Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Engine oil does not burn cleanly. You could pyrolyze it and run the distillate, but either way you are creating tons of air pollution just to save a few dollars in fuel.

Please be responsible.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Engine oil does not burn cleanly. You could pyrolyze it and run the distillate, but either way you are creating tons of air pollution just to save a few dollars in fuel.

Please be responsible.
what are you talking about? engine oil, diesel, gasoline, are all very closely related.

Heck the DEFINITION of diesel includes a mix of gasoline and engine oil.

Don't talk of things you do not know.

Please be responsible.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
what are you talking about? engine oil, diesel, gasoline, are all very closely related.

Heck the DEFINITION of diesel includes a mix of gasoline and engine oil.

Don't talk of things you do not know.

Please be responsible.

Hence they call diesels "oil burners". Original diesels ran on coal and saw dust but the injection was problematic, hence the switch over to waste oil.

What is the optic sensor used for in the injection pump, something to do with a computer?

If injectors crud up why not run water in the intake an steam clean the cylinders?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
If injectors crud up why not run water in the intake an steam clean the cylinders?
This will not clean the crud from the internals of the injectors - mainly the plunger, spring and orifices. It typically happens with SVO or WVO that is insufficiently heated, or many other non-diesel fuels forced through it. Literally.

If you are playing around with a vehicle with a DPF, I HIGHLY recommend staying away from anything that contains synthetics like engine oils or ATF. They will fill the DPF with ash in no time flat. The ash will not regen out and you will be removing the DPF to clean or replace it.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
This will not clean the crud from the internals of the injectors - mainly the plunger, spring and orifices. It typically happens with SVO or WVO that is insufficiently heated, or many other non-diesel fuels forced through it. Literally.

If you are playing around with a vehicle with a DPF, I HIGHLY recommend staying away from anything that contains synthetics like engine oils or ATF. They will fill the DPF with ash in no time flat. The ash will not regen out and you will be removing the DPF to clean or replace it.
Agreed. Only thing to remember is that newer common rail fuel systems are much more sensitive to debris. The reason being is that the pressures are much highr (on the orger of 30,000 psi) that means the tolerances for all the moving parts are very tight and also, the actual spray holes of the injector are extremely small. If you take out a modern common rail injector and look at the tip, you litterally almost need a magnifying glass to see the spray holes.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creasey View Post
Natural gas?
Westport HD :: Natural Gas Engines for Heavy-Duty Trucks

I have a hunch that LNG is the future. CNG is highly range limited, even with a large 4000 psi vessel. LNG can fit six times the natural gas in the same space, and it is safer because of the much lower pressure.

I did the mechanic training for the product in this link, and I gotta say, I am a believer.

Last edited by mechman600; 04-21-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread