Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'd rather not consider anything below 13hp for road use, altough the power-to-weight ratio would still be worse than an average 125cc gasser bike such as the Honda CG 125 which had been the most popular motorcycle back here in Brazil, altough it's currently offered with a 150cc engine. But the torque-to-weight ratio of those 400 to 450cc small Diesels still sound favorable...

BTW one thing I have been lurking about would be planetary hub-gears.
Which is where a Craig Vetter type fairing comes in. From the drag coefficient of his fairing suggested here
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-24166-10.html and using the calculator at the top of this page I calculate a top speed for a 10hp diesel powered bike WITH a Vetter style fairing would give 70mph and 120mpg US..... but as you say, 55 mph without a fairing .

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #122 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Which is where a Craig Vetter type fairing comes in. From the drag coefficient of his fairing suggested here
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-24166-10.html and using the calculator at the top of this page I calculate a top speed for a 10hp diesel powered bike WITH a Vetter style fairing would give 70mph and 120mpg US..... but as you say, 55 mph without a fairing .
That wouldn't work for me since I'd want a dual-purpose (on/off-road) motorcycle
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
That wouldn't work for me since I'd want a dual-purpose (on/off-road) motorcycle

Me too, but I can't see why a fairing wouldn't be acceptable unless you ride very rough stuff. I mainly ride dirt roads and forestry trails and the Vetter fairing wouldn't stop me.... but it would allow highway use.

A standard bike uses too much power pushing air out of the way.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

!

Quote:
Yes, that's my KLR I redid the intake and exhaust! The intake now breathes through the stock air cleaner, (much bigger than what was on it) and I made the exhaust with rounded smooth tubing to the gutted stock muffler And a couple of other cosmetic changes!

Quote:
Me too, but I can't see why a fairing wouldn't be acceptable unless you ride very rough stuff. I mainly ride dirt roads and forestry trails and the Vetter fairing wouldn't stop me.... but it would allow highway use.

A standard bike uses too much power pushing air out of the way.
True! That's why it's top end is only 55 mph1 I use mine out here at the Ranch in the Country, riding around the pastures and running up the road to visit the other pasture at my cousins ranch And stopping at the local convience store for ice cream treats! (I don't drink alcohol, but can eat my weight in ice cream) My only vice I promise!
But even as chunky in the wind as it, it still gets 130 mpg on a good day! I only registered 98 mpg as I flogged it testing and trying to get more ponies out of it!

This bikes performance would be greatly improved for street use, if it just had a 5 speed transmission from a Royal Infield But those things are made out of gold if you didn't know already! Not enough room for a bigger transmission! That's why I'm building the Diesel Tiger, it's got a lot more room in the engine area! But I still don't think it would maintain 65 mph in all conditions! Although it does rev to 4 grand easily! Just not under load as the drive belt slips as it heats up!

But, Like I said, I bought it as an teaching tool!
It sure is an attention getter! One guy ran into the gas station to tell the attendant to shut off my pump because I began pumping diesel in my motorcyle by mistake! Had to explain to them both that it really did run on diesel! The look on their faces ! Texans are not use to that sort of thing!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I thought the diesel bike forum was posted in this thread already. DieselBike.net • Index page Its off the parent site DieselBike.net | The Original Diesel Motorcycle website

Also, Craig Vetter had the Alcan Fairing in the design stage. The one off his wifes F650 thumper was listed for sale last time I saw. it will work for dual sport but from talking to him it reflects a good amount of engine noise back tot he rider.

I rode around on a CB250 while contemplating a diesel bike build. 20HP is not enough to run with interstate traffic and even back road traffic where I live. You must have aero and/or larger motor for Hwy cruising. Hills and gravity = going up. I have watched video of the 10hp bikes in europe. Scary!! your life is in the hands of the observant driver who is about to run you over. With US drivers, best have your life insurance paid up.

the ultima trans for Harley's have been used in several diesel builds and at $600 to $1000 they are decently priced and durable compared to lighter duty transmissions.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #126 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Come to think of it, the electric motor in my Electric Kawasaki KZ440 clocks in as a 12 hp. I have it geared (single-speed) for a 45 mph top speed.

I always figured that if I wanted, I could re-gear it for a higher top speed pretty easy, but would lose some of my acceleration as a trade-off. I ride mostly in town, so I've never had any reason to change it.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #127 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Those "blades", from what I remember, are from a forced-cooling fan. Then, why not to work around an electric fan???
The engine wont' need forced cooling to run properly on an open frame motorcycle, so you can cut/mill the blades off the flywheel and remove the tins entirely. One of the 'be careful' aspects of this engine is the relatively light duty charging system, mostly since they were designed to be used in stationary jobs like pumps and generators where lighting wasnt' the primary function. A 65w headlight and 13w tail light and 7-10wx4 marker/turn lights would be about the extent it can handle comfortably IIRC.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are models with electric start and the capacity to charge a battery to run the starter.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There are options for using LED or HID lights to cut the amount of power needed. Some people have reworked charging systems of the little diesel engines to increase their amp output.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The original Yanmars had good charging capacity, some of the clones don't.... I wonder if the Yanmar windings would fit a clone?

Reply  Post New Thread