Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #8441 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
10,000-years/sea level

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The poles have been warming for the last 10,000 years.
If all this really is happening so fast how do we still have people living below sea level.
That appears to defy all logic and reason.
Global sea level has been constant for 11,000-years,until relatively recent times.Global sea level,by definition,defines an Interglacial.The ocean temperature observed today reflects a heat input from 100-years ago.There's that much time lag involved due to the enormous mass of ocean water involved as a heat sink.
As to living below sea level,as long as the crust,between the locality of interest and coastline is impermeable,any topographical boundary in between,will hold the water back.
The 'Queen's Bath',on the big island of Hawaii,would be an example of a permeable coastal area,as with Miami,where seawater can migrate inland,directly through the porous substrate.

Last edited by aerohead; 02-12-2020 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: spell

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #8442 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That's not what the cartoon is conveying, and that's not what SA says in his videos.

The cartoon is conveying the reaction some people have when someone is skeptical of claims of impending doom unless we take drastic action. Often that drastic action involves giving power, authority, and liberty to a political party or individual with the guise to get us out the perceived emergency. It of course involves surrendering money for the cause.

Economists can predict the future about as well as palm readers. Mix the true science of global warming with palm reading, and what do you get?

The real slap in the face is when people tell me that there is a catastrophe right now; that the environment is so horrible currently that we've got to take extreme action. It's so disrespectful. I have eyes and ears that work just fine. I can see that people are better off than they have ever been before. You can't tell me everyone is dying when my own eyes are functioning just fine.

There's a case to be made that the future environment might be less hospitable for humanity and that's an argument worth considering. Someone claiming a current environmental catastrophe can be dismissed outright as a cultist or crazy.
You might consider the present novel corona virus outbreak,as a corollary to climate change.
The doctor who identified it was vilified.Just like Revelle or Gore,or Hansen.In the intervening time,before China acted,the cat got out of the bag before it could be contained.Now it's moving towards a global pandemic.The doctor's dead from the virus.
Entropic.Humpty-Dumpty is broken, and we can't put him back together,even with all the wealth on the planet.We killed the ounce of prevention,and we're probably looking far beyond an pound of cure.A few individuals decided the fate of billions.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #8443 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You might consider the present novel corona virus outbreak,as a corollary to climate change.
The doctor who identified it was vilified.Just like Revelle or Gore,or Hansen.In the intervening time,before China acted,the cat got out of the bag before it could be contained.Now it's moving towards a global pandemic.The doctor's dead from the virus.
Entropic.Humpty-Dumpty is broken, and we can't put him back together,even with all the wealth on the planet.We killed the ounce of prevention,and we're probably looking far beyond an pound of cure.A few individuals decided the fate of billions.
I don't follow news, so I'm ignorant of the latest virus people are worried about. What is it, about every 2 years some interesting new virus makes news headlines and then falls off the radar? Sometimes it's existing stuff like Ebola that trends.

Maybe you're right about billions suffering. The flip side is that billions wouldn't have experienced life in the first place without the mighty exploitation of fossil fuels. We could have used those resources more wisely, but that's true for everything all the time in hindsight.

...and besides all that, as I've been saying, the point isn't to have humans consume oxygen for the longest duration possible, but to explore. Exploration is the process of sacrificing current resources to either find new sources, or at least expand knowledge. The interesting thing about exploration is that it might actually lead to humans consuming oxygen for a longer duration. We could all live as drones serving the State, but that is entirely devoid of purpose and meaning.

