Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #7941 (permalink)
Banned

Very low cost "home" with swim pool :

Such compact sopil type made things easier :

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #7942 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Permalink #7888 11-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da mods
pause
New rule! No more climate change discussion on EcoModder for one month.

You might call it a cooling-off period.

(I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

If it were my decision alone, I'd ban the topic outright. Unfortunately, there are two benevolent dictators around here, and we compromised.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Happy we can talk-about-reality-again day everyone!

There were some big developments that I've forgotten about already but let start with an especially good S0, that went up this morning:

Quote:
Today's Featured Links:
GOCE Below Antarctica: http://www.esa.int/Applications/Obser...
Unreal Atmosphere Chemistry Tracking: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4754
Earth Observing Fleet: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4772
XMM Newton Anniversary: https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Im...
- https://sci.esa.int/web/xmm-newton/-/...
- https://sci.esa.int/web/xmm-newton/-/...
Plants, Ultrasonic While Stressed: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.11...
Universe NOT Still Expanding: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1912.04257.pdf
https://dlmultimedia.esa.int/downloa..._021_AR_EN.mp4

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a00000...HD_1080p30.mp4

Plants scream, but they have high-pitched squeaky little voices.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 AM   #7943 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I went on a Fireside Chats with Dennis Prager binge, and the 1 thing he mentioned on the subject (so far in what I've listened to) is that if the problem is so dire, why is practically nobody acting in a manner that reflects that reality? Beachfront property should be on a fire sale if it's so threatened.

Admittedly, effects that are 100 years away won't necessarily be reflected in the here and now. Still, the changes encountered over the last 100 years are likely to continue into the future, and there's a question as to why those similar changes that hardly anyone noticed will become a huge catastrophe in the future. For instance, sea level has risen something like 10" in the past 100 years, and is projected to rise similarly in the next 100 years. When very old people share what was the worst thing to happen to them in their lifetime, they don't mention the 1 degree rise in temperature and the 10" sea level rise.

That doesn't mean there won't be problems from an accelerated climate change, only that those that hype it to the forefront of humanity's problems are either profoundly ignorant, or profoundly corrupt (I tend to assume ignorance in the absence of compelling evidence of corruption).

BTW- my other musing on the subject was in regards to the political leaning of the scientific community. A Google search brought up this HuffPo article that said "Only six percent of America’s scientists identify themselves as Republicans; fifty-five percent call themselves Democrats."

Science, like reporting, is supposed to deliver the facts and leave the interpretation and values to the listeners. With biases like these, what chance do we have of just getting the facts?

I find this subject incredibly boring because nobody will be talking about it 20 years from now. I'd rather be talking about genetic engineering, and how that's going to mess with everything because it's a frontier we've barely scratched the surface on. The ethical debate on if your car should be forced to get 40 MPG instead of 30 will pale in comparison to designing your children to order, for instance, and the further class division it will produce.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-11-2019 at 03:04 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #7944 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
They're going to bring wooly mammoths back.
I seem to remember a movie franchise kind of like that and it didn't go well.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #7945 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Every innovation brings with it the next challenges to overcome. Usually technology is first used for destruction before it's used constructively.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #7946 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4
If it's the franchise I think you mean it was because they used frog DNA. In the age of Pepe the Frog, it's obvious that frogs are agents of Chaos.

Everybody's circling the topic? 'Nancy-pants' Pelosi was at some climate conference usurping the Executive function of foreign policy. Did anyone take notice?

G. Thunberg was pronounced Person Of The Year by some magazine. Anyone notice?

It's going to be hard to quote Youtube videos from now on. Last evening I tried to open their site three time before I figured out I had to touch their new Terms of Service , and each time I was forced to see a full screen video of some furry dystopia called CATS. Before the Terms of Service.

The only thing I saw that affects lurkers is a prohibition on downloading their videos. Eventually, I'll see if the downloader sites have been blocked. But their response to COPPA is disturbing.

I recommend (along with DDG) *****ute or Dropspace. Dropspace loaded fine last night but today it redirects to a login page for someone named jonathan stevens.???

I'm not responsible for the ****** overwriting b*tch*t*. Bit Shoot, eh.

edit:
I read at one source that 8kun is now on a block of DOD IP addresses.

Last edited by freebeard; 12-11-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #7947 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
interpretation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I went on a Fireside Chats with Dennis Prager binge, and the 1 thing he mentioned on the subject (so far in what I've listened to) is that if the problem is so dire, why is practically nobody acting in a manner that reflects that reality? Beachfront property should be on a fire sale if it's so threatened.

Admittedly, effects that are 100 years away won't necessarily be reflected in the here and now. Still, the changes encountered over the last 100 years are likely to continue into the future, and there's a question as to why those similar changes that hardly anyone noticed will become a huge catastrophe in the future. For instance, sea level has risen something like 10" in the past 100 years, and is projected to rise similarly in the next 100 years. When very old people share what was the worst thing to happen to them in their lifetime, they don't mention the 1 degree rise in temperature and the 10" sea level rise.

