Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #51 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Perhaps, but I tend to believe the story as given, that he took the drugs to cope with the stress of his wife's medical problems.

Stress is stress though, and it all accumulates. The stress of giving many public lectures is additional to all of the other stresses in life, so they are contributing factors.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

The problem of many prescribed drugs for pain and ansiety it's that it's like Big Mac. People don't eat 1/2 Big Mac, and usually ate until feel very full.

People with pain and ansiety usually don't take pills to reduce the pain/ansiety, but take to complete mask it. And many doctors also prescribed more than the adequate, or have no good controll of how much someone needs, as don't see patients often.

Jordan cold blood face, with nerves of steel, almost frozen face, suggests me he took a lot of it, until his ansiety be reduces (temporally) to zero.

Anyway his ddiction it's definitive, like alcoholism. The next drink (pill of Klonopin) and he will return to the cicle of vice. I wonder how this middle age medicine will treat his ansiety now. A new drug? Creating a new future addiction?
Garbage field...

Rule number 13 : Stay away from Klonopin and don't tend to easily trust in prescribed drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Perhaps, but I tend to believe the story as given, that he took the drugs to cope with the stress of his wife's medical problems.

Stress is stress though, and it all accumulates. The stress of giving many public lectures is additional to all of the other stresses in life, so they are contributing factors.

Last edited by All Darc; 10-01-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 10-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

We know your disdain for medicine, and I'm sympathetic considering you only get about 2 questions deep on a subject before the top experts in the world begin saying they have no clue how things work. Brain understanding is even worse than other anatomy. Some drugs can't even answer the first question; how does it reduce x symptom. Ever hear the commercial for Lyrica? They tell people in the commercial itself they have no idea what it's doing. "Fibromyalgia is thought to be caused by overactive nerves, and Lyrica is thought to help calm these nerves." That explanation is as comprehensive as saying the problem is in the brain, and the drug affects brain function in some way or another.

That doesn't mean you give up though, and that doesn't mean what little understanding we have is not valuable. Fluoxetine isn't addictive, and there's no such thing as abusing it. Other drugs you mess with at your peril. I took codeine for 2 months when the nerve in my back was pinched and I had crippling painn that kept me up 22hrs most days, with some days giving me no rest at all. I took the smallest amount I could to minimally function (half a tab) and wouldn't let myself take more until 4hrs had gone past, regardless of how much pain I had 3:30 in. Zero problems stopping cold turkey when I no longer needed them.

There is an element of willpower at play, and the line between the drug having you, and you having the drug gets very blurred in the middle.

Medicine is a valid scientific field regardless of how early we are in understanding it.

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-01-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Old 10-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #54 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

Drugs are can be useful.
I fixed it for you.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Interesting in one uncle Jordan's videos, he do not tell people to avoid drugs (even ilegal). He said to people manage the use. Maybe his trip to rehab clinic now have something to say in this context...
He never looked like a happy guy... even his family photos in his instagram with his daughter (who likes to public selfies in underwear and charge for medical consults despite be not a doctor) and granddaughter.
That's why he dislike vitimization a lot, cause he is sad and in pain, and when see people in less pain than hinself and complaing, he get angry.

Anyways, like I said before, the field of menthal health it's full of such things, in considerable higher proportion of average society. Many live on antidepressants, anti anxiolytics, alcoholism, other drugs, cocain, pot... Also a lot higher suicide rates than average society...
Doctors... heal yourselves...

Last edited by All Darc; 10-02-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #56 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
I fixed it for you.
Drugs are useful when used appropriately.

I think I like that correction best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Interesting in one uncle Jordan's videos, he do not tell people to avoid drugs (even ilegal). He said to people manage the use. Maybe his trip to rehab clinic now have something to say in this context...
He never looked like a happy guy... even his family photos in his instagram with his daughter (who likes to public selfies in underwear and charge for medical consults despite be not a doctor) and granddaughter.
That's why he dislike vitimization a lot, cause he is sad and in pain, and when see people in less pain than hinself and complaing, he get angry.

Anyways, like I said before, the field of menthal health it's full of such things, in considerable higher proportion of average society. Many live on antidepressants, anti anxiolytics, alcoholism, other drugs, cocain, pot... Also a lot higher suicide rates than average society...
Doctors... heal yourselves...
He's admitted that he is prone to depression and alcohol misuse and addiction. Further than that, he's admitted that he could have been the type of person that can become a Nazi, which is why he studies the darkest things; so that he can understand why regular people like him create unnecessary hell.

My dad's friend is a mechanic who borrowed dad's car. It was minimally operational, with bald tires, worn out front end components, a leaky water pump, leaking head gasket, leaking radiator... how is it that a mechanic has mechanical problems with his car?

Being an expert in your field doesn't mean you will be successful in avoiding the problems you're expert in. Reminds me of a woman who is a Dr. of psychology (I think), who specializes in dissociative disorders. She is convinced her husband has been replaced with an imposter of exact likeness even though she specializes in knowing how that illness works, and has counselled people with that illness.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Redpoint, you can go with this strategy of try to make disavantages into advantages, but the facts are clear, they can't even help thenselves.

By the way, this woman is crazy :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

Wasn't Jordan who said father nedds juist to pay bill and not need to love their children. but just mothers was required to love them?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #58 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

You're exactly right, that people can't help themselves. If the problem manifests internally, then how are you to solve it internally? That's the whole reason Jordan checked into drug rehab. Solutions to internal problems need external attention. A conversation with yourself isn't going to be as useful as a conversation from someone with a different perspective.

I've listened to probably a hundred hours of Peterson by now, and haven't come across anything suggesting fathers not loving their children. You'd need to provide the source. His comments regarding spending time with his children seem to suggest that loving them is of high value, and that when they aren't doing well, is a source of the worst pain.

BTW- paying bills is love... and you might be getting confused with a Chris Rock comedy piece where keeping the lights on so children can read is dad's responsibility, but getting the kids to read is mom's.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

I can't confirm, and that's why I asked you about. The person who did a video making the critic didin't said his name, but said that was a person in menthal health area with a profit month really very high and with many followers, inderectlying suggesting that was Peterson.

Anyway Peterson can't be helped by a book with rules.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #60 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Knowledge is insufficient for good behavior. The Bible even says this, so the idea is very ancient.

The rules are a starting point. Without having intention, a plan, and practice, you're very unlikely to succeed at anything. Peterson discusses this too.

I'd say you should become more familiar with what you criticise so that it carries weight behind it. Saying some unidentified person made an unspecified accusation about another unidentified person isn't worth the time to listen.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-11-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread