Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Conversion: 91 Honda Accord w/ HHO

So anyways I decided to put the stimulus to some good use. Study'd up on how electrolysis works and decided to build my own HHO system to add efficency to my car, its the least I can do for Stan Meyer. But don't get me wrong, I hypermile like a mother****er, my friends call me crazy because I shift to neutral and shut the engine off and roll about a mile and a half into a parking lot. Right now im no big ecoist, I guess thats what i'll call you dudes around here. But doing simple math would show that im averaging 33ish MPG city. HHO is said to at minimum increase effencency by double, so I should average 66ish MPG city after the conversion, and performance shall improve!

I'm going to use 6 Cells, running off my car battery. Each should pull about an ampere.

I'm still in the brain storming stage, but soon I will be taking plenty of picks to post, tommorow im picking up all the supplys i'll need from a local hardware shop.

"An eye for a eye leaves the whole world blind" - Ghandi

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Seige Tank

yarii - '07 Toyota Yaris 4dr (auto)
90 day: 41.37 mpg (US)

Bullet Bill - '07 Toyota Yaris 2dr hatch
90 day: 36.19 mpg (US)
"But don't get me wrong, I hypermile like a mother****er, my friends call me crazy because I shift to neutral and shut the engine off and roll about a mile and a half into a parking lot."

hmm pretty sure I have seen this some place else ^^

I am not trying to save the planet, just trying to hurt it a little less

Yaris build thread

what is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
You mean stan meyer the guy convicted of fraud? Stanley Meyer's water fuel cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying the HHO concept is wrong, I'm just saying you should be wary of the claims made by the people selling it.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
94 Acura Vigor "FlexFuel"

HHO IS A FRAUD!!! I cannot believe that people still think you can get something from nothing. If you are seriously considering installing an HHO;
FIRST take a look at all the fuel logs on this site and gassavers.org and notice that a large large majority of those that stated "installed HHO" or something similar, did not gain any mileage. Some lost mileage, others may have gained incremental mileage however no more than anyone else "new" to hypermiling and making normal tank-to-tank gains.
SECOND do some research on the science. You don't have to look in to the science of an HHO too much before you realize that an HHO increasing FE is about as likely as a perpetual motion car....unless you believe something like that is possible.
THIRD if HHO was so great (something from nothing) then CNN, Popular Mechanics, Motor Trend, and Ford would be all over it and the inventor would win a Nobel Prize!
I hope there's a money-back guarantee with these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
You mean stan meyer the guy convicted of fraud? Stanley Meyer's water fuel cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying the HHO concept is wrong, I'm just saying you should be wary of the claims made by the people selling it.

E85 ~$3.17/gal.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower4VT View Post
HHO IS A FRAUD!!! I cannot believe that people still think you can get something from nothing. If you are seriously considering installing an HHO;
FIRST take a look at all the fuel logs on this site and gassavers.org and notice that a large large majority of those that stated "installed HHO" or something similar, did not gain any mileage. Some lost mileage, others may have gained incremental mileage however no more than anyone else "new" to hypermiling and making normal tank-to-tank gains.
SECOND do some research on the science. You don't have to look in to the science of an HHO too much before you realize that an HHO increasing FE is about as likely as a perpetual motion car....unless you believe something like that is possible.
THIRD if HHO was so great (something from nothing) then CNN, Popular Mechanics, Motor Trend, and Ford would be all over it and the inventor would win a Nobel Prize!
I hope there's a money-back guarantee with these things.
I did not buy anything and I'm not listening to the people that are selling anything, I have HHO systems home-made that work. You just simply have to know chemistry. I have my own HHO designs that im implenting into the car, I have done my study work using simple science.

What are you talking about getting something from nothing? Hydrogen is far from nothing my friend, perhaps you should study up before flaming the torch. Hydrogen is way more combustible than your gasoline you crave so much.

Last edited by anox195; 07-16-2008 at 12:07 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
94 Acura Vigor "FlexFuel"

I actually I know a good amount about chemistry, and also researched hydrogen, how it's formed, and how much energy it takes to form it. Why don't you inform me on what you know about hydrogen. How big is your HHO water tank? How much water can you use before you have to refill it?..a cup?...a pint? If so, do you know how much hydrogen you can get from that cup or pint? If you know that, then you'd realize that unless you have a very short commute, and/or are filling the tank up everyday, then the extra mileage you get from burning hydrogen is extremely minimal based on what I found when I researched (1) how much hydrogen is required to be burned to get "x" number of miles, and (2) how much actual hydrogen you get from a cup or pint of water. I did do my research. And if this HHO is so great, and hydrogen is SO "combustible" then why not hook up a 10 gallon tank in the trunk and run it totally on hydrogen?!...I'd love to hear a scientific answer to that question. If it's possible, I will be converting asap. I'm not flaming, I'm just trying to point out the fraud that HHO is and save you all time and money. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anox195 View Post

What are you talking about getting something from nothing? Hydrogen is far from nothing my friend, perhaps you should study up before flaming the torch. Hydrogen is way more combustible than your gasoline you crave so much.

