How many pages? I can't read an entire book anymore [thanks, Internet!], the most I can consume is this:

Close enough?
It's 266-pages of text,then Notes,then Index.
Quite a bit on the Frankfurt School.It takes me back to my childhood and my mom's,almost obsession with this sort of stuff,along with Illuminati conspiracies thrown in for good measure.My father threatened divorce if she didn't get the materials out of the house (nearly every drawer were full of news clippings and pamphlets).She donated everything to an outfit called Valley Research (San Fernando Valley).They didn't divorce,so it ended okay perhaps.
The cover price for the book is $25.99.I paid $8 at a thrift shop.It's information-rich,just awkward to navigate.
A local library could probably get it on inter-library loan if they didn't have.The best price!

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (06-21-2019)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam