Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Concept: Feet-forward 1.6L VW diesel motorcycle

Before I even start, I should say that my ambitions often greatly exceed my time & ability to fulfill them.

For a couple of months now, I've been mulling a new project idea. For a few months now I've been using by garage to built some new cabinets for my wife, which are pretty near done now. After that I have an old 1927 antique single-cylinder farm engine that I started restoring year ago that I need to finish. After I'm done with that, I figure I should get around $1000 for it or so. Here's what I'm thinking of doing with the money.

Buy an old Volkswagen with a 1.6L diesel in it. I figure, if I shop around I should be able to buy something with a decent engine and a rusted out body for $500 or so. I think the naturally aspirated 1.6L's are pretty easy to come by, but I'm not sure whether I'd try to find a turbo'd one or not--need to do some more research on that. Anyway, I'm thinking of puting that engine into a feet-forward motorcycle like this:

That way the frontal area is minimized. Maybe at some point I could even build aero-fairings to make it really slippery.

I figure that engine should have pletty of power to make it fun to ride, and yet be quite efficient. Should also be easily converted to run waste veggie oil. Especially with fairings, I think 100-150 mpg would be very reasonable.

As far as the tranmission goes, I'm not sure whether it'd be better to try to use the VW tranny (I'd likely get it with the car). The other option would be to try to use a motorcycle transmission--I would probably try to find a bike with a blown motor for sale cheap. I'm afraid the motorcycle tranny probably wouldn't be geared too well (since motocycle engine tend to spin so fast), and also might not be able to take the torque. Not sure how I'd shift the car transmission on a bike either.

Another challenge would be mounting of the radiator (if I mount it behind the rider, as shown above).

Anyway, don't hold you're breath waiting for me to start this project , but feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

And if anyone else wants to "steal" my idea, please feel free--I'll enjoy watching you do the work.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've looked into the diesel bike with VW 1.6 and the difficult part is finding a suitable transmission where you can gear it proper and it be reliable. I have seen jack shafts run off the crank, but that puts a side load onto the crank it and it's bearings weren't designed for. It has 5 main caps/bearings but it makes me nervous to do that. The intermediate shaft in it runs the oil pump and vacuum pump. It rotates opposite of the same shaft in a gas motor. If you get the timing belt tension too tight it will destroy the intermediate shaft bearings.

I have seen pictures of a bike in europe that uses the VW transaxle and the CV output runs the rear wheel via shaft drive. Also seen one that uses belts and jack shaft to put the pawer thru a 2stroke bike transmision. I'm at work on lunch so can't link any pictures.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedV View Post
I've looked into the diesel bike with VW 1.6 and the difficult part is finding a suitable transmission where you can gear it proper and it be reliable. I have seen jack shafts run off the crank, but that puts a side load onto the crank it and it's bearings weren't designed for. It has 5 main caps/bearings but it makes me nervous to do that. The intermediate shaft in it runs the oil pump and vacuum pump. It rotates opposite of the same shaft in a gas motor. If you get the timing belt tension too tight it will destroy the intermediate shaft bearings.

I have seen pictures of a bike in europe that uses the VW transaxle and the CV output runs the rear wheel via shaft drive. Also seen one that uses belts and jack shaft to put the pawer thru a 2stroke bike transmision. I'm at work on lunch so can't link any pictures.
This might be the bike you're referring to:

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 10-15-2012 at 01:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (01-11-2013)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Go to bikeweb.com and check out the various FFs.

The Voyager FF used an 850cc Reliant (tank starter motor) IL4 coupled to a Moto Guzzi transmission and rear drive. That was a front-engine FF. There have been various car-engined motorcycles like the Shifty and Amazonas. Some of them used the car trans but converting that to sequential shifting may not be a trivial task. You might have an easier time, considering the torque available in an auto engine, going with an automatic transmission instead of manual. A 2 or 3 speed would probably be fine.

Car trans tend to be a 1:1 direct drive off the engine, though there may be an internal reduction. A motorcycle trans has a significant (3:1-4:1) reduction BEFORE the transmission.

cheers,
Michael
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Nicely done. normally aspirated, rear engine, front transmission, leading link forks. The drive axle is a great touch, big fancy housing at the front and brass plate at the rear wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
This might be the bike you're referring to:

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yup, that's the one. there are more ideas at DieselBike.net - Diesel Motorcycles using Volkswagen Parts

the diesel fighter is the other one I was thinking of. I can't find the translated page tonight. My google foo is weak tonight
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Yeah those two wheelers are decent. Now get Honda to make a touring diesel motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedV View Post
Yup, that's the one. there are more ideas at DieselBike.net - Diesel Motorcycles using Volkswagen Parts

the diesel fighter is the other one I was thinking of. I can't find the translated page tonight. My google foo is weak tonight

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Now get Honda to make a touring diesel motorcycle.
ths close enough? DieselBike.net Diesel Motorcycles using Honda parts. one has a 1600 Turbo VW diesel on that page.

I think Yamaha has a patent for a diesel, Hayes has the KLR diesel maybe being produced in India but wouldn't say if it will imported to USA when I point blank asked Fred, and the Track CDi business went under from the poor economy and Holland getting 38% tax on the bike. Other than that, you gotta make your own.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

The military klr 600 I think is a diesel.
Probably the most complete and useful to date. I don't think it is for sale to the public.

I have to comment on C-dogs transmission system.

Wonder how many fingers he has left.

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rapturee

Sippy2 - '15 Honda NC700XD DCT
90 day: 59.51 mpg (US)

Shorty - '02 Ford F150 XL
so what's the news/update on the Diesel Bike...? :{)

Reply  Post New Thread