Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Could the loophole allowing imports of JDM mini trucks also benefit Brazilian coupé-utilities?

Even though I wouldn't hold my breath for the average redneck to look at the FWD trucklets the same way they're taken seriously as a workhorse in Brazil and regional export markets, their cabs are better suited to taller people than JDM Kei-class mini trucks and their Chinese copies. Not sure if the early Fiat Strada having been certified by the European Union back in the day would make it easier to register a 15-year old one in Canada for instance, or the fact that some versions featured engines similar to those of certain US-spec versions of models such as the Fiat 500 could render it easier to meet EPA requirements in order to allow some registration as road-legal instead of being restricted to the same "off-road only" standard applied to most JDM mini trucks.

Even though a 4WD option was never available for models such as the Fiat Strada, which can be considered a disadvantage compared to the JDM mini trucks and some Chinese copies of the Suzuki Carry, besides the bare-bones trims there were fancier off-road themed ones too

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even though I wouldn't hold my breath for the average redneck to look at the FWD trucklets the same way they're taken seriously as a workhorse in Brazil and regional export markets, their cabs are better suited to taller people than JDM Kei-class mini trucks and their Chinese copies. Not sure if the early Fiat Strada having been certified by the European Union back in the day would make it easier to register a 15-year old one in Canada for instance, or the fact that some versions featured engines similar to those of certain US-spec versions of models such as the Fiat 500 could render it easier to meet EPA requirements in order to allow some registration as road-legal instead of being restricted to the same "off-road only" standard applied to most JDM mini trucks.
In the USA they would be treated exactly the same as a JDM truck.

I doubt the engines used in Brazil are the same spec as Europe. I know ours are not. We have different versions of the same engine for different markets with different emission standards. The long blocks are the same but a lot of the rest is different. Even if the engine was the same you would hire a lab do EPA emission testing on it to legally register a Brazilian import in the USA for use in all 50 states. The last time I had that done in an independent lab was 2010 and it was about $200K.

However, some states will register just about anything so states that allow someone to register JDM trucks, UTVs, and Roxers for street use would likely also allow unibody trucks from Brazil.

I always like the VW Caddy but prices got out of hand. This one is for sale in Portland for $7K!

There are also still some Dodge Rampage and Plymouth Scamps out there.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Is the average 25 year old Brazilian truck let rust free, clean body, straight with a good running drivetrain
Old 07-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
In the USA they would be treated exactly the same as a JDM truck.
That's what I would expect.

Quote:
I doubt the engines used in Brazil are the same spec as Europe.
At least for the gasoline-powered versions, when Fiat exported Brazilian trucklets to Europe, the engines were exactly the same. Turbodiesel was only for export, yet it had some differences between European, Latin American and South African spec.

Quote:
I know ours are not. We have different versions of the same engine for different markets with different emission standards. The long blocks are the same but a lot of the rest is different.
When the Fiat 500 was released in Brazil, before the US-spec versions began to be made in Mexico, the Polish-made ones came with a 16-valve version of the 1.4L FIRE engine, yet the US-spec came with the 8-valve which had been already fitted to the Fiat Strada since 2004. Exactly the same engine.

Quote:
Even if the engine was the same you would hire a lab do EPA emission testing on it to legally register a Brazilian import in the USA for use in all 50 states. The last time I had that done in an independent lab was 2010 and it was about $200K.
I was considering easier to get the EPA approval, not cheaper. And even if some importer could attempt to bring them as a glider kit for the fitment of an engine already certified, since most engines fitted to Brazilian trucklets have at least one US-spec analogue it would be technically possible.

Quote:
However, some states will register just about anything so states that allow someone to register JDM trucks, UTVs, and Roxers for street use would likely also allow unibody trucks from Brazil.
Such conditional registrations are what I had in mind when I mentioned some possibility to apply for the same loopholes, even though the Brazilian trucklets still seem easier to federalize than a JDM kei truck.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Is the average 25 year old Brazilian truck let rust free, clean body, straight with a good running drivetrain
Besides not being usual to pour salt on the roads here, nowadays people are taking better care even of such utilitarian vehicles, even though they used to be more neglected until recently. On a sidenote, today while walking the dog I saw a square-body VW Saveiro being carried on a platform-truck, and its floor at the pick-up box was so rusty it looked like puff pastry (but I guess that was one I used to see in my mother's neighborhood, and I knew it had been possibly the most neglected one I've ever seen)...
Old 07-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
When the Fiat 500 was released in Brazil, before the US-spec versions began to be made in Mexico, the Polish-made ones came with a 16-valve version of the 1.4L FIRE engine, yet the US-spec came with the 8-valve which had been already fitted to the Fiat Strada since 2004. Exactly the same engine.
Given the large differences between European and Brazilian emission standards and the fact that your standard gasoline has large amounts of ethanol a really doubt the engines are exactly the same. I don't doubt they are both 1.4L 16 valve FIRE engines. I do doubt they are tuned exactly the same and Fiat is spending money on expensive emission controls that they don't need to sell cars in Brazil.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I do doubt they are tuned exactly the same and Fiat is spending money on expensive emission controls that they don't need to sell cars in Brazil.
Economics of scale dictate much of the hardware to be essentially the same, as Brazil is an export hub and some automakers actually export engines made here to markets with stricter emission regulations, even though the flexfuel tune is only common in Brazil and Paraguay.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Given the large differences between European and Brazilian emission standards and the fact that your standard gasoline has large amounts of ethanol a really doubt the engines are exactly the same. I don't doubt they are both 1.4L 16 valve FIRE engines. I do doubt they are tuned exactly the same and Fiat is spending money on expensive emission controls that they don't need to sell cars in Brazil.
If the Brazilian Fiat is a diesel 5mt then I care, gassers can be bought right here local.

Ditto Smart CDI 5mt diesels

All to young to import anyway
Old 08-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
If the Brazilian Fiat is a diesel 5mt then I care, gassers can be bought right here local.
IIRC the last Diesel-powered Fiat Strada versions were made either in 2019 or 2020, before switching to the current generation which doesn't feature this option anymore.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
IIRC the last Diesel-powered Fiat Strada versions were made either in 2019 or 2020, before switching to the current generation which doesn't feature this option anymore.
US Import laws would restrict to 1996 or older cars.

Reply  Post New Thread