Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2015, 05:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
You need to already have a clutch switch or the injector kill won't work (well). IMA has to be disabled with the clutch switch or it'll keep trying to re-start.

When the clutch switch is off it won't try to re-start unless you shift into gear, making it a perfect P&G platform. Of course, when you need to charge up the IMA you have to turn the clutch switch back on. That's where I use my brake regen button, to force more juice back into the IMA battery since I rarely have the clutch switch on now. I also use my battery tender almost nightly now..

Last edited by cowmeat; 01-05-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
You need to already have a clutch switch or the injector kill won't work (well). IMA has to be disabled with the clutch switch or it'll keep trying to re-start.

When the clutch switch is off it won't try to re-start unless you shift into gear, making it a perfect P&G platform. Of course, when you need to charge up the IMA you have to turn the clutch switch back on. That's where I use my brake regen button, to force more juice back into the IMA battery since I rarely have the clutch switch on now. I also use my battery tender almost nightly now..
Do me a favor the next time you go out for a drive, try the following.

Push clutch in at 35mph.
Kill engine via injector kill.
Push your brake regen switch and hold it.
Release foot from clutch.

I am curious if the car will restart. If it doesn't, it would provide a much easier way then flipping a clutch switch every time you want assist/regen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I was thinking of setting it up like this:

The blue need not be grounded, AFAIK, so long as activating the switch breaks power to the injectors.

Edit: I appreciate you figuring this out. It's an elegant solution.
Thats exactly how mine is set up. The ground is for the relay, not the injectors. However, it's still hot when you have the button pushed hence me having reservations about grounding it near the airbag.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Quote:
I am curious if the car will restart. If it doesn't, it would provide a much easier way then flipping a clutch switch every time you want assist/regen again.
Not if Daox comes through with my 3-button shift knob!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Got mine set up!

I had previously cut a hole for the button but it interfered with the turn signal, so I had to cut another slightly lower. I need to get a big washer to cover the hole, but perforated board was all I had.

I attached the relay to a bolt-hole that was already in the rail, using one of the stock coated bolts used all over the car. I sandwiched the grounds between the relay and the rail, and ran the wire to my switch through the same grommet as the +12v for my amp.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Got mine set up!

I had previously cut a hole for the button but it interfered with the turn signal, so I had to cut another slightly lower. I need to get a big washer to cover the hole, but perforated board was all I had.

I attached the relay to a bolt-hole that was already in the rail, using one of the stock coated bolts used all over the car. I sandwiched the grounds between the relay and the rail, and ran the wire to my switch through the same grommet as the +12v for my amp.
Nice! It does work, right?

Also remember guys, the DC-DC converter does NOT run when you kill the engine this way, so if your going to be P&G a lot, keep an eye on your 12v levels if your running radio/headlights/other power drawing applications at night.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yep, works great. Thanks for coming up with this!

I'm going to need to find a balance with EoC and regenerative braking, or just not use assist as much when accelerating, because the hybrid battery was a bit lower when I got home than when I left. On the positive side, I was above 105mpg for a bit on my way home from clothes shopping earlier, but the last hill before my house brought me down to 82, which admittedly is still a record for driving in this town in traffic.

Last edited by Ecky; 01-05-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Yep, works great. Thanks for coming up with this!

I'm going to need to find a balance with EoC and regenerative braking, or just not use assist as much when accelerating, because the hybrid battery was a bit lower when I got home than when I left. On the positive side, I was above 105mpg for a bit on my way home from clothes shopping earlier, but the last hill before my house brought me down to 82, which admittedly is still a record for driving in this town in traffic.
Only use assist when accelerating in first gear. I find I lose most battery power when using it in 2nd.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Ecky, is that a momentary or a pop-up?

I'm switching mine to a momentary when I get the new shift knob since I don't really need the pop-up I have now. It's convenient in the fact that I just hit it and I don't have to hold it while the injectors die, but every once in a while I forget to pop it back up and I look like an idiot at the light when my car immediately stalls

I averaged over 80 mpg on the way home last night on the first day of this tank, so that's a positive sign!

Where did you go in through the firewall, btw? I just cut a small hole between the clutch and gas pedal on mine.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Momentary. I went through the firewall on the passenger side, just below the glove box. Used a screwdriver to poke a hole in the grommet, and then used it to push the wire through.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I believe the cold side is the yellow and black. With the relay, you're cutting the ground to the injectors, not the power.

Reply  Post New Thread