Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I do notice one less pleasant comparison between (some) cyclists and (some) hypermilers: an apparent belief that courtesy only flows in one direction.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
If shaving legs if rear skirts, what is shaving arms? I'm probably the only one that does it but it seems dumb to do it halfway.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Pedaling in Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
Actually, for endurance minded cyclists, We all are pulling. Focusing on pulling up the clipped in pedals while letting the pedal down makes for an efficient spin instead of a push push push stroke, and uses all new muscles. Save the pushing for your breath. focus on blowing the bad air out and let the lungs fill passively.
Actually, the best cyclists Almost lift the weight of their legs off the rising pedals. The clip is to help maintain contact. Sure, you can pull up for a full ankling sprint, but your lungs can't keep up with that torque output. In general, it is hard to learn to lift the legs, because it makes the seat hurt more.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
If shaving legs if rear skirts, what is shaving arms? I'm probably the only one that does it but it seems dumb to do it halfway.
Unusual

Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That is where recumbents are useful I spin circles with lots of power on the back stroke and increase as stated for sprinting or uphill, no seat issue sitting on something that makes a lounge chair look pretty average.

Re the comment about cyclist disobeying the road rules, yep pee's me of too as a small percentage make it harder for the rest of us.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Why we shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
While there are differences in hair types, the limbs are so close to being smooth cylinders that some boundary-layer turbulators may well be desireable. Hair may also improve cooling at low density. The biggest reasons for leg shaving are to facilitate massage, and to simplify the treatment of road rash.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
While there are differences in hair types, the limbs are so close to being smooth cylinders that some boundary-layer turbulators may well be desireable. Hair may also improve cooling at low density. The biggest reasons for leg shaving are to facilitate massage, and to simplify the treatment of road rash.
Hair is too poor a conductor of heat and too thin to act as the fins of a heatsink. A significant amount will degrade cooling by acting as an insulator. However, it is also true that a close shave is not necessary for great performance. Just keeping it trimmed is enough. Then again, a lot of bike riders at my university (both racers and non-racers) shave their legs for looks.

One significant difference between hypermiling and bicycling is that while hypermiling is mostly about saving energy, saving energy is rarely the primary goal in bicycling. Instead, it is about reducing peak power usage and/or increasing speed. If anything, many ride bicycles to use up energy and lose weight! As a result, I have an idea for a hybrid to regen that energy and store it for later use. Which, of course, can be implemented with either a HSD or IMA system. If it's used purely for energy generation, the HSD bike will only need to be switched to generator mode and something used to hold it stable. The IMA bike will need a stand that lets the rear wheel spin free. The batteries will be of a type that are tolerant of deep discharge (NiMH or Li-ion) and have a connector to allow electroncis to be powered from the regened energy.

Of which, perhaps a bike based on HSD can be programmed to motor through crank angles that are inefficient and extract energy at more optimum angles for better performance? (Would that be the bicycling equivalent of Atkinson cycle?)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hair affects evaporation and turbulence, not conduction.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Hair is too poor a conductor of heat and too thin to act as the fins of a heatsink. A significant amount will degrade cooling by acting as an insulator. However, it is also true that a close shave is not necessary for great performance. Just keeping it trimmed is enough. Then again, a lot of bike riders at my university (both racers and non-racers) shave their legs for looks.
Bob has it right. It"s not for looks. It's for massage and road rash events.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Bob has it right. It"s not for looks. It's for massage and road rash events.
A lot of students at my university, even those who don't ride bikes, shave their legs just for looks.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Reply  Post New Thread