Finally, the main thing that has changed is our access to news. Before humanity still had to contend with changing environments, disease, and bad weather, but we simply had no way to convey those local problems to a global audience. Our ability to worry about things happening elsewhere was close to zero. The double-edge sword is that we can now respond to issues around the world, but that also gives us anxiety about it, some of it unhealthy with respect to things we have next to no control over.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-12-2020 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #8444 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
.The ocean temperature observed today reflects a heat input from 100-years ago.
I'm glad you brought that up.
If the ocean heat lags for 80 to 100 years how can any climate change be attributed to man? Or at the very least any ocean changes?
About 100 years ago we had "eighteen hundred and froze to death" and the Dalton minimum.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 02-12-2020 at 06:05 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #8445 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
That's weather not climate.
It's a data point, that is a RECORD HIGH; among all the other records.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #8446 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

man

Quote:
I'm glad you brought that up.
If the ocean heat lags for 80 to 100 years how can any climate change be attributed to man? Or at the very least any ocean changes?
100 years about we had "eighteen hundred and froze to death" and the Dalton minimum.
The only scientific explanation for global warming,outside of natural variability,is anthropogenic greenhouse gases.
If you'll resolve the volume of ocean water into pounds,and then calculate the amount of Btu's necessary to increase its temperature 1-C,you'll have an idea of the thermal inertia we're talking about.If you worked at a power plant,this would be a routine calculation.
There's no scientific connection between the Dalton Minimum and global climate.

NeilBlanchard (02-13-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #8447 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
There's no scientific connection between the Dalton Minimum and global climate.
Is that statement not absurd on it's face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
I don't follow news, so I'm ignorant of the latest virus people are worried about. What is it, about every 2 years some interesting new virus makes news headlines and then falls off the radar? Sometimes it's existing stuff like Ebola that trends.
Just because you don't care about the [potential] pandemic, it doesn't mean the [potential] pandemic won't care about you.

If you follow along, SARS and MERS took 10x as long to reach the same levels. Persistent on surface for days, transmitted via aerosols and feces.

Wash your hands and don't touch your face.

Quote:
Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCOV) renamed to Covid-19 ... https://www.tremeritus.net/2020/02/1...v-to-covid-19/ The Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCOV) that has wrecked havoc in China and dozens of countries around the world has been given a new official name by the World Health Organisation (WHO) - Covid 19.

Novel coronavirus renamed MERS-CoV: WHO --China Economic Net en.ce.cn/World/organization/201305/29/t20130529_1061916.shtml[/URL]
Just like Birds of Prey, they've changed the name to obfuscate the damage being done.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #8448 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

absurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Is that statement not absurd on it's face?

Just because you don't care about the [potential] pandemic, it doesn't mean the [potential] pandemic won't care about you.

If you follow along, SARS and MERS took 10x as long to reach the same levels. Persistent on surface for days, transmitted via aerosols and feces.

Just like Birds of Prey, they've changed the name to obfuscate the damage being done.
So far,none of you guys have produced any peer-reviewed,scientific research paper,which establishes any causal relationship to climate change outside of anthropogenic greenhouse gases. Oilpan-4 said there were 25-30 of them,then refuses to provide any of them,when directly asked to do so.It's hard to have a conversation about something when there's a unilateral flow of information.

NeilBlanchard (02-13-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #8449 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

If it becomes enough of a problem, I'll hear about it in passing.

The flu kills about 1 out of every 500-1000 that get infected. That's quite a lot.

Washing hands and keeping them away from mucus membranes is always a good habit.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 02-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #8450 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Which part of that quote are you responding to?
Quote:
So far,none of you guys have produced any peer-reviewed,scientific research paper,which establishes any causal relationship to climate change outside of anthropogenic greenhouse gases.
There is a continual daily stream of papers. IDK how to identify the ones that have passed review. Here's are today's:
Quote:
Today's Featured Links:
Cosmic Rays Cool: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2002.04277.pdf
Ice Ages, New Mystery: https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/ne...
Qarman Cubesat: http://www.esa.int/Enabling_Support/S...
Super Space Travel: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2002.03247.pdf
That's only four, could you take a look?

What's more important, 'past performance does not guarantee future results'. The only thing I see increasing is Chaos. Snowing in Bagdad?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-12-2020)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam