Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2023, 10:37 PM   #71 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
One thing to note is that a trunk does keep things safely secured. I knew a lady who was killed by stuff in the back of her station wagon coming up and hitting her in a single car accident.
You seem to have known a variety of people who have died in very unlikely ways.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2023, 11:06 PM   #72 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You seem to have known a variety of people who have died in very unlikely ways.
What can I say. Everyone I've known has either died or is going to die.

This was a neighbor's sister. According to my neighbor the accident happened at 25mph on an icy road and it was skiing equipment that was in the back that came up and hit her. I didn't get the rest of the details.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:51 AM   #73 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
The used full size Chevy vans have not increased at nearly the rate of the smaller vans. Maybe this is an indicator that businesses are concerned about operating costs? Gee, who knew?
Most likely second-hand van buyers in California tend to prefer something more in line with an European taste, so the last all-American van might tend to get a lower resale value. Not to mention being seen as nothing more than a simple workhorse may imply it's more likely to be used for heavier jobs which may cause more wear and tear.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:54 AM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That really too bad...

Quote:
I've allways thought the 4 cylinder diesel Expresses (Savanas) were awesome! Too bad they don't make them anymore. In fact, the Chevy Express and GMC Savana are slated to be canceled in the upcomming years.
If GM had promoted these vans properly, they probably would have been be quite popular. Dramatically lower cost of operation and huge intervals between refuelings. Full frame for heavy loads and towing. They would of crushed the Turbo v-6 trucks.

However, its like they didn't exist. I'm glad I got one. The amount of money I am saving in fuel costs over the v-8 models is going to buy its replacement in about 12 years....though I may just keep this one going with an engine rebuild. Body is under warranty by Ziebart... so all I need to worry about is mechanical.
The Following User Says Thank You to EcoVan For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoVan View Post
If GM had promoted these vans properly, they probably would have been be quite popular. Dramatically lower cost of operation and huge intervals between refuelings. Full frame for heavy loads and towing. They would of crushed the Turbo v-6 trucks.

However, its like they didn't exist. I'm glad I got one. The amount of money I am saving in fuel costs over the v-8 models is going to buy its replacement in about 12 years....though I may just keep this one going with an engine rebuild. Body is under warranty by Ziebart... so all I need to worry about is mechanical.
Have you thought of insulation wrapping the exhaust for better longevity? I've heard that diesel exhaust parts like more heat as they have a harder time staying up to proper temperatures.

I miss my 1985 VW diesel. That car is immortal. I'd love to have a diesel again.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I hadn't heard that

but it does make sense. I am so glad that I insulated the whole interior since the engine doesn't put out much heat. However, the insulated interior stays warm at 0F driving with just the fan on low now and A/C in the summer is easy too. Probably has upped the mileage.

The only thing I'd worry about with insulating the exhaust is the regen cycle. The exhaust is supposed to get really hot then.

The 4 banger diesel just makes so much sense in vehicles for this use. Lots cheaper than the 6 cyclinder diesel to make, but all the torque you need.

I guess GM is replacing these vans with an electric. That certainly won't work for us and with the electrical shortages expanding across most of the U. S., I wouldn't want one. I am in Chicago and we are one of the only major cities in the U. S. that is not running out of electricity during extreme winter temperatures, but I bet that time is coming quickly. The efficiency programs are probably going to only go so far to cover the huge increased loads from heat pumps and electric road vehicles.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:09 PM   #77 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoVan View Post
but it does make sense...

The only thing I'd worry about with insulating the exhaust is the regen cycle. The exhaust is supposed to get really hot then.

The 4 banger diesel just makes so much sense in vehicles for this use. Lots cheaper than the 6 cyclinder diesel to make, but all the torque you need.
The idea is that it will burn less fuel to get hot enough to regen if it's insulated. It will also stay hot for longer after the regen takes place burning up more of the particulate matter and thus help keep the DPF cleaner. It would also keep the catalytic converter closer to optimal temperatures and help that not get clogged up as diesels have cooler exhaust temperatures than gassers.

Starting at 15:08 on this video:

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 03-15-2023 at 03:16 PM..
Old 03-16-2023, 01:02 AM   #78 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
It will also stay hot for longer after the regen takes place burning up more of the particulate matter and thus help keep the DPF cleaner. It would also keep the catalytic converter closer to optimal temperatures and help that not get clogged up as diesels have cooler exhaust temperatures than gassers.
A hotter exhaust would allow a passive regen to happen more often during longer drives, decreasing the amount of active regens required.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:26 AM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I've allways thought the 4 cylinder diesel Expresses (Savanas) were awesome! Too bad they don't make them anymore.
Were these sold in the US? I never knew. At one time I wanted one of those 2.7L I5 diesel Sprinter vans. Something like these may have got me to sell my Toyota pickup many years ago.

Quote:
One thing to note is that a trunk does keep things safely secured. I knew a lady who was killed by stuff in the back of her station wagon coming up and hitting her in a single car accident.
This reminds me of the time I totaled my 1975 Corolla. I slid into a rock at least half the size of the car at 45 mph. It crushed the rear corner, bent the frame, sheered one leaf spring in half, almost removed the rear axle. The only injury I suffered was the knot on my head from a can of pineapples in the back seat hitting me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissandriver For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-17-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 03:16 AM   #80 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissandriver View Post
Were these sold in the US?
Yes, but the engine was sourced from that factory in Thailand which GM sold to the Chinese GWM. Odd enough, the very same engine is still being made in Brazil.

Quote:
At one time I wanted one of those 2.7L I5 diesel Sprinter vans.
I remember seeing just one US-spec Sprinter in my hometown, turned into a campervan and driven by a redneck girl who was travelling through South America.

Reply  Post New Thread