E85 ~$3.17/gal.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Actually, I think the reason car manufacturers wouldnt implement something like this is -people are stupid. If people cant even remember to change their oil and check their tire pressure, theres no chance in hell they will be refilling their hho tank or adding the catalyst etc.

I used to work at a mechanic shop and you wouldnt believe some of the things people do (44k miles w/o an oil change, yeah that one was dead). HHO is better left in the hands of the DIYers who will actually maintain it, as the average person couldnt handle the responsibility of adding water once in a while.

Also, its not 'something from nothing' as you need the electricity to create it. Research shows that hydrogen boosting a gas motor has the potential to work, even if the technology to make it truly efficient is not widely available yet. Most people are quick to hate on the idea, calling it perpetual motion etc, but to date no one has any conclusive documented proof either way; therefore I will remain undecided until the time some hard data is available.

How can anyone get the data if no one is willing to test these HHO ideas? They cant. As long as your not wasting big money on a premade kit by some fly-by-night company claiming the impossible, whats the harm in spending a little money to build and test something that may actually prove beneficial in some vehicles?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Ldave View Post
Actually, I think the reason car manufacturers wouldnt implement something like this is -people are stupid. If people cant even remember to change their oil and check their tire pressure, theres no chance in hell they will be refilling their hho tank or adding the catalyst etc.

I used to work at a mechanic shop and you wouldnt believe some of the things people do (44k miles w/o an oil change, yeah that one was dead). HHO is better left in the hands of the DIYers who will actually maintain it, as the average person couldnt handle the responsibility of adding water once in a while.

Also, its not 'something from nothing' as you need the electricity to create it. Research shows that hydrogen boosting a gas motor has the potential to work, even if the technology to make it truly efficient is not widely available yet. Most people are quick to hate on the idea, calling it perpetual motion etc, but to date no one has any conclusive documented proof either way; therefore I will remain undecided until the time some hard data is available.

How can anyone get the data if no one is willing to test these HHO ideas? They cant. As long as your not wasting big money on a premade kit by some fly-by-night company claiming the impossible, whats the harm in spending a little money to build and test something that may actually prove beneficial in some vehicles?
Exactly!

Anyways I went to the local hardware shop and bought about $75 (30ish Euro) worth of supplies. Bought almost everything I needed up to the cells, walmart doesn't have the right size cell I want, also decided to go with the double cell design instead of 6, Ill add the others after perfecting the 2.

I'm still thinking of what to do with the O2 sensors though, I will probably end up insulating them with foil to reduce the oxygen levels. (Thats why alot of people see no gains from HHO.)

Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower4VT View Post
I actually I know a good amount about chemistry, and also researched hydrogen, how it's formed, and how much energy it takes to form it. Why don't you inform me on what you know about hydrogen. How big is your HHO water tank? How much water can you use before you have to refill it?..a cup?...a pint? If so, do you know how much hydrogen you can get from that cup or pint? If you know that, then you'd realize that unless you have a very short commute, and/or are filling the tank up everyday, then the extra mileage you get from burning hydrogen is extremely minimal based on what I found when I researched (1) how much hydrogen is required to be burned to get "x" number of miles, and (2) how much actual hydrogen you get from a cup or pint of water. I did do my research. And if this HHO is so great, and hydrogen is SO "combustible" then why not hook up a 10 gallon tank in the trunk and run it totally on hydrogen?!...I'd love to hear a scientific answer to that question. If it's possible, I will be converting asap. I'm not flaming, I'm just trying to point out the fraud that HHO is and save you all time and money. Thanks.
Ill be using 2 1 quart tanks, each will be cleaned and refilled with distilled water every 2 months. The car will not be running on pure hydrogen which I think you might be confused here its merely using less gas to run because im injecting hydrogen vapor where gasoline vapor is to fill the volume. Thus dramatically increasing MPG. I plan to tweak the water with saturating it in brown's gas for a few minutes before installing it, and adding a teaspoon of baking soda.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Baking soda is actually a rather poor catalyst. Check out these free plans from smack, he seems to have some good info.

http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/

Closed Thread  Post New Thread