That doesn't mean there won't be problems from an accelerated climate change, only that those that hype it to the forefront of humanity's problems are either profoundly ignorant, or profoundly corrupt (I tend to assume ignorance in the absence of compelling evidence of corruption).

BTW- my other musing on the subject was in regards to the political leaning of the scientific community. A Google search brought up this HuffPo article that said "Only six percent of America’s scientists identify themselves as Republicans; fifty-five percent call themselves Democrats."

Science, like reporting, is supposed to deliver the facts and leave the interpretation and values to the listeners. With biases like these, what chance do we have of just getting the facts?

I find this subject incredibly boring because nobody will be talking about it 20 years from now. I'd rather be talking about genetic engineering, and how that's going to mess with everything because it's a frontier we've barely scratched the surface on. The ethical debate on if your car should be forced to get 40 MPG instead of 30 will pale in comparison to designing your children to order, for instance, and the further class division it will produce.
If you consider that an undergraduate,graduate,or post-doc can maintain a 4.0-GPA,graduate with honors,and become a Rhodes Scholar,while failing to grasp 10% of curriculum,there's a potential for things to fall between the cracks even with the best and the brightest.
President Trump maintained a C-average at Penn State,which implies that he didn't understand at least 30% of his course work.
James Hansen,as far as Climate science goes,was considered one of only three scientists to actually understand the 'Big-Picture,'climate-wise.
Frederick Lanchester 'invented' some of the most important concepts of aerodynamics,although he was dismissed by all aerodynamicists of his day,except Ludwig Prandtl,who was the only one intelligent enough to realize where Lanchester was coming from.Today,every race car on Earth uses Lanchester's technology,yet probably no one has ever heard his name mentioned.
I believe that this is how things will shake out with climate science.We'll have the Dr.Seuss 'Lorax' scenario,where capitalists will vie to be the one to cut down the last Truffulla tree,while the entire planet's flushed down the toilet.We're the most stupid species to ever emerge from the primordial slime.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Natalya (12-12-2019), NeilBlanchard (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #7948 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dartmouth College throws out climate caution flag

Last night on the PBS NEWSHOUR,Dr.Eric Osterberg,glaciologist,Dartmouth College,discussed developments in the Arctic.
Land ice melt continues to accelerate.Ditto for sea ice.Greenland is at 250-billion tons/year ice loss(250-elephants/second).Some bird and fish species are under decline.Bering Strait fisheries are threatened,along with commercial fishing and indigenous population.The Arctic's seen it's second-warmest temperatures,trending upwards.Scientists now believe they're witnessing the 'amplification' kicking in,as melting permafrost releases carbon dioxide and methane,which will ratchet up warming in a continuous positive feedback loop,with non-linear warming trend fed by albedo/greenhouse effects.Sea-level rise will accelerate as Greenland's continental ice is un-corked by loss of sea ice and calves into the ocean.There should be more research,and there is,ongoing.
Jesse Stone came by and we polished off a fifth of scotch.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #7949 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Land ice melt continues to accelerate
Antarctica is gaining while the North is loosening. The Midwest has plenty of ice and snow right now. Mega-hail is trending toward the East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
Everybody's circling the topic?
On rereading I was hasty.
Quote:
I find this subject incredibly boring because nobody will be talking about it 20 years from now. I'd rather be talking about genetic engineering...
It was beating a dead horse at Permalink #1. But beating up the people beating the dead horse was fun.

As for myself, the genetic engineering drama will play out under the cloud of the inexorable solar micro-nova. Per today's S0, the North and South magnetic poles are racing toward Indonesia.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #7950 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

gaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Antarctica is gaining while the North is loosening. The Midwest has plenty of ice and snow right now. Mega-hail is trending toward the East.

On rereading I was hasty.

It was beating a dead horse at Permalink #1. But beating up the people beating the dead horse was fun.

As for myself, the genetic engineering drama will play out under the cloud of the inexorable solar micro-nova. Per today's S0, the North and South magnetic poles are racing toward Indonesia.
Any comment about Antarctica gaining ice better provide context.In a warmer Antarctic,you're going to see more evaporation and precipitation.The downside is,that the new foehn winds blow the snow off the continent before it all can accumulate into ice.Ice accumulation in the interior neglects to mention the lower,warmer coastline elevations, and no mention of ice shelves melting from below at the grounding line,from warmer ocean temps,which when they break off,un-cork glaciers which accelerate into the surrounding oceans,which is exactly what's happening.Satellite,remote-sensing won't necessarily pickup on the enormous voids developing under the ice.And wait 'til you see glaciers,whose bases are underwater,float off the continent.
We're talking about an ice cube,147-miles on a side,which would require a rocket ship to reach the top.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam