Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #271 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Daily annoyance: lawn mowing. We seem to have a neighborhood pact that states nobody is allowed to mow if anyone else within earshot is already mowing, thus guaranteeing that at any given point in time, somebody will be out there mowing.

And then there is the guy right across from me. He mows every other day. Do you think I'm exaggerating? Nope! He's out there right now! And I thought my obsession/compulsions were bad. I'm surprised I haven't seen him out there on hands and knees cutting individual blades of grass with a nostril trimming scissors. He has an entire arsenal for yard work too- push mower, riding tractor (with all available attachments), gas string trimmer, gas leaf blower, and battery trimmer. That push mower has a mechanical problem which causes it to stall out frequently. Did I mention frequently? So it's: mow, stall, start. mow, stall, start. mow, stall, start. mow, stall, start. mow, stall, start. ad infinitum. It would take me about 3 minutes to go over there, adjust the carb and/or drop the bowl to let the water out, but eh. Maybe he'll break the recoil by then.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #272 (permalink)
The PRC.

Frank, do you have a noise polution issue especially, you post about it a lot - if so I agree, I hate it.

Across my street the houses back onto a golf course. They mow every morning at 6-30 am. We nearly bought a house on that side. Instead we were lucky enough to get one on the side where only the squirrels bother us, and the bedrooms are at the back overlooking the woods.

But yes, every weekend or holiday at every waking hour there is some kind of electric motor going somewhere in earshot here.

I thought I would try and fit in last weekend by cutting my roofing tile with the angry grinder in the evening on Friday when most of the neighbours are inside watching insipid Friday night TV or would be pished so they wouldn't notice.

It worked, nobody noticed.

However my neighbours who were once naked in the window decided my son can't play footie on the street any more in case the ball lands on their garden. Apparently we are "irritating neighbours".

Well maybe we are, but we are clothed.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #273 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

My neighborhood has gotten 50x (made up statistic) more noisy and obnoxious in the last 20 years. So-called "development" (I'm told that this is progress?) has increased the traffic load tremendously, and on top of that each traffic "unit" is noisier because of the popularity of pulling the mufflers off everything. And they didn't have 70,000 watt car stereo systems back in the day either. I've had one pet get run over already (evidence leads me to believe it was on purpose) and I fear for my current one, who really hates to be imprisoned inside. I like my property but now because of everything going on right past my borders, I hate it here. Sell it and move? Real estate market is really tough right now and besides I don't know where to move to.

But it's not just the microcosm of my neighborhood. Everywhere I know- the farm I grew up on, the grandparent's lake place, the cities I lived in before- they are ALL far, far more noisy and busy than they were.

Ever heard of the TV show the Dukes of Hazzard? Ever listened to a demolition derby? Those sound effects are pretty much what our culture of retards thinks is appropriate for neighborhoods these days.

Oh how I want $8 gas!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #274 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hear ya!
My story is that for almost a month and a 1/2, I have an unwanted Rooster bothering me, and I just found found out a day or so, that now there is a second one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They came from like 4 houses away in this semi-rural area. Apparently, the dominant male kicked these two guys out! The worst is when it starts up 13ft. away at 4:40 AM, sitting on a branch aimed right at me! I would like to get up 9:30ish instead. My landmate lives 70yards away in a mobile home; is an early riser who thinks the Rooster is cute! Many times, I have 4 hrs of sleep in, when the trouble starts, I scare him away, then ATTEMPT to re-sleep wanting to get at least 5 straight hrs. for proper adrenaline recovery time for my health. Yes, I've played SOFT! Guns are allowed here; I also can call County Animal Control for removal. I've ordered and received a slingshot, but I don't really want it dead; just gone! I come running out yelling, and it flutters off the branch, and runs along the ground JUST out of reach!I chased it 200 some yards across wet grass two mornings ago, like we were playing tag. All sweaty, w heart pumping.. lets go back to sleep... RIGHT!!!! The meanest I've been so far, is that I hit his branch w a big rock that bounced him off backwards in midair! After this violence; he REMEMBER'S for 1-2 days max. before it all starts over. I can take it if there w only be a 70yard buffer w some bushes inbetween! A friend offered me his pellet gun, which at this point, is quite tempting!!

There is a convienance store next door that is open 5:30-10PM I'm grateful that they close early, but one of their female employees actually mimics Roostie at 5:30 AM egging him on, and making it unclear to me, which target I actually should use the slingshot on first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Their lot is unchained, so many are the Friday and Saturday night temporary burnouts, and drifting I hear from there... most of those happen before I go to bed anyway.... it's nothing compared to DOODLE DOO!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #275 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

It's no longer a mystery to me why some people end up as cranky old recluses.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #276 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I hear ya!
I've ordered and received a slingshot, but I don't really want it dead; just gone! .......
A friend offered me his pellet gun, which at this point, is quite tempting!!
go with something borrowed, so that if somebody gets mad at what you do the evidence doesn't come back to you. "hmm, it was shot with a pellet gun, and fell near your house" upon searching the house they find no pellet gun and therefore no proof it was you.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #277 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
I've got too big a mouth!

Mentioned in passing to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) about a 1973 MGB GT for sale with MOT/tax but a shot clutch.. not too far from here.

Next thing I know we're going to see it on thursday- Its chrome bumpered and purple- I'm back combing my chestwig in anticipation..

I need another old scrapper like I need a hole in the head!

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #278 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
My story is that for almost a month and a 1/2, I have an unwanted Rooster bothering me, and I just found found out a day or so, that now there is a second one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chicken dinner.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #279 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
I've got too big a mouth!

Mentioned in passing to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) about a 1973 MGB GT for sale with MOT/tax but a shot clutch.. not too far from here.

Next thing I know we're going to see it on thursday- Its chrome bumpered and purple- I'm back combing my chestwig in anticipation..

I need another old scrapper like I need a hole in the head!
Save your money, they aren't that good IMHO and I have one.

EDIT - however if it is the clutch cylinders that need doing its an hour or so to swap and bleed. If the clutch itself is gone you have to pull the engine and gearbox to do it.

And then you find the rust...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #280 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
...So-called "development" (I'm told that this is progress?) has increased the traffic load tremendously...
Nice try, no banana My version of progress is something different from a time piece's, but this is not a political thread, ok ?

I agree though - in our last house we lived on a street which led nowhere. Then the builders moved in so we ended up living on a street which became the entrance to a larger housing area so we had cars more or less constantly in and out from 6am to 11pm. And don't even get me started on the lazy arses who can't even be bothered to get out and ring a door bell - no they just sit, and idle and toot their horn...

When we moved we specifically chose a house in an area already fully developed and where the borders are bounded by things which are not likely to move - like a historical golf club from the 1880s. And we chose a house at the back so we are on the way to nowhere.

We spent the first week just marvelling at how quiet it all was.

Quote:
...and on top of that each traffic "unit" is noisier because of the popularity of pulling the mufflers off everything...

Ever heard of the TV show the Dukes of Hazzard? Ever listened to a demolition derby? Those sound effects are pretty much what our culture of retards thinks is appropriate for neighborhoods these days.
I am unfortunately aware of the TV series and film from my youth - all those Chargers destroyed for no reason. Thankfully my current neighbours are all reired so they prefer silent BMWs, Skodas and Hondas. Bliss...

But we do have the occasional visitor from "The Fast and the Furious" although with a 1.4 Honda Civic its more "The Slow and the Slightly Annoyed". Their sluggishness and the fact we have speed humps on our street (to tame muppet SUV/Truck owners) means their noise lingers longer than it needs to.

Quote:
Oh how I want $8 gas!
Well move here, we have that and more

But you would have to put up with a 40% top income tax rate + national insurance so you can pay for the benefits for not only the deserving job seekers (I have no issue with that) but those who assume being fat and lazy is a disability and a 50 inch LCD TV and a premium TV contract as a right.