Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #151 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
That red light at the bottom of the hill that goes on forever. I have enough momentum (and the road is straight and flat enough) to go for another half mile coasting. But is it ever green? Hell no.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #152 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
^Exactly. And putting a stupid light at the bottom of the hill where for 100 years it was fine without one. Stupid breeders.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #153 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rover - '10 Mazda Tribute isport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmaar View Post
Snow that hasn't been plowed.
Snow that has been plowed... into my driveway!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #154 (permalink)
The PRC.

Driving on the A68 last week I noticed that every safe place to overtake has a speed camera on it.

Every unsafe place - where you suddenly find yourself facing someone in your lane on a blind corner - doesn't have a camera near it.

Hmmm. Safety ?

Or revenue ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
I realize I'm only partly British, but I do feel a connection to England I can't explain...
You may like this incisive view from (I think) Johnny Vaugn who is not a figure of high culture here but did well with this :

Quote:
Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home and grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #155 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
I realize I'm only partly British, but I do feel a connection to England I can't explain. So I tend to gravitate to BBC shows (Top Gear, that other Gear show, Wallace and Gromit, and the kids LOVE Shaun the Sheep.) I have to admit envy for you all for having such a strong and unique national identity, as compared to the homogenized soup of people America has become.

It has made our cheese wimpy and our beer similar to making love in a canoe. (some 4 letter word)-ing close to water. I dislike America being thought of as a bunch of sloveny rich devils that can't say no to food. But alas, not much one person can do about that.
My Mom has been in the US for almost 30 years, and she's been making her own cheese ever since I can remember.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #156 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Annoyance 1.
Where I work we have a targeted 4 hour hardware support (and a fleet of vans and engineers to do it). Our competitors don't. But they claim to have.

Annoyance 1.5
Customers believe them. At least until the first problem...

Annoyance 2.
I am like the non-canine character in this picture

when it comes to cheese, especially Wensleydale, Lancashire or other real British ones. Can I find anything decent in Edinburgh? No. The best I can come up with is some processed, reduced and time-locked plastic nonsense from a supermarket. I can of course buy loads of (very nice) overseas cheeses - anything French, Belgian and even Irish and Canadian. How about some from 200 miles down the road ? No.

I really miss the traditional markets we had in the North West of England when I was younger. Markets these days are full of knock-off designer clothes and cheap toys unsafe to be sold in shops.

Try Mellis the Cheesemongers in Glasgow's West End..
Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #157 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
my daily annoyance is a line of people, all driving in the right lane (left lane empty) when its clear your trying to pull onto the road.

this is an every day occurrence, and if it wasnt for my son being with me 95% of the time, Id start pulling out in front of them.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #158 (permalink)
Drive lots knows little

blue sipper - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 85.96 mpg (US)

BEAST - '88 Ford F250 Lariet
90 day: 24.82 mpg (US)
I have one stop light that I go by once a week or so, I have never made it on a green. Last night I thought "finally" I am gunna make it. No one was at the intersection and I was all alone on the road.

Then as I got closer, I saw a kid on a bike push the pedestrian crossing button..... ARGH!!!!

Almost 100 attempts and ZERO successful crossings in the last year.

Maybe next time
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #159 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Today's gripe: people who only look in one direction before crossing the road, because it is NEVER the direction from with you are coming. Had some foreigner walk out from between some parked cars right into my path (on my fixie, keeping left) causing me to have to weave out in front of the car behind me to avoid a speed cushion. Welcome to England, please do your best to kill cyclists and be killed by them.

That being said, a lot of cyclists over here are pretty terrible, especially at pedestrian crossings. Even to the point where I have to wave pedestrians across at a zebra crossing because they don't expect me to stop. A couple of days ago, one particular cyclist [read: idiot who just happened to be riding a mountain bike] came out of a turning on my left, looked left and started across the road. Had no idea that I was there. I have a bell but I'd rather concentrate on braking so as not to hit these imbeciles. I might just resort to shouting in future.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #160 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danncomm View Post
I have one stop light that I go by once a week or so, I have never made it on a green. Last night I thought "finally" I am gunna make it. No one was at the intersection and I was all alone on the road.

Then as I got closer, I saw a kid on a bike push the pedestrian crossing button..... ARGH!!!!

Almost 100 attempts and ZERO successful crossings in the last year.

Maybe next time
Yes! My daily annoyance too! There are two lights toward the end of my commute, fairly close, triggered by sensors (rather than having fixed timing)... either one or the other or both are red nearly every single time I want to get through... hardly ever both green. I've seen other cars ahead of me get through both no problem, but I've only been able to get through both two times in the past year. I think the sensors know I'm coming...

Reply  Post New Thread