Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #391 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Nope. Look at a map sometime, and notice what a small fraction of the country that northeast corridor actually is.
It is one of the most populated areas of the country, unlike the sparsely populated area where YOU live. You will need more than just a map to understand that.

Quote:
Then spend a little time in areas of that corridor outside the NYC metro area - and not that far out, either, say north of Tarrytown* through most of Connecticut into eastern Massachusetts - and you'll see that it's not much like NYC at all.
I have spent the past 35 years traveling several times a year to stay with my in-laws who lived on a farm in Massachusetts. But you assume I've never seen a rural area before. How disgustingly condescending of you.

Quote:
(I spent some time at IBM's Watson Lab, just north of Tarrytown, a few years ago when they were first developing the BlueGene. It's an interesting place, on a hill about 30 miles from Manhattan. From the entry you have a panoramic view to the north & west, and you can't even see another building.)
Wow, I'm so impressed. Maybe you deserve a medal. But what does this have to do with the topic of flags on cars? Nothing. Despite your preeminence, I still don't see any in this part of the country at all. It's probably just a passing fad.

Quote:
Why not go back and read what I actually wrote?
OK, you asked for it. Here it is, verbatim: "When other countries adopt American things, it is almost always the worst America has to offer: McDonalds, popular "music", etc."

You cited it as being one of the worst things about America.

Do you really think we can't read or that we have no recollection of what you wrote? (Of course you do. It's your denial, combined with condescension again.)

Quote:
Oh, merde! First, I'm not in any way, shape, or form a leftist.
Merde, alors. You have the same hatred for it as the anti-globalist Left does.

Quote:
Second, I don't hate McDonalds, I regard it with contempt.
Oh, pardonnez-moi! "Contempt" is so much more enlightened and sophisticated than ordinary "hatred"!

Quote:
Third, my dislike of McDonalds and similar enterprises, like that of many people, has nothing to do with Americanization, globalization, or politics, and everything to do with the love of good food. (The left may jump on the issue and use it, as they do with others, but we can't help that.)
Your "dislike" of enterprise in general is the same as the Left, your pronounced "contempt" is also in step with that same sentiment shared by the Left, and your epitomizing McD's as being the worst of America is also of that same stripe. Yet you are deep in denial, using the rationalization that the sole issue is their food. Who do you think you are kidding?

Quote:
(The left may jump on the issue and use it, as they do with others, but we can't help that.)
And it is all too obvious that their goal is the same as yours, and you don't want "to help that", for the end result being the same suits you just fine.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #392 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Oooh - oooh! Another daily annoyance! People who 911-ify things that have no relevance to that event whatsoever.
The topic was about flags on cars and my recounting that it was the only instance of it seen in this area was solely a statement of fact.

That IS relevant. Deal with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #393 (permalink)
The PRC.

My moan for today, my daily moan has been taken over by politics and globalisation
Cd (08-05-2011), d0sitmatr (08-05-2011), Frank Lee (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #394 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post

My moan for today, my daily moan has been taken over by politics and globalisation

Typical Americans

mind you, if they're in your thread, there must be oil in your garden..

Get drilling

*THIS IS A JOKE, NO OFFENCE MEANT!*

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #395 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Today's annoyance: People who shop at the organic food eco-store and request that each item be individually packed in its own plastic bag. Someone's just not getting it

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #396 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
It is one of the most populated areas of the country, unlike the sparsely populated area where YOU live.
Which makes it less like the rest of the country, no?

Quote:
I have spent the past 35 years traveling several times a year to stay with my in-laws who lived on a farm in Massachusetts. But you assume I've never seen a rural area before. How disgustingly condescending of you.
No, I didn't assume you've never seen a rural area, I assumed that you had never seen the substantial amounts of rural area that exist within that Northeast corridor which you claimed is like NYC. Since you say you have seen some of it, my original assumption was wrong, and I now have to assume that you're either a) a liar; or b) unable to draw conclusions from your observations.

Quote:
But what does this have to do with the topic of flags on cars? Nothing.
It is an observation that goes to disprove your claim that the Northeast corridor is all like NYC. Watson is only about 30 miles from Manhattan, yet is fairly rural. I could have picked many other places to use as examples; I chose one that I had visited fairly recently, and so had first-hand knowledge of.

Quote:
You cited it as being one of the worst things about America.
Yes, I did, and still do. But the point I was trying to make - which seems to have escaped you entirely - was about other countries. Now if you don't think McDonalds &c are among the worst things about the US, I can only say that tastes differ, and I'm glad I don't share yours.

Quote:
Do you really think we can't read or that we have no recollection of what you wrote?
No, it's your lack of reading comprehension that I see as being the problem here.

Quote:
Oh, pardonnez-moi! "Contempt" is so much more enlightened and sophisticated than ordinary "hatred"!
I wouldn't know about that, but it IS different. In addition to reading comprehension, I'd suggest some work on vocabulary :-)

Quote:
Your "dislike" of enterprise in general is the same as the Left...
And why would you think I dislike enterprise in general? I'm all in favor of it. I just think it ought to be directed towards improving quality of life, rather than creating messes which the rest of us have to live with.

Quote:
...your pronounced "contempt" is also in step with that same sentiment shared by the Left...
Add political science to the list of things you need to work on.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #397 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
(and no, OSX and Linux are no better, just less targeted).
Sure, please carry on with M$, help provide a huge target, so we alternative OS-ers can freely surf about.
Thank you !

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #398 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Today's annoyance: People who shop at the organic food eco-store and request that each item be individually packed in its own plastic bag. Someone's just not getting it
Plastic bags became paid bags here, many shops stopped offering one-way bags altogether, so you don't get many of them anymore when shopping.

Net result ?
Many people are now buying trash bags for just that sole purpose ... to trash 'm.

We used to re-use the better carrying bags until they wore out, then use them as trash bags. We're now using bread bags inside the very thin plastic bags that are still offered for fruit and some bulk products.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #399 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I was at one a few years ago and a lady complained that her freshly purchased lettuce had insects on it. Er, yeah - that means they didn't spray it. She just looked shocked like civilisation had just ended around her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Sure, please carry on with M$, help provide a huge target, so we alternative OS-ers can freely surf about.
Thank you !
No thank you! You Apple adopters are field testing the technology that the rest of us adopt when its proven to work. Obviously OSX and Safari didn't make it and itunes is just waiting for someone to make an annoyance free version, but hey that touchy phone thing might just be a goer if the costs can be controlled.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #400 (permalink)
The guy slowing you down

"The Poop Wgn" - '02 Mazda B2300 Base
90 day: 30.59 mpg (US)
"I was at one a few years ago and a lady complained that her freshly purchased lettuce had insects on it."

Heh, she should try that here in Rednekabad. Local shopkeeps would charge extra for the bonus protein.

Reply  Post New Thread