Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
You said in the other thread you've already converted a van to run on LPG.

You could go that way with a diesel as well, and substitute up to 70% of the diesel while technically going the easier way (i.e. lower pressure LPG instead of high pressure CNG).

Scuba gear has been adapted and used for CNG compressors, as it's built for similar pressures (250 bar + margin)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This is how all CNG pumping discussions ends up. Blah Blah Blah.... Do you have something to offer? Do you have USEFUL INFO? Do you read the FIRST POST? This is all about how to pump CNG and not how to something else.....
Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
You said in the other thread you've already converted a van to run on LPG.

You could go that way with a diesel as well, and substitute up to 70% of the diesel while technically going the easier way (i.e. lower pressure LPG instead of high pressure CNG).
LPG costs 82 cents a liter and compare to diesel fuel energy it actually costs close to $1.... where cng costs just a bit over 40 cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Scuba gear has been adapted and used for CNG compressors, as it's built for similar pressures (250 bar + margin)
This is all just words do you know details? If yes share please... I can talk about nothing non stop but what is the point?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I used to think screw compressors were more effective and eventually less dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
If you're looking to improve the efficiency of your Diesel truck, why not do something like add a CAI, or add water injection, or put in a freer-flowing exhaust or induction system? Diesel engine efficiency is related to how well it can pass stuff within it (freer-flowing exhaust and induction), as well as how much stuff it can pass (colder air or water).
Water+meth with an EGR delete is the way to go with a Diesel to increase the efficiency. But seems like his goal is actually not the combustion enhancement, just the savings due to the lower cost of CNG. Water+meth might still remain effective using CNG combined with Diesel.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
This is how all CNG pumping discussions ends up. Blah Blah Blah.... Do you have something to offer? Do you have USEFUL INFO? Do you read the FIRST POST? This is all about how to pump CNG and not how to something else.....
Yes, and I also read your SECOND POST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
1.I have a diesel truck and I want to add CNG to get better fuel economy and extra power...
I gave you two alternate ideas to get better fuel economy and extra power, while others stated that it was not terribly realistic to do DIY CNG compression. Good luck blowing yourself up.

Unsubscribed.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I used to think screw compressors were more effective and eventually less dangerous.

Water+meth with an EGR delete is the way to go with a Diesel to increase the efficiency. But seems like his goal is actually not the combustion enhancement, just the savings due to the lower cost of CNG. Water+meth might still remain effective using CNG combined with Diesel.
Here is a good discussion about water meth injection...:

Water Methanol injection Page1 - Diesel Power Forums at Diesel Power Magazine

Also CNG is not a magic fuel.... It can be used in gas vehicle and diesel but my question is again... "HOW TO PUMP IT ?????" Let's move on
Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
bla bla bla, somebody do all my research for my half baked project for me, while I ignore all alternate suggestions and reason itself, bla bla bla.

You even got a scuba suggestion, takes 10 seconds to google:
Compressors | ShoeBox Compressor << ShoeBox Compressors - The World's Smallest & Lightest 4500 PSI Compressor

I don't know about compressing flammable fluids, you might have to do your own experimenting in an outbuilding, and buy term life. You pays your money, you takes your chances. ~$2000 including a fibre tank.

googling for "shoebox cng" returns what you already know:

bla bla bla, google already.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The problem with shoebox compressor is it has no carter, all blow-by will go to atmosphere...
There is no not expensive scuba compressors and parts for them are super expensive.

My plan is use York 210 AC compressor for "1 stage". It can get to 500 Psi and even over but I want to be on safe side, this is why I choose 200 Psi. York 210 is a high volume compressor, so I will need to run it @ 400-600 rpm max.

To avoid using explosion proof motors I think of using hydraulic motor to run York 210. Also hydraulic drive will give me flexibility in rpm and torque.

Once I built myself a drilling rig without any plans just from my head. I drilled 15 holes 80' each around my house. I installed my own geothermal system and now I enjoy year round comfort and pay next to nothing for it. Everyone was saying NO NO NO. But I did it.

Another thing. Where I live bbq propane is 3 times more expensive compare to auto propane. One day I said to myself this is F*** BS and build a propane pump. Guess what I used? I had a fuel injection pump from Honda outboard sitting on my shelf and collecting dust. First I pressure tested it to !!!! 500 PSI !!!! Yes this is correct 500 PSI. I left it connected for 24 hours. Nothing happened to it. Propane pressure will be 150 Psi max but I wanted to be safe... Now I buy auto propane using my forklift tank and I pump propane just like you pump gasoline or water to what ever container I need.

I forgot to mention all my equipment converted to run on propane including lawnmower.... so my next step is CNG.....

Last edited by vlad; 11-25-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
So if you were to throw this 15 gallon tank in the bed of your truck and pump it up to 175 psi of methane (NG), how close would that get you to two gallons gasoline equivalent?
DAYTON ELECTRIC MANUFACTURING CO./SPEEDAIRE Air Tank,Stationary,175 PSI,15 Gal,Horiz - Stationary Air Tanks - 1TZZ2|1TZZ2 - Grainger Industrial Supply

50 lbs, 3 feet wide, $450. 15 gal ~ 2 cu feet. One GGE of natural gas is 126.67 cubic feet equivalent, I think it is pretty close, not sure..

Last edited by P-hack; 11-25-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
So if you were to throw this 15 gallon tank in the bed of your truck and pump it up to 175 psi of methane (NG), how close would that get you to two gallons gasoline equivalent?
DAYTON ELECTRIC MANUFACTURING CO./SPEEDAIRE Air Tank,Stationary,175 PSI,15 Gal,Horiz - Stationary Air Tanks - 1TZZ2|1TZZ2 - Grainger Industrial Supply

50 lbs, 3 feet wide, $450. 15 gal ~ 2 cu feet. One GGE of natural gas is 126.67 cubic feet equivalent, I think it is pretty close, not sure..

175 Psi /15 Psi=17 times compression.
2 ft3 x17 = 34 ft3

34/127=0.27 GGE or about 1 liter....... Not so much....

This is why I bought 2 CNG tanks (type 1 heavy 3000 Psi). They are 1.5+1.5 cubic feet.

I need 1200-1300 Psi to get 2 GGE.
1300/15=86 compression
86x3=258 ft3
258/127=2 GGE

I would never put this kind of pressure into propane or air tank. Less pressure is not more.... So don't call me an idiot..... trying to blowing himself....

I can see We start getting Ideas... This is GOOD Let's move on

Reply  Post New Thread