Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knightrun - '08 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 31.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Spinners!

...bolt w/ nut and washers with a T-nut on the back of the cap:

And replace the acorn nut with a button-head Allen bolt:

I think a T nut like the one pictured above would bust the cap apart as soon as you tightened the bolt. Isn't that for wood use, where it can sink in?

~SM

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Karmann Eclectric

Odysseus - '00 Honda Odyssey

MR BEAN - '12 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE

Karmann Eclectric - '71 VW Karmann Ghia Electric Conversion

BOB - '87 Ford 250 Lariat ext cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
I think a T nut like the one pictured above would bust the cap apart as soon as you tightened the bolt. Isn't that for wood use, where it can sink in?
~SM
Agreed- I'm loving rivnuts. They are a hollow rivet with threaded center, and putting a washer to back it up allows use on plastic substrates.

45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit
The Following User Says Thank You to jray3 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-13-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Blazer - '00 Chevy Blazer LT
90 day: 16.31 mpg (US)
Do you have any pics of the blazer after this mod?

Also, for other blazer owners, I have a 2000 LT 2WD and my wheels are completely different. I can still put pizza pans on but I'm gonna have to drill a hole in my center cap
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbwatson View Post
Do you have any pics of the blazer after this mod?

Also, for other blazer owners, I have a 2000 LT 2WD and my wheels are completely different. I can still put pizza pans on but I'm gonna have to drill a hole in my center cap
he sold it.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wrx - '02 subaru impreza wrx wagon
90 day: 33.81 mpg (US)

Leg - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Just curious if anyone has tested the difference between this mod or brake dust shields. It's less invasive and seems to act in a similar manner. The avg cost is 20$ for a set with the only work having to be done is remove the wheels and reinstall with dust shield. Google search showed a single pizza pan with shipping is ~12, and then there is the needed hardware and fabrication materials.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Dust brake shields mount behind the wheel, between the rim and the brake hub; whereas wheel covers mount on the outside of the wheel, in the actual air slip stream. The dust shield will mitigate some of the turbulence within the wheel well, but is not anywhere as effective upon the air slip stream that's passing over the outside of the wheel assembly as a smooth wheel cover.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Dust brake shields mount behind the wheel, between the rim and the brake hub; whereas wheel covers mount on the outside of the wheel, in the actual air slip stream. The dust shield will mitigate some of the turbulence within the wheel well, but is not anywhere as effective upon the air slip stream that's passing over the outside of the wheel assembly as a smooth wheel cover.
I get that but I want to know if anyone has test the difference, cost and time its easier to just plug and play. But if you can gain even a 1mpg more the cost and time could pay out better for pizza pans.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hakuna Matata

Avalon - '99 Toyota Avalon XLS
As I performed several aero mods at the same time, I cannot quantify any fuel economy gains from this particular mod.

I can say that with four wheel covers, dual exterior mirror delete, a large amount of weight reduction, and a full grille block I had attained between 18 and 20mpg city in this 98 4x4 Blazer. This was up 20-30% from the 15mpg city the original owner attained over the course of 220,000 miles.

At present I am driving an 05 Honda Civic Hybrid, and unfortunately for the sake of the thread I no longer have any need for aero-modded wheels.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylit20 View Post
As I performed several aero mods at the same time, I cannot quantify any fuel economy gains from this particular mod.

I can say that with four wheel covers, dual exterior mirror delete, a large amount of weight reduction, and a full grille block I had attained between 18 and 20mpg city in this 98 4x4 Blazer. This was up 20-30% from the 15mpg city the original owner attained over the course of 220,000 miles.

At present I am driving an 05 Honda Civic Hybrid, and unfortunately for the sake of the thread I no longer have any need for aero-modded wheels.
First aero mods are almost completely insignificant in the city, second given the extent of mods at once wheel covers account for maybe 5% and that would give .05x4 = 0.2mpg therefore a very insignificant gain. An even better gain for a vehicle like a all time 4x4 would be drive shaft and rear axle delete, would have seen 30 or more mpgs.

Again I'm looking for a clear analysis of the two different options, anyone with them already and can afford to chuck out the change to prove the significance.

Reply  Post New Thread