Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #371 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
First, New York City is not typical of America. I've seen those flags around here, though they're not common.
Well, NY is much more typical of America than a European country.

Quote:
Second, I would not call this observation anti-American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw

"I first observed this noisy way of wasting fuel in the US, but it appears to have caught on in the rest of the world. Like many other wasteful things the US exports."
The statement is blaming America and as such the comment is anti-American.

Quote:
To me it seems more anti-rest of the world.
Part of the effects of widespread prosperity and liberality is that it gives people the opportunity and freedom to spend (read: waste) their money on frivolous things. I too think it is inane - but what is the alternative? Blame? Prohibition?

Quote:
I've noticed this myself, in my travels. When other countries adopt American things, it is almost always the worst America has to offer: McDonalds, popular "music", etc.
See? That too is your judgment that what America produces is bad: McDonalds is not inherently bad. Sure, some pop music is trash, but most people enjoy it, and some of it is well crafted so it isn't all trash. McDonalds does provide employment, and if they were to vanish tomorrow, so would those jobs. Ask the people who are employed there if McDonalds is the worst thing in America - I'm sure some don't mind working there. And ask their patrons. If they hated it (as you do) McD's would be out of business.

Who are you to tell people what to sell and what to eat? Besides, an occasional hamburger never hurt anyone.

OK - so you are free to be anti-hamburger and anti-American...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #372 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Thyme (and James, Frank, and others) - Before we all go into politics again...
My post was both fact AND opinion: The facts are that I first noticed flags in the US, even before 9/11 there were stars&stripes waving, not to mention all the flags on game nights. The number of flags soared after 9/11, Afganistan and Iraq. I observed most of this in the southeastern states, so it may have been more 'tame' elsewhere, like in NY for example, though I did observe a few around JFK on 2-3 occasions.
As for the part about which American 'products' seem to be most readily imported by the rest of the world, yes, this is my opinion, though I know that I'm not a loner in this respect.

The bottom line is that flags on cars annoy me and (from my POV) it started in the US and spread to other parts of the world. It also annoys me that quite a few Americans put gas-wasting flags on their vehicles, calling it "patriotism" in the years of oil wars. It may not annoy others, but it annoys me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Ahem - these are "Engellllaaaaand" flags

I know, Englanders seem to be just as good at it as Americans.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Cd (09-01-2011), wdb (08-04-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #373 (permalink)
The PRC.

Enough flags - ed.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #374 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I know, Englanders seem to be just as good at it as Americans.
Ahem, I know I said no more but you would also have to include Spain. I was there during the last world cup...

Anyway moving on this annoyed me tonight.

Quote:
A 76-year-old Labour MP has said he and his parliamentary colleagues have an inescapable "sexual magnetism".

Paul Flynn told the BBC it was a "complete mystery" how even the "ugly, foolish and frail" became more attractive after being elected.

This led to "dangerous" situations where marriages were often put at risk.
Yeah right, thats why you MPs needed to steal all those expenses...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #375 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Ahem, I know I said no more but you would also have to include Spain. I was there during the last world cup...

Anyway moving on this annoyed me tonight.

Yeah right, thats why you MPs needed to steal all those expenses...
OK, I know you are not a Conservative. But Lord Acton was right in his famous quote: "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Most people are attracted to power and many are sycophantic those that wield it.

I also like another quote of his: "The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern."
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #376 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Well, NY is much more typical of America than a European country.
I disagree. In my experience at least, the more rural parts of many European countries are a lot more like America than New York City. (Which is not like anywhere else that I know of.)

Quote:
Who are you to tell people what to sell and what to eat? Besides, an occasional hamburger never hurt anyone.
Me, of course, since I am the ultimate arbiter of taste :-)

And I believe we were discussing McDonalds, not hamburgers, which if done right can be quite tasty. (You should try my teriyaki mushroom cheeseburger sometime.) The problem is that McDonalds (and similar fast food chains) simply do not do food right.

Then there's the whole cultural thing. Why bother to go anywhere, when it's just like the place you left?
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #377 (permalink)
The PRC.

Thyme - it may come as a surprise but those of us on the non-conservative side of the street (actually I'm more of a mix...) also believe the members of the "political elite" (phrase (c) T. Blair 1997) are more and more disconnected from the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
OK, I know you are not a Conservative. But Lord Acton was right in his famous quote: "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."...
Ironically a descendant of his is proving this just now. But that is another can of worms I am not opening here.

My annoyance of the day ? Looks like Mrs A will be working next week when we are supposed to be on leave. Which means neither of us get a break as we work together...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #378 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I disagree. In my experience at least, the more rural parts of many European countries are a lot more like America than New York City. (Which is not like anywhere else that I know of.)
The NY metro area is very similar to the entire Northeast corridor from Boston to Wash. DC. I suppose that large region is not representative of America, either?

Quote:
And I believe we were discussing McDonalds, not hamburgers, which if done right can be quite tasty. (You should try my teriyaki mushroom cheeseburger sometime.) The problem is that McDonalds (and similar fast food chains) simply do not do food right.
So don't eat there. But I think your dislike of McD's is more than just being about their food. You expressed disdain for the widespread popularity of McD's - not only in America, but worldwide. As such, you are opposed to what McD's represents: the spread and acceptance of American culture, globally.

Quote:
Then there's the whole cultural thing. Why bother to go anywhere, when it's just like the place you left?
France and other foreign countries will never be "just like" America, so that is nonsense. But there is a reason why McD's was vandalized there. McD's has long been a target of the anti-globalist Left. Since it represents American culture, that is reason enough for you to hate it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #379 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
my daily annoyance is checking my bank and noticing less money in the account than should be, then finding out my newly named bank (Wachovia -> wells fargo) charges a fee now when money is pulled from my savings to my checking...
I specifically looked for that when they were doing the change over and there was nothing mentioned about it.
so today I get to go to my bank and tell them either return the money they forgot to tell me they would pull for this situation, or I will find another bank.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #380 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am annoyed with companies that try to force you to do business with them. Consumer Reports recently sent me a solicitation to join.I decided to join, but before the first of the month when my income arrives, they sent me a bill for joining them. I got so angry that I sent their bill back with some unkind words written on it. I WILL NOT BE FORCED TO JOIN WITH THESE MARKETING METHODS. There now I feel better.

Reply  Post New Thread